Audio-GD DI-20
Jan 10, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #616 of 5,348
"There was a cleanwave button on my P3. Out of curiosity is there any diff in running with it on and off? I'm not even sure if that function applies to the high current outlets."

The "clean wave" function is a degausser of sorts.

"Have you connected your Aries G2 to the DI via HDMI?"

The Aries G2 has an HDMI input, but it is not the I2s protocol, but a "Aurilac specific" connection for their high-end re-clocker. Also, the DI is I2s out only, not input.
I find it odd and disconcerting that another member here is experiencing the same "phase glitch" that I am hearing, and even more so that it could be caused by an external clock. I am using the Gustard C16, which is by no means a Mutec REF-10 ( which I just sold), but I would believe it might perform somewhat better than many of the lower end Ebay versions.
I have odered another clock to see if the glitch remains. My hypothesis is the oven itself is the cause. In the cheaper units, used ocxos are utiized.

Jan 11, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #617 of 5,348
The Aries G2 has an HDMI input...the DI is I2s out only, not input.

Thank you for the explanation, I had not thought that the Aries G2 has in only (on the pics of the backpanel looks like a out) and the DI has out only.

I apologize in advance for the OT but want to avoid misinformations on my part...
a "Aurilac specific" connection for their high-end re-clocker.

I know Auralic‘s „Lightning Link“ but I had understand that the L-Link from Aries G2 is designed only for the Vega G2 DAC and it’s not possible to connect the Master clock Leo GX (or other master clock devices) to the Aries G2 directly without the Vega G2. This was one of the reason why I bought the Aries G1 instead G2.

Jan 11, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #619 of 5,348
Hi Fred, thanks for inquiring. I am at the 575ish mark regarding hours. There has been a noticeable improvement, but I have been doing very little critical listening lately. I am noticing an anomaly that I have no idea of it’s origin: every so often...maybe 3-5-10 minutes apart, I will experience a 2-3 second moment of a very noticeable “out of phase” sound. It sounds like the whole sonic picture goes wacky and the soundstage becomes extremely diffuse and out of focus. It’s extremely annoying. I’ve just sort of chalked up to break-in, but I figured that after 500 hours, should have stooped. I have the HE plugged into my PS Audio P20 regenerator which may be a mistake. When I get time, I will try plugging into the wall, or into one of the high current outlets on the P10. I exclusively using the hdmi out of the DI, as that is the reason I purchased it. The PSA Directstream Dac I use is optimized for I2s input. I have mentioned this before, but so far, I had a much better experience with my U16. And if I cannot get the DI to at least match, or out-perform the Gustard, I will sell the Audio GD. It’s not encouraging to me when I read that some on this thread prefer the other non hdmi outs...which is a non starter for me. I have an Auralic Aries G2 as my source, and I can assure that it is a worthy source. Has anyone else experienced the random out of phase glitches?
Have you tried i2s with serial mode (di settings)?

Jan 11, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #621 of 5,348
I have the same 'glitch' issue using external clock and parallel data processing. Have been silent waiting on another OCXO to arrive but since others are reporting so will I. Happens on I2S, SPDIF, or AES/EBU. Are we all running the same DI firmware??????

I am using Oscilloquartz OCXO with a +12.5V power supply voltage. 120V AC fed by Furman 15i Elite. I have tried OCXO power supplies, cables - various lengths and 50ohm attenuators. Process of elimination! Since I can't swap DIs my only other course is to try a different 10M clock.

I am not too excited as I don't think the external clock is unlocking and relocking. I see no indication on the DI front panel of bad clock. So if I still have the 'glitch' with a different external clock I will report to Kingwa.

My description of the 'glitch' is every few minutes (but can go a long time before experiencing) is the left channel will dropout followed by the right channel. It is sort of like analog tape dropout at the outset. And experience out of phase sound for brief second mainly in the right channel as sound corrects. Happens fast and brief.

My DI20HE works perfectly on internal clocks or even serial data processing and external clock. Only external clock and parallel data processing is where I hear a glitch.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #624 of 5,348
Who is using the di with external clock without issue here, and are you on 240V or 120V?

