Audio-GD DI-20
Jun 8, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #2,867 of 5,353
Hi all
Could you tell me please how find the firmare versions of the DI-20 (Amanero and FPGA)?
Thank's

Pierre
Latest versions of the DI20, say since November 2020 have been shipping with V4.075.

For older units you can email Audio-gd with your serial number they should be able to confirm the firmware version it shipped with.

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #2,868 of 5,353
After watching this forum for a while I made the leap and purchased a DI-20HE recently. I have a Mac Mini used as a Roon core which outputs via USB to the DI-20HE and from there via AES/EBU to a Musical Paradise MP-D2 Mk 3 tube DAC. When I first integrated the DI-20HE Roon recognised it as a Combo384 Amanero interface, and to be honest who am I to disagree... I have a straight-thru signal path in Roon - no DSP or sample rate conversions. And yet on some tracks there's an enormous amount of distortion. If I was talking about the analogue domain I would absolutely call it clipping on the highs, but a DDC doesn't do analogue. What am I missing here? Do I need to change some settings within Roon? Help!

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #2,869 of 5,353
When I first integrated the DI-20HE Roon recognised it as a Combo384 Amanero interface, and to be honest who am I to disagree... I have a straight-thru signal path in Roon - no DSP or sample rate conversions. And yet on some tracks there's an enormous amount of distortion.
It is Amanero USB receiver inside DI-20HE indeed, it is written on the home page. As for a distortions, are these distortions always happen in the same playing time? If not, then I suspect there are errors on the transmission - and USB transfer is not optimal. If it were optimal, it would be rather a fraction of a second interruptions. How long is USB cable?

Can you use Audirvana for testing? I can't help with MAC, but I know there are tricks to force MAS OS to use bit-perfect transfer, it would also help negotiating USB asynchronous mode. On a MAC there is one official method (which is frequently broken on a number of OS releases) and the other called "Integer mode". Find it on the Roon and Audirvana options. John Attkinson use during reviews an utility for verifying USB transfer mode, check it out, I don't remember the name.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #2,871 of 5,353
Ordered a DI-20HE to replace my DI-20. I should have got the HE version in the first place but I was not sure if my M7 dac is revealing enough to make it worth it.

I could have asked Kingwa if the new R8 MK2 would be a better investment then the M7 + DI-20HE but didn't want to hear that it was and then have to retire my trusty M7. Not yet at least. I still love it dearly.

I'm very curious to do an a/b comparison with the two DI20s. Let's see what a regenerative power supply can do. My ears are very sensitive to treble (tinnitus) and I'm thinking the HE version will allow me to turn the volume up another few notches. Every time I upgrade my gear I can crank up the volume more without my ears complaining too much afterwards.
Hi Peter,

Did you received the DI-20HE? Any news about DI-20 VS DI-20HE?

Thanks

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #2,872 of 5,353
Hi Dreamer,

Nothing to report yet. Except for the DI20HE is a lot bigger then I expected.

I'm at 675 hours of burn in with changes even today from last night.

For sure I have had glimpses of what lays ahead. I think it's going to be good news.

I also didn't have a single issue with the DI20HE.

I'll be back with news in a few weeks. I'll stick the DI20 back in to take a listen for a few days.

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #2,873 of 5,353
After watching this forum for a while I made the leap and purchased a DI-20HE recently. I have a Mac Mini used as a Roon core which outputs via USB to the DI-20HE and from there via AES/EBU to a Musical Paradise MP-D2 Mk 3 tube DAC. When I first integrated the DI-20HE Roon recognised it as a Combo384 Amanero interface, and to be honest who am I to disagree... I have a straight-thru signal path in Roon - no DSP or sample rate conversions. And yet on some tracks there's an enormous amount of distortion. If I was talking about the analogue domain I would absolutely call it clipping on the highs, but a DDC doesn't do analogue. What am I missing here? Do I need to change some settings within Roon? Help!

The bnc out will not work for all dacs in case it is the one you use.

Other than that, the amanero offers volume control. Make sure it is set to 100%.

Jun 15, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #2,875 of 5,353
Would anyone have any comments on how the DI20/he works/helps/hinders reclocking dac's such as the benchmark dac3?
A reclocking dac is most of the time only able to remove a portion of the jitter. Low-freq phase is harder to get rid off and can cause significated blurring to the sound.

What is more mysterious is dacs like the latest audio-gd, which do not do reclocking per say but rather directly clock the audio data from the internal or external clock signal also benefit.

The most beneficial scenario with them is when both the di20/he and dac are clocked with the same external unit. The only possible explanation to this IMO is this helps reduce the noise level within the dsp at the critical moment when the clock rises within the dsp ouput . Because noise within the clock part of the signal going to the conversion board/chip means jitter.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #2,876 of 5,353
Would anyone have any comments on how the DI20/he works/helps/hinders reclocking dac's such as the benchmark dac3?
You would perhaps need reclocking DDC. :)

Seriously, whether a DAC is reclocking with upsampling or not or without reclocking, it doesn't matter. DI-20 will do the same job separating a DAC from noise of your source equipment. HE version will improve separation even more due to the regenerative power supply. Audio GD policy is to not do reclocking when a source can be synchronised with the internal high quality clock, by example during USB asynchronous transfers.

Jun 20, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #2,877 of 5,353
Hi,

I've a Gustard X26 DAC and last week try a Gustard U16 using II2s port with excelent result's, better separation, decay's and a stong and rapid bass from speakers. After results, my intention was purchase a Gustard U16 and a chinese external clock, but when read testimonials of Audio GD - DI20, and the price of U16+Ext.Clock+Better PSU for clock all will cost the same of Audio GD DI20.

