Audio-GD DI-20
Sep 29, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #4,172 of 5,353
It does not mean all units will be that good but some should.
Fer sure. In an area where every extra -1db @ 1hz is hard won and priced accordingly, it's great to think they'll be somewhere in the -110-115db range, perhaps even consistently in the upper end of that range per the anecdotal comments from Beatechnik about Jays saying it's competitve with Cybershaft <-113/114db clocks.

Given how dramatically my unit improves my sound it's gotta be upper -114s at least.. 😉

Appreciate with Afterdark they're a fair bit more transparent re their testing methodology and equipment and have pedigree here, so with them you get more certain performance (including I see comparatively better 10hz phase noise at an equivalent 1hz phase noise level) but one pays for it.

Competition is good.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #4,173 of 5,353
I saw the comments but I can report even using a 50 ohm DI-20 WCLK into a Brooklyn DAC+ using a standard 75 ohm clock cable works and sounds pretty much indistinguishable from the internal clock. So I wouldn't spend money on a cable like that.

Rather, I ask again- no, I demand! - that consumer hifi manufacturers reject the non-standard 50 ohm clock setups and go 75 ohm like the pro audio world has done since the 1980s...
@gimmeheadroom I've found just the clock for you, this Cybershaft has four inputs each individually switchable between 50/75 ohms.

https://cybershaft.shop/products/op...put-10mhz-master-clock?variant=41464326946991

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #4,174 of 5,353
Hello. I use the original di20 and was wondering if anyone else came across an issue I had. I was burning in a new headphone and my di20 randomly sent out a really loud ongoing beep to my r8, I had to volume down my amp and actually thought my headphones broke cause of how loud it was. Thankfully its fine but it was that loud since I heard it from another room. I then used AES and everything seems fine. I cant tell if its i2s or not since I always used i2s connections with my di20. I currently have the newest firmware for my r8 and 3.993 for the di20. Also, I use the popular Morion ocxo square wave.

Luckily I didn't have the headphones on when the loud beep started or I may have lost hearing, no joke. If anyone else had this issue please let me know.
You sent me into fits of laughter. Same &##% thing I've had to deal with numerous times with the DI20. Of multiple noise issues this has exhibited; most being luckily fixed with a random change of DAC, this still issue still persists but for me it's with DSD. Usually when I press stop or do any navigation within a DSD track, is when I hear the ultra loud ear numbing squelch noise so loud I can feel it through the headphones. Once I had to go into recovery mode to give my ears a break. This thing is a curse and a blessing.

Presumably your USB or other digital cables came loose or had some microarching because it seems indicative of a lost signal. If not that, who knows if it was caused by the aforementioned codecs or cable length, and hopefully fixed now.

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #4,175 of 5,353
Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #4,176 of 5,353
I think we need to contact kingwa and ask on this matter. If I knew much about clock I would ask because, I am afraid I might either not question correct or understand his answer correct.

Sep 30, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #4,177 of 5,353
I am not sure how the switching between 50 and 75 Ohm works, as all the connectors are 50 Ohm. Maybe it is similar to the hybrid word clock output on my DI-20HE, that was converted internally to 75 Ohm but still has the 50 Ohm connector.
My suggestion was a bit of a lighthearted one tbh given its extreme cost. But their approach is interesting.

Given the expected very high precision of the unit I'd assume the section of terminating output circuit on the other side of the connector is designed, when switched to 75 ohms, to somehow switch the characteristic impedance of that circuit and the connector to 75 ohms.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #4,178 of 5,353
@gimmeheadroom I've found just the clock for you, this Cybershaft has four inputs each individually switchable between 50/75 ohms.

Thanks, but no :wink:

As I said, I cannot buy anything from outside the EU. And if I'm gonna spend that kind of money on a clock I'm buying the Mutec which is a known-good, local (to me) company with a responsive owner, good service, and a real warranty. And it has the right combo of outputs.

And what somebody said upthread, the connectors should be correct for the cables. They kind work but are not identical.

Sep 30, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #4,179 of 5,353
You sent me into fits of laughter. Same &##% thing I've had to deal with numerous times with the DI20. Of multiple noise issues this has exhibited; most being luckily fixed with a random change of DAC, this still issue still persists but for me it's with DSD. Usually when I press stop or do any navigation within a DSD track, is when I hear the ultra loud ear numbing squelch noise so loud I can feel it through the headphones. Once I had to go into recovery mode to give my ears a break. This thing is a curse and a blessing.

Presumably your USB or other digital cables came loose or had some microarching because it seems indicative of a lost signal. If not that, who knows if it was caused by the aforementioned codecs or cable length, and hopefully fixed now.

Are you sure it's not your player? This has never happened to me on either of my 2 DI-20s, one base model, one HE.

Are you using the ASIO drivers and does your player support them? I use foobar2000 with the Amanero drivers.

Oct 1, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #4,180 of 5,353
Whew. I've done it.
Read the thread.
Only took me five days!

Oct 1, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #4,181 of 5,353
Back then to my clock question.
Or more, to my clock solution.

Import duty and tax kicks in over NZ$1000. Hoping to keep under that, otherwise AfterDark, Cybershaft and Mutec become even more expensive.
And not really interested in a clock that costs more than my Dac.
If that's the case I'm probably better off buying a better Dac.

From what some have experienced, the LHY OCK-1 performs well for its price.
And one less linear power supply is helpful in my predicament.

So...
About to order a LHY OCK-1 from Beatechnik.
And probably a Gustard C2 to match.

Oct 1, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #4,182 of 5,353

So...
I have nothing to compare it to, but the performance of the LHY OCK-1 and Gustard C2 is excellent, the sound is much better than with the DI20HE internal clock.

Oct 1, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #4,183 of 5,353
Hello I am having my DI20 (non-HE) with me for a year. Keep following the post here and pleased to learn from the sharings.

Learnt the positive comment from some of you, I ordered a LHY OCK-1. Waiting for its arrival after the long Chinese holdiay, I'm lucky the unit will be sent from LHY 4 hours driving distance away from my place.

Will share my listening experience when got it connected.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #4,184 of 5,353
Back then to my clock question.
Or more, to my clock solution.

Import duty and tax kicks in over NZ$1000. Hoping to keep under that, otherwise AfterDark, Cybershaft and Mutec become even more expensive.
And not really interested in a clock that costs more than my Dac.
If that's the case I'm probably better off buying a better Dac.

So...
Seems like very good choices. The c2 is rather expensive but worth it soundwise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back