Audio-GD DI-20
Jul 6, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #2,896 of 5,353
Jul 6, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #2,897 of 5,353
Hi again,

Now DI-20HE and Nimak Purple USB are on the way. I plan to get Nimak ACSS, maybe in the next couple of months.

For now, would you guys please recommend a nice HDMI I2S cable to connect between DI-20HE and R7HE? My system is on the signature and my taste is more like rock music rather than audiophiles. I always love body, dynamic, impact, and bass slam while maintaining the resolution and details of instruments mostly from Progressive rock/metal.

Also, I prefer a cable length of around 1 m to fit my rack. Many comments say the shorter (HDMI) the best, is 1 m is still good? Will it make a big compromise for SQ? or you recommend finding a way to use 0.3 m instead?

Thanks in advance.
I use a 0.5m 4k hdmi cable made by Afterdark at the moment. I can recommend it, it is among the two best i tried.

Jul 6, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #2,898 of 5,353
Hi, you mean there is a big difference in SQ and I should try to stick with 0.3m length no matter what?
Sorry, I see a short answer was not clear. Use a 4k version of a good brand as recommended. SQ is deteriorating slow till exceeding a maximum lenght. One meter should be fine.

Jul 6, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #2,899 of 5,353
Sorry, I see a short answer was not clear. Use a 4k version of a good brand as recommended. SQ is deteriorating slow till exceeding a maximum lenght. One meter should be fine.

Thanks. I will check whether I can use 0.5 m

I use a 0.5m 4k hdmi cable made by Afterdark at the moment. I can recommend it, it is among the two best i tried.

Thank you Fred. Can you compare with Bel FE and WireWorld that you guys ever discussed last year?

There are two HDMI by AfterDark. Which one would you recommend to suit my music preference?

https://www.adark.co/products/after...3&_sid=a96701a36&_ss=r&variant=31359187910774

https://www.adark.co/products/after...8k-i2s-hdmi-cable?_pos=2&_sid=a96701a36&_ss=r

Thanks again.

Jul 6, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #2,900 of 5,353
Thanks. I will check whether I can use 0.5 m

Thank you Fred. Can you compare with Bel FE and WireWorld that you guys ever discussed last year?

There are two HDMI by AfterDark. Which one would you recommend to suit my music preference?

https://www.adark.co/products/after...3&_sid=a96701a36&_ss=r&variant=31359187910774

https://www.adark.co/products/after...8k-i2s-hdmi-cable?_pos=2&_sid=a96701a36&_ss=r

Thanks again.
The Afterdark is better than the Belden. I only tried the 4k after, it was the only one available in 0.5m. Did not try the Wireworld. Kingwa recommends the yellow one if i am not mistaken.

Jul 6, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #2,901 of 5,353
Hi again,

Now DI-20HE and Nimak Purple USB are on the way. I plan to get Nimak ACSS, maybe in the next couple of months.

For now, would you guys please recommend a nice HDMI I2S cable to connect between DI-20HE and R7HE? My system is on the signature and my taste is more like rock music rather than audiophiles. I always love body, dynamic, impact, and bass slam while maintaining the resolution and details of instruments mostly from Progressive rock/metal.

Also, I prefer a cable length of around 1 m to fit my rack. Many comments say the shorter (HDMI) the best, is 1 m is still good? Will it make a big compromise for SQ? or you recommend finding a way to use 0.3 m instead?

Thanks in advance.
Shorter the better for HDMI used for IIS

Jul 6, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #2,902 of 5,353
Shorter the better for HDMI used for IIS
Thanks Jandu. I will see what I can do with my setup.

The Afterdark is better than the Belden. I only tried the 4k after, it was the only one available in 0.5m. Did not try the Wireworld. Kingwa recommends the yellow one if i am not mistaken.

Hi again Fred,

I have asked AfterDark and here is what I got replied.

MK I: more balanced and transparent. much better perform for heavy metals
https://www.adark.co/collections/di...-carbon-fiber-shielding-cfs-8k-i2s-hdmi-cable

MK II: good for Vocal and Jazz. A bit warm sounding. Maybe too colored for Rock music.
https://www.adark.co/products/after...3&_sid=a50027c8d&_ss=r&variant=31359187910774

This below is also stated on the product description.

What is the different between Black Magic I2S HDMI MKI and MKII?
This is a upgrade version of MKII, sounding tends to more focus and luxury high with high quality airy feel, 3 frequency is improved in soundstage, more musical and smooth , very good for vocal, jazz and best for classical music.

So I think I might try the MK I. Will let you know the outcome later.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #2,903 of 5,353
Thanks Jandu. I will see what I can do with my setup.

Hi again Fred,

I have asked AfterDark and here is what I got replied.

MK I: more balanced and transparent. much better perform for heavy metals
https://www.adark.co/collections/di...-carbon-fiber-shielding-cfs-8k-i2s-hdmi-cable

MK II: good for Vocal and Jazz. A bit warm sounding. Maybe too colored for Rock music.
https://www.adark.co/products/after...3&_sid=a50027c8d&_ss=r&variant=31359187910774

This below is also stated on the product description.