Please help me to recommend what is the better purchase and sound Audio GD DI20 vs Gustard U16 with external clock? My DAC is a gustard U16.

Thanks

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #2,878 of 5,353
Hi,

I've a Gustard X26 DAC and last week try a Gustard U16 using II2s port with excelent result's, better separation, decay's and a stong and rapid bass from speakers. After results, my intention was purchase a Gustard U16 and a chinese external clock, but when read testimonials of Audio GD - DI20, and the price of U16+Ext.Clock+Better PSU for clock all will cost the same of Audio GD DI20.

Please help me to recommend what is the better purchase and sound Audio GD DI20 vs Gustard U16 with external clock? My DAC is a gustard U16.

Thanks
People have had and still are having problems with the u16. The di20 is a better device. Better sound, better reilability. For the money, the u16 and external clock are a very good choice soundwise. If you can live with it. I got rid of mine. The guy i sold it to has no issue with it. Or only minor ones. So you get what you pay for. The di20he with the internal sounds better than the u16 with the external. I would assume the di20 does too.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #2,879 of 5,353
Hi guys. First of all, I want to thanks all headfiers in this thread. I've been reading all 192 pages and that kinda enlightened me!

I do have a few basic questions to ask and here below is my current system.

PC (Roon Core) -> / Audiophile Network Swtich -> LAN -> SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo -> USB -> R7HE (2020) or NFB 7.77 -> XLR -> HE9 -> Headphones (HEKse, HE6se)

1. According to Kingwa, we can burn DI-20 by just power on without playing any music. Does this also apply to DACs, Audiophile Network Switch, and Streamer (SOtM)?

2. I have two choices of upgrade. What would you guys comment? I am just interested in using I2S port of R7HE as this thread discussed but also tempted by the Magna streamer that has I2S output too. Maybe I can save money getting it instead of (DI-20 + Streamer) Any comment in term of SQ?

2.1 get DI-20HE to use with SOtM, or hopefully sell SOtM and get cheaper streamers (w/ same SQ). RP4iB, RP4iB w/ built-in psu by Simple Best, etc.
2.2 get Mano ULTRA mkII Streamer by magna https://magnahifi.com/mano-ultra-music-streamer-high-res/
*** its output is already I2S so I don't think we need DI-20HE for this choice?

3. If DI-20HE is a better choice, I might plan to get it around coming X'mas. Is there any rumor about newer version of DI-20HE? Kingwa always keep up with tons of upgraded version / units.

4. Frank question. Which is better IC (R7HE -> HE9) between XLR and ACSS? It is a kind of subjective question but just wondering. For me, I compare mid-end Tchernov XLR cables to stock AGD ACSS cable. Tchernov XLR is better and louder at the same HE9 volume. I don't have any clue about premium ACSS cables apart from Kingwa stock cable ones.

PS, for all SOtM owners. I have chatted with May from SOtM and received promising news that they are developing SOtM streaming app (PC, Mac, Andriod and iOS) and hopefully it will be available in 2022. Undoubtedly, it will be more convenient that its web-based platform, enhatsu.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #2,880 of 5,353
Hi guys. First of all, I want to thanks all headfiers in this thread. I've been reading all 192 pages and that kinda enlightened me!

I do have a few basic questions to ask and here below is my current system.

PC (Roon Core) -> / Audiophile Network Swtich -> LAN -> SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo -> USB -> R7HE (2020) or NFB 7.77 -> XLR -> HE9 -> Headphones (HEKse, HE6se)

1. According to Kingwa, we can burn DI-20 by just power on without playing any music. Does this also apply to DACs, Audiophile Network Switch, and Streamer (SOtM)?

2. I have two choices of upgrade. What would you guys comment? I am just interested in using I2S port of R7HE as this thread discussed but also tempted by the Magna streamer that has I2S output too. Maybe I can save money getting it instead of (DI-20 + Streamer) Any comment in term of SQ?

2.1 get DI-20HE to use with SOtM, or hopefully sell SOtM and get cheaper streamers (w/ same SQ). RP4iB, RP4iB w/ built-in psu by Simple Best, etc.
2.2 get Mano ULTRA mkII Streamer by magna https://magnahifi.com/mano-ultra-music-streamer-high-res/
*** its output is already I2S so I don't think we need DI-20HE for this choice?

3. If DI-20HE is a better choice, I might plan to get it around coming X'mas. Is there any rumor about newer version of DI-20HE? Kingwa always keep up with tons of upgraded version / units.

4. Frank question. Which is better IC (R7HE -> HE9) between XLR and ACSS? It is a kind of subjective question but just wondering. For me, I compare mid-end Tchernov XLR cables to stock AGD ACSS cable. Tchernov XLR is better and louder at the same HE9 volume. I don't have any clue about premium ACSS cables apart from Kingwa stock cable ones.

PS, for all SOtM owners. I have chatted with May from SOtM and received promising news that they are developing SOtM streaming app (PC, Mac, Andriod and iOS) and hopefully it will be available in 2022. Undoubtedly, it will be more convenient that its web-based platform, enhatsu.

Thanks in advance.
1. Dacs have to play music to burn the output stages and the d/a boards.
2. I doubt the di20he will be updated anytime soon. I sure can recommend it combined to the usbridge signature ( rpi3b+-based ) transport. It will sound better than with just a regular rpi just using an ebay ultra-low noise psu. It will cost you around 400usd.
3. No
4. Acss. The best i have tried is the Nimak 5 which sells for around 400usd for 1m. Kingwa’s cable is an entry-level

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back