Audio-GD DI-20
Jun 28, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #2,881 of 5,353
Hi guys. First of all, I want to thanks all headfiers in this thread. I've been reading all 192 pages and that kinda enlightened me!

I do have a few basic questions to ask and here below is my current system.
For#4
Agree with FredA, ACSS is better, assuming same cable quality. A few sources of ACSS cables are available.

Jun 28, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #2,882 of 5,353
With almost 200 pages, maybe this has already been addressed. Forgive me if that's the case. Is the DI20HE known to be a good match with the Topping D90 dac? The Audio-gd website seems to indicate they will only sell them to people that have their dac due to limited availability. I saw one person say the Singxer SU-2 was a good match with i2s connection. Denafrips Iris? If I could get something that would work well for $500 to $700 that would be great. Thanks in advance

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #2,883 of 5,353
1. Dacs have to play music to burn the output stages and the d/a boards.
2. I doubt the di20he will be updated anytime soon. I sure can recommend it combined to the usbridge signature ( rpi3b+-based ) transport. It will sound better than with just a regular rpi just using an ebay ultra-low noise psu. It will cost you around 400usd.
3. No
4. Acss. The best i have tried is the Nimak 5 which sells for around 400usd for 1m. Kingwa’s cable is an entry-level

Hi Fred,

Thank you for your comments. I make a decision to choose the DI-20HE route and will decide which streamer to be sold/used with later. Which ACSS would you recommend? I heard about Nimak but don't know which model is the finest. ACSS 5 or 7? Also, is the length prone to deteriorated SQ similar to HDMI (for I2S) cable? I won't need any longer than 1m.

For#4
Agree with FredA, ACSS is better, assuming same cable quality. A few sources of ACSS cables are available.

Hi Jandu, any ACSS would you recommend?

Jun 29, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #2,884 of 5,353
[/QUOTE]

I will try, however, your system is differ from mine and your taste of music would not be same as mine, preference can be different as well.

I did have Kingwa's ACSS and this following one to compare:

https://robertsonaudiocables.com.au...-xlr-3-pin-female?_pos=1&_sid=ae347e705&_ss=r

The solid core silver from RobersonAudio is quite a bit better. I did compared it to a KCAG from Kimber Cable (RCA) and the ACSS connection is also better in my system. Price wise, the KCAG is quite a bit more money. I use these between a R8HE to HE9.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #2,885 of 5,353
Hi Fred,

Thank you for your comments. I make a decision to choose the DI-20HE route and will decide which streamer to be sold/used with later. Which ACSS would you recommend? I heard about Nimak but don't know which model is the finest. ACSS 5 or 7? Also, is the length prone to deteriorated SQ similar to HDMI (for I2S) cable? I won't need any longer than 1m.
The 7 is the finest. I have the 5. It is excellent. The shorter the better of course but with these, not a big factor.

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #2,888 of 5,353
Jun 30, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #2,890 of 5,353
Yes it’s legit. You can only buy Nimak on EBAY for now. I’m in Montréal and it took about 2 weeks to deliver but it got here. Know lots of folks in this forum that have had no issues either…you’re good.

Thanks! I will check it out.

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #2,891 of 5,353
Hi guys. First of all, I want to thanks all headfiers in this thread. I've been reading all 192 pages and that kinda enlightened me!

I do have a few basic questions to ask and here below is my current system.

PC (Roon Core) -> / Audiophile Network Swtich -> LAN -> SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo -> USB -> R7HE (2020) or NFB 7.77 -> XLR -> HE9 -> Headphones (HEKse, HE6se)

1. According to Kingwa, we can burn DI-20 by just power on without playing any music. Does this also apply to DACs, Audiophile Network Switch, and Streamer (SOtM)?

2. I have two choices of upgrade. What would you guys comment? I am just interested in using I2S port of R7HE as this thread discussed but also tempted by the Magna streamer that has I2S output too. Maybe I can save money getting it instead of (DI-20 + Streamer) Any comment in term of SQ?

2.1 get DI-20HE to use with SOtM, or hopefully sell SOtM and get cheaper streamers (w/ same SQ). RP4iB, RP4iB w/ built-in psu by Simple Best, etc.
2.2 get Mano ULTRA mkII Streamer by magna https://magnahifi.com/mano-ultra-music-streamer-high-res/
*** its output is already I2S so I don't think we need DI-20HE for this choice?

3. If DI-20HE is a better choice, I might plan to get it around coming X'mas. Is there any rumor about newer version of DI-20HE? Kingwa always keep up with tons of upgraded version / units.

