Audio-GD DI-20
Apr 4, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #5,251 of 5,351
DI20 and DI20HE has been flashed to V4.075.

I still don’t like 4.076 on R8H2 or R1N. Very generic/technical.

Will demo this for 2 days and make my notes on which I prefere

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #5,252 of 5,351
DI20 and DI20HE has been flashed to V4.075.

I still don’t like 4.076 on R8H2 or R1N. Very generic/technical.

Will demo this for 2 days and make my notes on which I prefere
Out of all firmware, I prefer the one your on right now cause its "just right". 4.076 is much more forward/analytical. 3.933 is unique and noticeable, vocals take a step back but overtime didn't really seem as accurate. YMMV

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #5,253 of 5,351
Out of all firmware, I prefer the one your on right now cause its "just right". 4.076 is much more forward/analytical. 3.933 is unique and noticeable, vocals take a step back but overtime didn't really seem as accurate. YMMV
I bought mine in 2022. Have take a listen yet, but I really hope I get the sound back on 4.075. Before flashing I could not find the current version

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #5,254 of 5,351
Before the demo:
This is how I firmware update. Treat the units as computers as they have there boot sequence and FPGA.

0. Take out all cable and let it discharge.
1. Plug in the blaster and then power back.
2. Start computer, and logon to windows.
3. Power on the unit.
4. Start the software for flash
5. Select the USB Blaster in the menu first
6. Browse for the file and choose it.
7. Start the flash process
8. When it is 100% done!
9. Shutdown the unit. Then close the software.
10. Unplug all cables both blaster and power.
11. Wait 2-5 min.
12. Plug ONLY the power cable in and power on the unit. Let it sit powered on for 5min
13. Shut off the unit
14. Connect the cables you need for input and output.
15. Enjoy!

I know I go overboard here. I Know :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #5,255 of 5,351
OOOOOOH yeah this is the firmware I remember. Mine was shipped with the V4.075. Im done! not interested in the others....Goosebumps are back!

----some more impressions!
Pink Fuan SPDIF Bridge ->BNC -> DI20(non-he) -> ACSS/BNC -> R8H2(reflashed to BNC/SPDIF) -> HE9LE

I have not hear the R8H2 great! Im floored! Crispy sparkling highs. Best of all the timing is back! 4.076 had some weird timing.

----

USB input is not great on the DI20. To the boring side with JCAT USB XE. The Pink Faun SPDIF Bridge BNC out is another level of musical sweetness!

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #5,256 of 5,351
To anybody who upgrades DI20(non-he) to 4.075.

If it makes weird Left/Right let it play....just let it play for hours. This firmware is worth it, because it will settle with time!

1,2 or 3 hours.....maybe 5 hours atleast..

-
R8H2 feels like on steroids.....

@sajunky how the....is this a downgrade!

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #5,257 of 5,351
USB input is not great on the DI20. To the boring side with JCAT USB XE. The Pink Faun SPDIF Bridge BNC out is another level of musical sweetness!
R8H2 feels like on steroids.....

@sajunky how the....is this a downgrade!
S/PDIF is a downgrade. :)

USB: 2.0 port on the back of mobo, or if none then 3.x with 2.0 hub and 2.0 cable. And you are half way to discover USB isolator hub $50 (or UIP if you are audiophile .LOL.)

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #5,258 of 5,351
S/PDIF is a downgrade. :)

USB: 2.0 port on the back of mobo, or if none then 3.x with 2.0 hub and 2.0 cable. And you are half way to discover USB isolator hub $50 (or UIP if you are audiophile .LOL.)
I wish I had the same opinion. RCA or ACSS/BNC....they win to my.

The sweet top of air. It just holds the music upright!

SPDIF makes put on my smile!

Apr 5, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #5,259 of 5,351
I've recently switched from AVplay HDMI cable to WW Chroma7 and enjoy it more due to its full bodied mids and more balanced sound signature overall: it sounds more natural and live like. The AVplay is a good cable as well (very detailed), but not for every system I guess.
In this regard, I wonder if anyone knows a higher class HDMI cable with similar sound signature. Thanks.

I heard that Kingwa used WW Chroma7 while finetuning his equipment.. Don't know whether this is true, but the cable sounds just right..

DI20HE->WW Chroma7->R8HE Mk2

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #5,260 of 5,351
In my system I have an external clock serving both the DAC and the DI20HE. While for the DAC the use of the clock is 100% justified in terms of enhanced transparency and more refined sound, the use for DI20HE is somewhat questionable: there is added refinement, but the sound becomes a bit hollow (a bit more refinement but less density). So after switching back and forth (ex. clock / no ex. clock) for quite some time I came to the conclusion that in my case the DI20HE sounds better without external clock. Any similar / contrary observations from anyone?

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #5,261 of 5,351
In my system I have an external clock serving both the DAC and the DI20HE. While for the DAC the use of the clock is 100% justified in terms of enhanced transparency and more refined sound, the use for DI20HE is somewhat questionable: there is added refinement, but the sound becomes a bit hollow (a bit more refinement but less density). So after switching back and forth (ex. clock / no ex. clock) for quite some time I came to the conclusion that in my case the DI20HE sounds better without external clock. Any similar / contrary observations from anyone?
Did you try ext. clock on DI and I2S (no ext. clock) on a DAC?

@OCC7N had similar impression, but it was before he upgraded firmware on DI-20. He needs to rerun tests, as now he started to like a pair DI + R8. Something has changed.

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #5,262 of 5,351
Yes! v4.075 don’t need no clock!

However I now find the non-HE version of DI20 more vibrant for the R8H2. As @sajunky has mentioned a couple of time the DI20HE is more beneficial on the cheaper dacs like R1N.

DI20HE adds more fullness(overwhelming) authority and mature sound to the R8. Now that I also have the DI20 I like it does not add the analog fullnes because R8H2 is perfect regarding that.

——

I don’t actually like I2S on the R8 the way I do on R1N. I flashed the R8 back to non-clock version and use the BNC input for SPDIF(from DI20)

Of course spdif input on the DI20 also…Both DIs.

USB has a mat monotone/locked performance. It sounds less alive and also veiled vs COAX. Pink Faun SPDIF Bridge is just something special both musical and sound texture…..time to put USB Bridge V2 back in.

Clocking the R8 was more beneficial. I remember clearly that the improvement was noticeable but I could live without it.

I might just get an Afterdark with 1 output for the R8

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #5,263 of 5,351
Yes! v4.075 don’t need no clock!
I remember trying all the versions up to v4.076 and found v3.933 the best for me (liquid and rich sound, compared to a bit dry for my taste v4.075 and v4.076) What do you like about v4.075? Maybe I should try it again some time..

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #5,264 of 5,351
Clocking the R8 was more beneficial. I remember clearly that the improvement was noticeable but I could live without it.
For me the difference is quite significant: R8 with and without an external clock is like listening to two different devices..

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #5,265 of 5,351
I remember trying all the versions up to v4.076 and found v3.933 the best for me (liquid and rich sound, compared to a bit dry for my taste v4.075 and v4.076) What do you like about v4.075? Maybe I should try it again some time..
The rythm/timing is everything! Hence why I said no clock needed.

4.076V was generic, in a technical way that it had all the attention in a bad way. Timing was off to the unforgiving side.

4.075 just feels right! 4.07Beta1 a little less boring than 4.076V

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back