Audio-GD DI-20
Apr 20, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #4,771 of 5,351
I thought serial had something to do with running the DI20HE to receive master clock.

I have not tried serial mode, but if P mode is AGD mode, Im staying😎
It's just another sound tweak, more influence than cables and less influence than clocks.

Apr 21, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #4,772 of 5,351
Guys did anyone figure out what makes the di20 stop working? I have the no sound issue again.. even though the amanero is set as the output device in windows 11. I can still play videos but there's no sound and when I do the sample rate test in the sound settings, there's no sound at any sample rate.. sometimes there's a brief tick or pop at the start of the sound test at 44.1khz but the di20 display doesn't change sample rate even when I change it in windows sound settings. Last time this happened I uninstalled the driver and even fully removed it using the usbdview utility but it didn't help. I had to use the reset my pc function of windows

Apr 23, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #4,773 of 5,351
Guys did anyone figure out what makes the di20 stop working? I have the no sound issue again.. even though the amanero is set as the output device in windows 11. I can still play videos but there's no sound and when I do the sample rate test in the sound settings, there's no sound at any sample rate.. sometimes there's a brief tick or pop at the start of the sound test at 44.1khz but the di20 display doesn't change sample rate even when I change it in windows sound settings. Last time this happened I uninstalled the driver and even fully removed it using the usbdview utility but it didn't help. I had to use the reset my pc function of windows

It's a longshot but one of the reasons I didn't "upgrade" to Win 11 was because I read about some bugs in the audio stack. You could check Microsofts never-ending buglist. I don't have a link but at one point I did a search on my build level (of Win 10) and got lucky and found the buglist online.

Apr 23, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #4,774 of 5,351
Dont choose ASIO with AGD in general unless you are dedicated for audio. I use the default/fixed audio windows driver

Apr 23, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #4,775 of 5,351
Dont choose ASIO with AGD in general unless you are dedicated for audio. I use the default/fixed audio windows driver

I always use ASIO whenever available, to me it's the only excuse to use Windows :wink:

ASIO was designed by Steinberg for bit-perfect, low-latency audio on Windows, it is absolutely the best choice for audio applications.

If you use the Windows audio mixer you are not getting the performance your gear is capable of.

Apr 23, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #4,776 of 5,351
I always use ASIO whenever available, to me it's the only excuse to use Windows :wink:

ASIO was designed by Steinberg for bit-perfect, low-latency audio on Windows, it is absolutely the best choice for audio applications.

If you use the Windows audio mixer you are not getting the performance your gear is capable of.
Yeah ASIO is great but I can not do anything else. No sound in other application when using foobar

Browser
Discord

every other app cuts off

Apr 23, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #4,777 of 5,351
Yeah ASIO is great but I can not do anything else. No sound in other application when using foobar

Browser
Discord

every other app cuts off

And this is a problem because...? :D

Audio-uberalles. Yeah baby, YEAH :)

Apr 23, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #4,778 of 5,351
And this is a problem because...? :D

Audio-uberalles. Yeah baby, YEAH :)
That was my input...maybe @uncola is using some kind of exclusive driver.

Im good with 44.1kHz. Default windows though I have ASIO component.

Apr 23, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #4,779 of 5,351
The display only changes samplerate when using ASIO. Not when using the default windows audio. ASIO bypasses windows volume control/sample control.

Do you have it setup in the settings
1682240649078.png

Apr 23, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #4,780 of 5,351
The display only changes samplerate when using ASIO. Not when using the default windows audio. ASIO bypasses windows volume control/sample control.
Yes, but WASAPI Exclusive does the same. But you do not use WASAPI Exclusive (as sample rate do not change), you lose a lot of quality. WASAPI Shared is the best option if you want to share sounds, but your application may not use, it will default to Direct Sound, which is most very likely and the worst option for SQ.

The last two access methods involve system mixer and asynchronous sample rate conversion required to synchronise frequency and sampling time-point of two or more sources. In Windows calculations are in integer 32-bit which insufficient even for CD sound quality.

If you use Foobar 2000, you can select WASAPI Exclusive or ASiO to bypass system mixer, still there is a volume control available. It is done properly with 32-bit floating point without losing SQ.

My setup is as follows. Use integrated sound device as a default sound device, so Windows sounds are mixed with Websites / YouTube / games, etc. Play quality music on the external DAC through exclusive access in Foobar (WASAPI Exclusive or ASIO).