What is the different between Black Magic I2S HDMI MKI and MKII?
This is a upgrade version of MKII, sounding tends to more focus and luxury high with high quality airy feel, 3 frequency is improved in soundstage, more musical and smooth , very good for vocal, jazz and best for classical music.

So I think I might try the MK I. Will let you know the outcome later.
i have the mkii.

Jul 10, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #2,904 of 5,353
iFi makes a streamer similar to USBridge: ZEN Stream. But I don't think it comes with a very good LPS like Shanti together at the $399 price point.

Another source solution with an official LPS and under $500 in total, I think it is aune x5s(6th anniversary). But the basic model only supports SD cards and USB flash drives and it is not a streamer. (Its usb 3.0 port's power is not high enough for an traditional portable external hard drive.) The stock switching PS in the x5s box is already good after the reclocking of DI-20. The improvement of Aune's XP-2 or XP-3 LPS is not so significant at the same environment.

Jul 10, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #2,905 of 5,353
Hello guys,

I already received the DI-20HE and it sounds superb. I have plan to upgrade some cables to my system. Can you please suggest which cable should I upgrade first according to my current one below?

Audio grade Network Switch -> Stock LAN Cat6 cable -> SOtM sms-200 ultra neo SE Streamer -> Nimak Purple USB -> Audio GD DI-20HE -> Stock HDMI I2S -> Audio GD R7HE (2020) -> Stock ACSS (or Tchernov mid-end XLR) -> Audio GD HE9 -> Headphones

Which should I upgrade first? LAN Cable, HDMI I2S, or ACSS cable?

I mostly stream music using SOtM streamer via Roon and now happy with AC cables. All DC devices are already feeded with good linear power supply unit

Thank you in advance for your help.

iFi makes a streamer similar to USBridge: ZEN Stream. But I don't think it comes with a very good LPS like Shanti together at the $399 price point.

Another source solution with an official LPS and under $500 in total, I think it is aune x5s(6th anniversary). But the basic model only supports SD cards and USB flash drives and it is not a streamer. (Its usb 3.0 port's power is not high enough for an traditional portable external hard drive.) The stock switching PS in the x5s box is already good after the reclocking of DI-20. The improvement of Aune's XP-2 or XP-3 LPS is not so significant at the same environment.
Thanks, I will check it out. This might save my budget in the future.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #2,906 of 5,353
Thanks, I will check it out. This might save my budget in the future.
But in my test, the x5s SPDIF output to DI-20 then via coaxial SPDIF acss to my ref-5 DAC, only fully supports 16bit/44.1K or 48K.
If someone omits the DI-20, the x5s can output DoP via coaxial to a DAC which can accept DoP.
The DI-20 still needs a streamer or PC/Mac to input DSD to it via USB and then DI-20 outputs I2S via HDMI.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #2,907 of 5,353
i have the mkii.

Hi again Fred, have you ever compare AfterDark HDMI to AQ Coffee HDMI? Are they the same league? I love to hear your comment.

But in my test, the x5s SPDIF output to DI-20 then via coaxial SPDIF acss to my ref-5 DAC, only fully supports 16bit/44.1K or 48K.
If someone omits the DI-20, the x5s can output DoP via coaxial to a DAC which can accept DoP.
The DI-20 still needs a streamer or PC/Mac to input DSD to it via USB and then DI-20 outputs I2S via HDMI.

Thanks, I will try it. Also big thanks for your instruction about firmware upgrade posted earlier. That is so helpful. Now I am in love with 3.933.

Jul 16, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #2,908 of 5,353
Hi again Fred, have you ever compare AfterDark HDMI to AQ Coffee HDMI? Are they the same league? I love to hear your comment
Hi.

No. And i have the mki afterdark. The mkii is supposddly better. The mki is available in 0.5m, the mkii was min. 1m last.time I checked. The mki is very good, and beats the Belden in 0.3m. It Is noticeably smoothler.

Kingwa.recommends the WW chroma 7.it is not expensive.. The ultraviolet is also affordable. Never tried them.

Jul 16, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #2,909 of 5,353
Hi.

No. And i have the mki afterdark. The mkii is supposddly better. The mki is available in 0.5m, the mkii was min. 1m last.time I checked. The mki is very good, and beats the Belden in 0.3m. It Is noticeably smoothler.

Kingwa.recommends the WW chroma 7.it is not expensive.. The ultraviolet is also affordable. Never tried them.
I can only find WW chroma 7 in 1 m length, Belden 30 cm is better.

Jul 16, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #2,910 of 5,353
Hi.

Thanks Fred. But if you have 0.5m length, then it should be mk ii since the mk i is starting from 1m length.

What would you say between AfterDark and WW?

I can only find WW chroma 7 in 1 m length, Belden 30 cm is better.

Wow, that can save the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back