Audio-GD DI-20
Jul 23, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #2,926 of 5,353
Many would like to know the effect of the external clocks on jitter and noise as compared to the internal clock. If any benefits using the ext clock.
Short answer. External clock synchronisation is critical to ensure that both devices (source and destignation) are synchronised to the same frequency. It allows to avoid de-jittering techniques (like PLL/SRC), which are inferior to the direct clocking from the stable source. In addition, external clock devices are selling with a magnitude lower jitter than small clock oscilators.

Read this thread, some posts from the last three months are focusing on the external clock topic. Unfortunately, only TOTL devices have external clock input, but it makes sense, as far I can tell. It must be some level of transparency in the system (i.e. free of ground loops and other noise sources), then the external clock brings SQ to the next level.

Jul 23, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #2,927 of 5,353
Short answer. External clock synchronisation is critical to ensure that both devices (source and destignation) are synchronised to the same frequency. It allows to avoid de-jittering techniques (like PLL/SRC), which are inferior to the direct clocking from the stable source. In addition, external clock devices are selling with a magnitude lower jitter than small clock oscilators.

Read this thread, some posts from the last three months are focusing on the external clock topic. Unfortunately, only TOTL devices have external clock input, but it makes sense, as far I can tell. It must be some level of transparency in the system (i.e. free of ground loops and other noise sources), then the external clock brings SQ to the next level.
The main issue with 10mhz clocks is that whilst having all devices synced to one clock can be beneficial, the quality of the clock synthesizer in the receiving device is important.
The devices are NOT running directly off the 10mhz reference, they need to synthesize a 44.1khz/48khz base rate clock signal from it.

And so whilst it SHOULD be beneficial, it's not a given, as some devices may not do this very well, and also some 10mhz clocks may not be that good either.

Jul 23, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #2,928 of 5,353
The main issue with 10mhz clocks is that whilst having all devices synced to one clock can be beneficial, the quality of the clock synthesizer in the receiving device is important.
The devices are NOT running directly off the 10mhz reference, they need to synthesize a 44.1khz/48khz base rate clock signal from it.

And so whilst it SHOULD be beneficial, it's not a given, as some devices may not do this very well, and also some 10mhz clocks may not be that good either.
What is your point?

Jul 23, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #2,929 of 5,353
What is your point?
That using a 10mhz external clock is no guarantee of an improvement. There are various reasons why it could be worse than a 'typical' setup

Jul 23, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #2,930 of 5,353

Kingwa must be doing something right with clock synthesis, cause it works!

Jul 23, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #2,931 of 5,353
That using a 10mhz external clock is no guarantee of an improvement. There are various reasons why it could be worse than a 'typical' setup
Is that a point? You are arguing to the point I wrote, saying the same things.
Unfortunately, only TOTL devices have external clock input, but it makes sense, as far I can tell. It must be some level of transparency in the system (i.e. free of ground loops and other noise sources), then the external clock brings SQ to the next level.

Jul 27, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #2,933 of 5,353
Hello all ! I'm trying to update my Audio GD R7 2020 FPGA, following http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R720/R7updateEN.htm

I stumbled of course on the obsolete 12.1 Quartus program, and thanks to this thread I found https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!321&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1 and the 16.0 version. Now, I have a problem. The Blaster Driver dont want to install, even manually pointing to C:\altera\16.0\qprogrammer\drivers

I have a "code 39" error, like the driver was corrupt.

I feel this driver is not compatible with last versions of Windows 10 ? Do you know where I can find an updated driver, or what can be the problem ? (I searched "driver" or "code 39" on this forum, without success)

Thanks a lot in advance !

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #2,935 of 5,353
Windows 10 force signed drivers, you have to disable driver signing (restore defaults when finished). 64-bit version is probably incompatible. Use Win7 as suggested.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #2,936 of 5,353
The blaster with a FTDI brand usb-interface chip will be more likely compatible with the drivers from win 10 itself or Quartus 16.0 and up.
But a FTDI chip will raise at least $10 more on the price of a blaster.

A little update: Personally, I will recommend Waveshare or XYGStudy's usb blaster v2(the v1 and v2's difference is only the compatible protocols based on Waveshare's wiki) or the higher price Terasic P0302 if the users are in US. Of cause if you are in China, the choices will be much much more.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #2,937 of 5,353
Well.. no easy way.. I tried to remove signed drivers by rebooting Windows with appropriate option (F7 etc..), but at reboot Windows asks me my Bitlocker key..
Newabc : you suggest I can buy another blaster interface, but there is already a blaster interface in R7 2020, and I've only an usb port to interface.

Anyway : thanks all for your answers. I'll try to find an old PC I can customize with Win7

Jul 28, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #2,938 of 5,353
Well.. no easy way.. I tried to remove signed drivers by rebooting Windows with appropriate option (F7 etc..), but at reboot Windows asks me my Bitlocker key..
Newabc : you suggest I can buy another blaster interface, but there is already a blaster interface in R7 2020, and I've only an usb port to interface.

Anyway : thanks all for your answers. I'll try to find an old PC I can customize with Win7
I use v12 with windows10 no issue.

Jul 28, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #2,940 of 5,353
In fact, it is 12.1. It is still uvailable on some sites. You only need the programmer.

I had to patch my installation for the GUI to work on win8 but i think it should be fine on 10. My patched version work too as is (simple installation folder copy) on my other pc running win10.

This site for instance offers a download, not sure how good or safe, i have not tried it: https://quartus-ii-programmer.software.informer.com/12.1/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back