I have one of the very first DI20-HE (240V50Hz) delivered.(1130h on it now) I have no issues using parallell setting and ext XO without any issues. I feed the R7 (parallell DoP fw) via HDMI/I2S, AES/EBU, ACSS SPDIF. All works perfectly.
/Jan

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #626 of 5,348
Well, for me the DI-20 is a clear upgrade against the U16.

On the other hand, I've just tried on the DI-20 the HDMI I2S and the AES/EBU outputs. All the system remained the same during the test, just switching inputs on my R8 DAC with both cables connected. The cables used were a 2.1 HDMI 8K 0.3m long chinese cable (I think the one @FredA recommended) and a fake chinese Nordost Odin XLR 1m long cable (wich I must say also sounds very nice as XLR).

Well, the AES/EBU input was a clear winner, as @FredA and @DACLadder anticipated. What I noticed the most was improved instrument separation and 3D pin point image. Bass was also better. Staying for now with the AES/EBU cable. Thank you for the advice!

Just sharing a contrary opinion of mine :

I have listened to music via AES/EBU for the past half a week and done some A/B against IIS into my 2019 R7HE (R7 2020 firmware).

AES cable is Mogami Gold 1.5m, HDMI is 0.3m Wireworld Starlight. Glenn Studios OTL headamp with various tube rolls, ZMF Verite Ltd cans via Norne Einvaldi cable.

My personal experience is that HDMI IIS is better, the dynamics and presentation have more energy and vivid realism. Where I can clearly hear a difference with AES is that it sounds a tad more relaxed. That made it a good option for input to the DAC when i wanted to listen to metal/rock tracks. But anything vocal centric, acoustic - i would press the selector back to IIS in a jiffy.

Jan 11, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #627 of 5,348
Where I can clearly hear a difference with AES is that it sounds a tad more relaxed.
With prior gear I way preferred AES over coax. When conditions were less than ideal for i2s' critical nature, AES was that great middle ground between coax and i2s.
While I don't have an AES on my r2r7, the $20 2ft copper Belden HDMI is a touch more relaxed compared to the 3ft AudioQuest Vodka (10% silver). It was fun switching DAC inputs to use the one best suited for the song I was listening, but that may come to an end with this Belden i2s.

Jan 11, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #628 of 5,348
Just sharing a contrary opinion of mine :

I have listened to music via AES/EBU for the past half a week and done some A/B against IIS into my 2019 R7HE (R7 2020 firmware).

AES cable is Mogami Gold 1.5m, HDMI is 0.3m Wireworld Starlight. Glenn Studios OTL headamp with various tube rolls, ZMF Verite Ltd cans via Norne Einvaldi cable.

My personal experience is that HDMI IIS is better, the dynamics and presentation have more energy and vivid realism. Where I can clearly hear a difference with AES is that it sounds a tad more relaxed. That made it a good option for input to the DAC when i wanted to listen to metal/rock tracks. But anything vocal centric, acoustic - i would press the selector back to IIS in a jiffy.
Yeah really nice to have different flavors. Of course, the result you get is highly dependent on which specific cables are used.

Jan 11, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #629 of 5,348
With prior gear I way preferred AES over coax. When conditions were less than ideal for i2s' critical nature, AES was that great middle ground between coax and i2s.
While I don't have an AES on my r2r7, the $20 2ft copper Belden HDMI is a touch more relaxed compared to the 3ft AudioQuest Vodka (10% silver). It was fun switching DAC inputs to use the one best suited for the song I was listening, but that may come to an end with this Belden i2s.
Nice to hear good things about the Belden not even burned in. I will get mine today.

Jan 11, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #630 of 5,348
In my system R2R 7 (R7 2020 firmware) - I2S- DI-20HE (internal clocks), it seems to me that wireworld ultraviolet 7 (1m) cable is smoother than moshou 2.1 8K (0,5m) .
DI-20 HE has only 200 hours, the width and depth of the stage is very good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back