Some browsers (Chrome? With extension?) allow to select WASAPI Exclusive acces, they will have to handle volume control internally, it may be as good as in Foobar.

If you really need mixing sounds, then Windows is not for you, use MAC or Linux and configure it properly. Long story, end of story...

I see Opera GX has separate settings, it may be WASAPI Exclusive option available, right?

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #4,781 of 5,351
Yes, but WASAPI Exclusive does the same. But you do not use WASAPI Exclusive (as sample rate do not change), you lose a lot of quality. WASAPI Shared is the best option if you want to share sounds, but your application may not use, it will default to Direct Sound, which is most very likely and the worst option for SQ.

The last two access methods involve system mixer and asynchronous sample rate conversion required to synchronise frequency and sampling time-point of two or more sources. In Windows calculations are in integer 32-bit which insufficient even for CD sound quality.

If you use Foobar 2000, you can select WASAPI Exclusive or ASiO to bypass system mixer, still there is a volume control available. It is done properly with 32-bit floating point without losing SQ.

My setup is as follows. Use integrated sound device as a default sound device, so Windows sounds are mixed with Websites / YouTube / games, etc. Play quality music on a the external DAC through exclusive access in Foobar (WASAPI Exclusive or ASIO).

Some browsers (Chrome? With extension?) allow to select WASAPI Exclusive acces, they will have to handle volume control internally, it may be as good as in Foobar.

If you really need mixing sounds, then Windows is not for you, use MAC or Linux and configure it properly. Long story, end of story...

I see Opera GX has separate settings, it may be WASAPI Exclusive option available, right?

I tried WASAPI in foobar and it was a bad experience regarding between/skip every numbers. It made a weird noise no matter the EVENT or PUSH. irrc....might be my JCAT USB XE card?

EDIT: just downloaded: https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapis I am trying SHARED

Worse than EVENT and PUSH - worse while playing songs...noise pops and distortions
1682280749646.png

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #4,782 of 5,351

I tried WASAPI in foobar and it was a bad experience regarding between/skip every numbers. It made a weird noise no matter the EVENT or PUSH. irrc....might be my JCAT USB XE card?

EDIT: just downloaded: https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapis I am trying SHARED

Worse than EVENT and PUSH - worse while playing songs...noise pops and distortions
It depends on the version of Foobar. Starting from v1.6 (I think), default Foobar output is WASAPI Shared, Direct Sound support is dropped. WASAPI Exclusive output is appended by the word "exclusive", so there is no need to load WASAPI add-ons anymore. Uninstall, expand combo box and post screenshot, it may more things that need to change.

EDIT: And yes, jcat drivers can be responsible for a skipping noise. Try to connect DAC to a standard Intel (the best) hub, post results.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #4,783 of 5,351
It depends on the version of Foobar. Starting from v1.6 (I think), default Foobar output is WASAPI Shared, Direct Sound support is dropped. WASAPI Exclusive output is appended by the word "exclusive", so there is no need to load WASAPI add-ons anymore. Uninstall, expand combo box and post screenshot, it may more things that need to change.
I am suspecting the JCAT USB XE.

Also......I am going to order something you are against....soon:L3000::sweat_smile:

Not saying what it is till I have it, and tested it, confirmation!...it is something with clock input and ethernet port ... LOL!

Apr 23, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #4,784 of 5,351
I am suspecting the JCAT USB XE.

Also......I am going to order something you are against....soon:L3000::sweat_smile:

Not saying what it is till I have it, and tested it, confirmation!...it is something with clock input and ethernet port ... LOL!
Something made by Eye Figh? I'd be very curious to hear your impressions.

I didn't mind the original Pro iCan, and I have oodles of 6N3P-3 tubes I could use with those products, but the one year warranty does kind of throw me off.

Apr 23, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #4,785 of 5,351
Nope...if I were to buy something from iFi right now: it would be the STREAM or there network isolater, cant recall the name right now.

I am going all in on my own PC/STREAM build. Even going to water cool components and mod ATX psu when I find my time/peace around it.

(I know Im hyping, to some others who have experience with the hardware, praising the AGD. I just like how it can sound dirty/raw and clean at the same time.... I mean at given times when I play music)

So raw!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back