Audio-GD DI-20
Jan 8, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #586 of 5,351
A friend recently lent me his Van Den Hul Flat HEAC HDMI cable to try, vs the Moshou flat 8K HDMI, the VDH was more balanced and a bit faster. I mentioned previously the R7HE treble is a bit fatiguing particularly with Joan of Arc (Jennifer Warnes), no longer the case with VDH as my HDMI. However the soundstage and imaging wasn't as good as the Moshou, probably because they don't make them in 0.5m, so longer cable = more jitter.

Then speaking to Kingwa he recommended me to try his favourite HDMI cable, the WireWorld Chroma7. Kingwa wasn't wrong with his recommendation, the Chroma7 is the best of both worlds, it doesn't sound overly sharp, it has the speed and balance of the VDH and the soundstage accuracy of the Moshou.

For HDMI, i have the Chroma 7 in 0.3m, Ultraviolet 7 in 0.6m and Starlight in 0.3m. Using the latter currently for IIS with my R7HE, no complaints. I also really like how BNC ACSS into my Master-11S sounds, currently using cheap Belden 4794R BNC.

IMG_20200109_015614.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #587 of 5,351
Then speaking to Kingwa he recommended me to try his favourite HDMI cable, the WireWorld Chroma7. Kingwa wasn't wrong with his recommendation, the Chroma7 is the best of both worlds, it doesn't sound overly sharp, it has the speed and balance of the VDH and the soundstage accuracy of the Moshou.
Is your Moshou hdmi 2.1 or not? Optical or not?
WireWorld Chroma7 has not high price I wonder
Could you ask Kingwa about his favorite usb cable please? I am choosing now) need one for three meters long

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #588 of 5,351
For HDMI, i have the Chroma 7 in 0.3m, Ultraviolet 7 in 0.6m and Starlight in 0.3m. Using the latter currently for IIS with my R7HE, no complaints. I also really like how BNC ACSS into my Master-11S sounds, currently using cheap Belden 4694R BNC.

Thanks, now you've gotten me interested in Starlight but I'm having a hard time finding them in 0.3m, they seem to have discontinued it.

@REAN1MAT0R Kingwa did say USB cables didn't make much difference to him. Moshou 8K is HDMI 2.1, it's not optical, you really only start to need optical from 15m onwards. For carrying I2S, you'll want to stay under 1m.

Jan 8, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #590 of 5,351
Kingwa did say USB cables didn't make much difference to him. Moshou 8K is HDMI 2.1, it's not optical, you really only start to need optical from 15m onwards. For carrying I2S, you'll want to stay under 1m.
This MOSHOU hdmi 2.1 is not optical
but this MOUSHOU hdmi 2.1 IS optical

Everybody say usb cable does matter
But how we cant trust to Kingwa

Jan 8, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #591 of 5,351
Just ordered a Blue Jeans Cables series-fe 0.3m to try it. Cheap, nothing to loose.
I got the 0.6m

Everybody say usb cable does matter
But how we cant trust to Kingwa
when my system was crappy, the only thing that made a difference was the volume button
when the system was around $5k then I heard speaker cables, interconnects, and USB cables
and when I upgraded from 87dB to 105db speaker efficiency then the power cables were talking to me, I could hear the difference in footers, and also that fidelizer tool.

Jan 8, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #592 of 5,351
I got the 0.6m

As good as some say, Victor?

[edit] what an idiot i am, you just mentioned ordering it, i got the idea from you!

I only got the 0.3 cause i could not get the 0.6m from amazon.ca. Otherwise i had to pay 25$ in shipping ordering from BJC...

The bounded wire pair makes sense to me. But again, d-110 from dh lahs uses a twisted pair which works very well. We'll see. For hdmi, there is a form of parallel transmission involved so having the most equal overall charactistics for the 4 lines is mandatory.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #593 of 5,351
I predict my 1.0m audioquest vodka will beat the bluejean because the vodka is from China and so is my r2r7 (in theory nothing would be lost in translation)

I'm fortunate my r2r7 doesn't have an AES input -- one less variable to my balancing act

Jan 8, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #594 of 5,351
I predict my 1.0m audioquest vodka will beat the bluejean because the vodka is from China and so is my r2r7 (in theory nothing would be lost in translation)
sorry but I am from Russia
and vodka is from Russia
vodka is already beating Russia
and will beat China

Jan 8, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #595 of 5,351

I'm fortunate my r2r7 doesn't have an AES input -- one less variable to my balancing act
Replacing the rca by aes/ebu is a rather simple task with some soldering skills. But in the end, either bnc/balanced/hdmi can work, it's a matter of finding the right cable.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #597 of 5,351
I got the 0.6m

when my system was crappy, the only thing that made a difference was the volume button
when the system was around $5k then I heard speaker cables, interconnects, and USB cables
and when I upgraded from 87dB to 105db speaker efficiency then the power cables were talking to me, I could hear the difference in footers, and also that fidelizer tool.

This!
I recently upgraded to a FTA Callisto USB cable and the difference blew my mind. Its not cheap,but its trouncing other USB cables costing upwards of 3-4k.

EDIT: Im not using the di in my system,so YMMV.

Jan 9, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #599 of 5,351
3-4x?

My two USB cables also have scary retail prices. When you spend $1500+ on your USB chain, then it's hard to ignore the pinkfaun.
I have no experience with $4k USB cables,but after reading comments made by guys who have,and own systems costing several hundreds of thousands of dollars,this is their position. Check out this thread....and notice some of the gear in their signatures. Crazy $$$$$.

Jan 9, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #600 of 5,351
The audio-gd DACs and DIs' USB modules do NOT need the power from USB port. So others disable the "+" pin of a USB cable can improve the data signal quality.
Can anyone describe what characters of a USB cable for DI-20 can improve the data signal quality and decrease the jitter?

I may suggest
(1) Disable "+";
(2) shielding the 2 power lines and 2 data lines separately (like the cable based on Belden 8723) or separate the power lines and data lines(like the USB-B to 2 USB-A Y-Cable).

I can remember years ago when Audio-gd's DACs were using USB32 modules, someone asked what kind of USB cable was recommended in Kingwa's web forum and Kingwa said the stock usb cable is ok because the USB32 module disabled the power "+" input in the module.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back