Audio-GD DI-20
Jan 12, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #647 of 5,329
Those NVMe ports a precious -- I use both on my server. Your mobo has 3?
I knew people used PCIe to NVMe adapters -- I didn't know I could buy a rizer to go the other way.
I use Aquacomputer kryoM.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 adapter for M.2 water block and passive heatsink variants but only for better cooling solution

People are saying external clocks will only behave when using serial data processing out to I2S.
For those with external clocks we can only hope this can be addressed with an FPGA update.
Do you mean the above mentioned user problems or external clock synchronization is possible only for devices that connected by i2s? but sotm USBultra does not have i2s input at all - only usb. I think the more devices synched by 10mhz - the better, right?

I dunno, the pinkfaun i2s path is sounding awfully good right now.
1600$ pinkfaun vs 988$ Di-20HE feel the difference))
I think pingfaun is just way too overpriced

Jan 12, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #648 of 5,329
I just did the same thing. I was using a $8.00 14awg power chord I got on amazon- the thickest regular power chord I could find and replaced it with my Harmonix $1,500 audiophile power chord. I found there to be a small difference- a bit more transparent perhaps- but I prefer the $8.00 chord as it seems meatier....

Using a pure silver USB cable without a power line on the other hand to my ears has a GIGANTIC effect on the sound vs. a cheap $5 USB cable.

This is a fun hobby...
I use a pure silver usb cable too, got it on ebay less than 100usd. I just ordered the 0.7m Oyaide d+ class a, which has a raving review in the Absolute Sound. All occ copper cable but with finely controlled impedance.

Jan 12, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #649 of 5,329
Jan 12, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #651 of 5,329
we need THE LINK
Is "The Link" a Transparent Audio USB cable? I'm using a solid silver 23awg (Wireworld Platenum). But it's sad because I broke my rear USB ports so now I'm using a $10 junky USB hub to share my only USB port with a keyboard. Just another reason I need to build me a Zen3! Hurry up AMD!

I would think the external clock makes it's greatest impact when it's syncing 2+ devices. Since my r2r7 lacks the clock input I'm in no rush to get a clock before the dropout issue is addressed. Most important to me is hearing the Amber3 (USB vs AES+DI20HE).

ah, so now I understand my pinkfaun has the TCXO, but I can still upgrade to an OCXO later.
Still sounded lovely the one time I tried it with an LPS.

Jan 13, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #652 of 5,329
If your getting a USB cable for use with an Anamero combo384 USB DAC like audio-gd, get one built with separate "Data" and "V-bus lines". (often referred to as a "dual head usb cable").

Why? Because the Anamaro combo384 only needs the V-bus power line for the initial handshake to the computer when you do a restart. Once the computer and DAC make that handshake connection, one may disconnect the power line completely and leave only the data line of the USB cable connected to the DAC.

Results from disconnecting the USB power line are ENORMOUS increase in transparency; more than ANY other tweak I have ever tried in any system I have ever owned.... With all that "Galvanic Isolation"- computer noise is still leaking in to the system- and this is my proof.

By the way- getting a USB cable made for this purpose is much cheaper than getting a LPS for your computer or any of these "Rendu style ethernet devices" and theoretically much better as these devices still have noise- albeit less than the power supply of the computer. We are talking here about "NO COMPUTER NOISE;- ZERO." It is simply impossible as there is no power connection between the computer and DAC. Forget about Galvanic Isolation. This method stops the problem before it even starts; at the beginning of the entire chain rather than attempting to filter it later on in the chain.

Be prepared however (until your ears adjust) for a thinner and more accurate sound than you are used to. That computer noise is falsely saturating the sonic presentation.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #653 of 5,329
When I received the DI-20HE, I immediately made a new USB cable without + 5 V.
I used a silver OCC 22 AWG cable. IMG_20200113_133640.jpg

Jan 13, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #654 of 5,329
I'm using a solid silver 23awg (Wireworld Platenum)
Its too overpriced. I think Vodka is very good variant. AES/EBU with same quality as vodka costs 3-4 times more

If your getting a USB cable for use with an Anamero combo384 USB DAC like audio-gd, get one built with separate "Data" and "V-bus lines". (often referred to as a "dual head usb cable").
And what about connecting with di-20? how can you connect two usb plugs to di-20 to disconnect one of them later?
I think this uptoneaudio adapter can help to turn off usb power. But turning it on and off for each computer restart is annoing

P1090023.jpg

Anybody tried to connect pc with di-20 without usb bus?

Jan 13, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #655 of 5,329
Its too overpriced
definitely -- my friend had an 11" platinum usb, and for the SU1 it ran circles around the curious cable. I think he asked $200 for it and it came with a metal flight case just in case there's any doubt you're overpaying for a USB cable.

I did test the DI20HE with a switch blocking 5v and it worked. I didn't try rebooting the computer so I don't know if it would re-establish on it's own. I loaned that cable to a friend so I can't retest this for a while.

Jan 13, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #656 of 5,329
I think he asked $200 for it and it came with a metal flight case just in case there's any doubt you're overpaying for a USB cable.
good deal
it costs 984$ in russia

Jan 13, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #657 of 5,329
The computer end of a dual headed USB cable has two male A connections- one for data and one for v-bus, but both meet at the dac termination side - leaving one b male termination to go into the dac or Di-20.

Go to eBay and type in "dual head usb cable" to see some examples.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #658 of 5,329
@REAN1MAT0R
On the WireWorld site the shortest length is 1.5m, but I have this 0.3m one feeding into my w4s recovery
https://www.tweekgeek.com/wireworld-platinum-starlight-7-usb/

and this 0.6m exiting the w4s recovery
https://www.tweekgeek.com/pranawire-photon-usb/

he sold me both at the same price. And my best power cords are from him. We got great audiopilers in NJ.

@rsbrsvp
In reference to an iFi Gemini I had, my wire friend explained it best. Very wide stage with a giant hole in the middle. There was no phantom center. I held onto it for at least two years before giving up.

Jan 13, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #659 of 5,329

Why? Because the Anamaro combo384 only needs the V-bus power line for the initial handshake to the computer when you do a restart. Once the computer and DAC make that handshake connection, one may disconnect the power line completely and leave only the data line of the USB cable connected to the DAC.

Results from disconnecting the USB power line are ENORMOUS increase in transparency; more than ANY other tweak I have ever tried in any system I have ever owned.... With all that "Galvanic Isolation"- computer noise is still leaking in to the system- and this is my proof.

By the way- getting a USB cable made for this purpose is much cheaper than getting a LPS for your computer or any of these "Rendu style ethernet devices" and theoretically much better as these devices still have noise- albeit less than the power supply of the computer. We are talking here about "NO COMPUTER NOISE;- ZERO." It is simply impossible as there is no power connection between the computer and DAC. Forget about Galvanic Isolation. This method stops the problem before it even starts; at the beginning of the entire chain rather than attempting to filter it later on in the chain.

Be prepared however (until your ears adjust) for a thinner and more accurate sound than you are used to. That computer noise is falsely saturating the sonic presentation.

Audio-gd does not even use the vbus AFAIK. Interrupting the v-bus at source prevents it from contaminating the data bus. Using a very clean transport computer, in my case the usbridge signature, and a well shielded usb cable will give also excellent results, even better than just the cable trick as data is better clocked than with you typiical computer, this also being favored by a data bus with very low noise. So this means less back and forth between the computer and the Di20, which lowers the noise floor and improves sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back