4. Frank question. Which is better IC (R7HE -> HE9) between XLR and ACSS? It is a kind of subjective question but just wondering. For me, I compare mid-end Tchernov XLR cables to stock AGD ACSS cable. Tchernov XLR is better and louder at the same HE9 volume. I don't have any clue about premium ACSS cables apart from Kingwa stock cable ones.

PS, for all SOtM owners. I have chatted with May from SOtM and received promising news that they are developing SOtM streaming app (PC, Mac, Andriod and iOS) and hopefully it will be available in 2022. Undoubtedly, it will be more convenient that its web-based platform, enhatsu.

Thanks in advance.
I have a similar chain (it sounds superb):

Uptone Etherregen (ER) switch - SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo SE - Audio-GD DI-20 (non HE version) - Audio-GD R7-HE (2018 model)

I use a Morion Master Clock with the ER and the DI-20, but not my R7-HE as it doesn't have a Master Clock input.

I don't know if your R7-HE has Kingwa's new USB implementation and a Master Clock input. If it does, I don't know how much better would be adding the DI-20HE to the chain as Kingwa says that the new USB on the HE version DACs betters the DI-20 (non HE version), but not the DI-20HE. Maybe someone here has compared an R7-HE with new USB input with and without the DI-20HE.

If the difference is not big (as I believe), I think you will spend better those 1000 bucks on the ER plus a Morion Master Clock for both, the ER and the R7-HE. I think that way could have a better price to perfomance ratio.

Jul 1, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #2,892 of 5,353

I will try, however, your system is differ from mine and your taste of music would not be same as mine, preference can be different as well.

https://robertsonaudiocables.com.au...-xlr-3-pin-female?_pos=1&_sid=ae347e705&_ss=r

The solid core silver from RobersonAudio is quite a bit better. I did compared it to a KCAG from Kimber Cable (RCA) and the ACSS connection is also better in my system. Price wise, the KCAG is quite a bit more money. I use these between a R8HE to HE9.
[/QUOTE]

Just for those who are looking for ACSS alternatives:

At one point of time, Kingwa has mentioned this ACSS connection as an upgrade.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153734593462?hash=item23cb4bbbb6:g:whEAAOSwVEFb7qUp

Jul 4, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #2,893 of 5,353
I have a similar chain (it sounds superb):

Uptone Etherregen (ER) switch - SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo SE - Audio-GD DI-20 (non HE version) - Audio-GD R7-HE (2018 model)

I use a Morion Master Clock with the ER and the DI-20, but not my R7-HE as it doesn't have a Master Clock input.

I don't know if your R7-HE has Kingwa's new USB implementation and a Master Clock input. If it does, I don't know how much better would be adding the DI-20HE to the chain as Kingwa says that the new USB on the HE version DACs betters the DI-20 (non HE version), but not the DI-20HE. Maybe someone here has compared an R7-HE with new USB input with and without the DI-20HE.

If the difference is not big (as I believe), I think you will spend better those 1000 bucks on the ER plus a Morion Master Clock for both, the ER and the R7-HE. I think that way could have a better price to perfomance ratio.

My R7HE is not the 2021 version so that the board design is still the old one (but with an external clock port). So I might add DI-20HE to the chain rather than getting the new R7HE mk II version. Morion clock is another thing I'm interested to save money for in the future :)

Just for those who are looking for ACSS alternatives:

At one point of time, Kingwa has mentioned this ACSS connection as an upgrade.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153734593462?hash=item23cb4bbbb6:g:whEAAOSwVEFb7qUp
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jandu. Now I am about to try Nimak Purple USB. If the result is good to my setup, maybe I will save money for Nimak ACSS 5 as another step. There are many head-fiers mentioned about this ACSS :)

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #2,894 of 5,353
Hi again,

Now DI-20HE and Nimak Purple USB are on the way. I plan to get Nimak ACSS, maybe in the next couple of months.

For now, would you guys please recommend a nice HDMI I2S cable to connect between DI-20HE and R7HE? My system is on the signature and my taste is more like rock music rather than audiophiles. I always love body, dynamic, impact, and bass slam while maintaining the resolution and details of instruments mostly from Progressive rock/metal.

Also, I prefer a cable length of around 1 m to fit my rack. Many comments say the shorter (HDMI) the best, is 1 m is still good? Will it make a big compromise for SQ? or you recommend finding a way to use 0.3 m instead?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #2,895 of 5,353
Also, I prefer a cable length of around 1 m to fit my rack. Many comments say the shorter (HDMI) the best, is 1 m is still good? Will it make a big compromise for SQ? or you recommend finding a way to use 0.3 m instead?
Yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back