Audio-GD DI-20
May 2, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #2,836 of 5,351
I am experiencing problems and distorted sound with 24/48 files when streaming from Qobuz and Tidal. Sometimes there is the same issue with 24/96 as well, has anyone else this problem? Have already tried the latest firmware to no avail.
USB input? I use Tidal daily from Aurender (Linux) USB to DI20HE and do not experience any playback issues as described. Using DI20 3.933 f/w. I2S and AES/EBU outputs.

May 3, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #2,838 of 5,351
Uptone Etherregen>Innuos USB>DI20 HE Coax>Metrum Adagio. Ok, will try 3.933 firmware next.
Did you try other USB source like laptop directly to DDC? Not to compare SQ, but to find out the place where stream breaks up.

May 3, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #2,840 of 5,351
@Mix80. That is interesting! Specifically R7 2020 and R-1 DAC Linux firmware (Apr 2021) that is coordinated with the Amanero Linux firmware. Perhaps sign things are happening for us Linux users. Doesn’t help me with the old R7.

Here’s the English translation of the Chinese firmware download page.
http://www.translatetheweb.com/?from=&to=en&dl=en&ref=trb&a=http://www.audio-gd.com/Firmwaredownload_ch.htm
I have never updated Amanero FW within DI-20, mine Windows Server 2012. Does it mean the Linux and new AGD FW wouldn't apply to my case?

May 4, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #2,842 of 5,351
I am experiencing problems and distorted sound with 24/48 files when streaming from Qobuz and Tidal. Sometimes there is the same issue with 24/96 as well, has anyone else this problem? Have already tried the latest firmware to no avail.
It may have to do with a hardware or firmware glitch of the DI-20 itself. I'm still getting extreme distortion at random times after start-up, even with the new firmware v4.075 (although less frequent than with last year's). It's nearly earsplitting levels and continues until it's reset, or in my case I've been able to usually fix it by cycling through serial/parallel or input modes with the front panel buttons, a troubleshoot hack that may also help you.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #2,843 of 5,351
I forget here or in the R7 & R8 thread someone mentioned a requirement for a extra long USB cable.
Just post a link about it from the Chord TT2 thread, this post included 3 items:
(1) Monoprice SlimRun USB-A to USB-A Female 3.0 Extension Cable - Fiber Optic;
(2) USPCB A>B Adapter;
(3) Anker 5V charger.

Personally, I will recommend a Raspberry Pi or similar(for example, USBridge signature) to be near to the DI-20 and it reads the files from remote server via Ethernet and plays them to the DI-20, other than the above solution.

May 5, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #2,844 of 5,351
It may have to do with a hardware or firmware glitch of the DI-20 itself. I'm still getting extreme distortion at random times after start-up, even with the new firmware v4.075 (although less frequent than with last year's). It's nearly earsplitting levels and continues until it's reset, or in my case I've been able to usually fix it by cycling through serial/parallel or input modes with the front panel buttons, a troubleshoot hack that may also help you.
This is not related to a firmware. It is breaking synchronisation, a sign of data errors. Normally errors during USB transfer happen very rare, but it is observed on very long cable >5m, it can be in result of a hardware failure or simply a ground loop problem. On Windows PC with Foobar 2000 I observed exactly the same type of distortions when using WASAPI push mode. In the event mode it breaks a stream for a half second and recovers nicely. The same happens when using Windows 10 native UAC 2.0 drivers. Note that changing to the event mode is not a solution.

Chosing a different cable as suggested helps, but I suggest to investigate a problem. Read this post fix for R2R-11, it can be the same cause. In my case it not only stop occasional breaking synchronisation, but it end up with improved SQ as well.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #2,845 of 5,351
Ok, have tried with a laptop and bypassed the Innuos Zen and the Etherregen. Still distortion. In with the Zen again. Changed firmware to 3.933, which seemed to fix the distortion on 24/48 files but after a while i noticed some noise on certain 24/96 files, on others no noise. Changed to 4.075, no change, most files work, some have distortion. It seems there is no pattern to this?

May 5, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #2,846 of 5,351
Ok, have tried with a laptop and bypassed the Innuos Zen and the Etherregen. Still distortion. In with the Zen again. Changed firmware to 3.933, which seemed to fix the distortion on 24/48 files but after a while i noticed some noise on certain 24/96 files, on others no noise. Changed to 4.075, no change, most files work, some have distortion. It seems there is no pattern to this?

Have you triad without DI20? If the distortion is surly linked to the DI20 it is best to contact AGD.

May 5, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #2,848 of 5,351
Hi Thinman, if we talk about the same problem maybe I can help you. I found a way to stop the noise. I have the DI-20 for two weeks now and from the beginning I experienced noise with some files. It's a sort of static noise which rides on the music wave. With other words it's not a constant noise. It goes up and down with the music.

My streamer is self-build and I play with Euphony with Roon embedded. It's a Linux based program.

You can try the following if you play with Roon. When you experience distortion tap the little purple star next to the play/pause button while the song is playing. You get a pop-up screen showing the signal path. Then tap the three dots. You get a pop-up screen with the words "device set-up" and "DSP". Go to DSP first and enable sample rate conversion. After that go to device setup and then choose another MQA setting and tap "Save". After that start the song again. In my case the static noise is gone and mostly I can play music files the whole day without problems. Sadly it's a temporary solution. The problem will come back. If it occurs again I follow the same procedure and switch between "no MQA support" and "decoder and renderer".

It's a really strange problem and I only can guess at the cause. Before the DI-20 I had the Singxer SU-1 which never had a problem.

Hope this will help for you. It's not a definitive solution but I can listen (temporary) without distortion to my music files.

Eric

May 6, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #2,850 of 5,351
Eric, thank you for your suggestion. But no, it doesnt work. As Jos of Magna hifi doesnt know what the cause is, i have reached out to AGD and Kingwa.
Hi Thinman. That's too bad. Is the distortion you have the same as I described, riding on the music wave, going up and down with the music or is it of a different kind? I also had contact with Jos about the distortion I have (he is a fellow countryman of me) and he also doesn't recognize the distortion I described to him. So I am also interested in the opinion of Kingwa. Can you share his message on this forum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back