Audio-GD DI-20
Jul 28, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #2,941 of 5,353
In fact, it is 12.1. It is still uvailable on some sites. You only need the programmer.

I had to patch my installation for the GUI to work on win8 but i think it should be fine on 10. My patched version work too as is (simple installation folder copy) on my other pc running win10.

This site for instance offers a download, not sure how good or safe, i have not tried it: https://quartus-ii-programmer.software.informer.com/12.1/
The download link on this site points to V14.. and in fine to the Intel site, which needs an account.. I am not to the point to make the GUI function : I am to the point of Blaster to be recognized by device manager !

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #2,943 of 5,353
I downloaded the 21.1 version on the Intel site, hoping a newer driver. I uninstalled the older one, and installed the new one => no more luck. This time, no "code 39" but a unidentified error.. I look for an old PC now..

Jul 28, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #2,945 of 5,353
Well.. no easy way.. I tried to remove signed drivers by rebooting Windows with appropriate option (F7 etc..), but at reboot Windows asks me my Bitlocker key..
Newabc : you suggest I can buy another blaster interface, but there is already a blaster interface in R7 2020, and I've only an usb port to interface.

Anyway : thanks all for your answers. I'll try to find an old PC I can customize with Win7
Is your R7-2020 using a mini-usb port like this(It was shipped before 6/18/2020)?
R712.jpg

If so, I think the interface chip was soldered inside the R7 chassis and we may ask for the technical support from Audio-gd.

If the update port looks like below, I think the only thing to do is to get another usb blaster with FTDI chip, other than the stock one was shipped together with DI-20 or R7, R8.
updateport.JPG

Jul 29, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #2,947 of 5,353
I always did this way !

Concerning the port, this is an USB port, like in this URL http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R720/R7updateEN.htm , not blaster port (I can't see the jpgs)

Thanks all for your help !!
If the update port looks like the one in your URL, it is a mini-usb port. I think you can contact Audio-gd to see whether there is a standard JTAG port of 10 pin header with Altera Standard pinout inside the chassis. If so, you can open the chassis and plug in a USB blaster.

As the below picture, the JTAG cable on the left and the pinout on the right. (But most of the blasters like below one, are the ones usually said on the blaster product information that need windows 7 and quartus v12.x.)
576_P_1525298140093.jpg

Jul 29, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #2,948 of 5,353
I use a 0.5m 4k hdmi cable made by Afterdark at the moment. I can recommend it, it is among the two best i tried.

Sorry, guys if this might be off-topic.

Just to report Fred that I finally decided to get Tubulus Argentus i2s and After Dark Lan cables.

I can assure folks that if you are looking for intense sound, punch and slam while maintaining resolutions, micro details, airiness and sound stage, then these two cables can be put to your rig. I'm now so happy with them as they've brought the sound to another level.

https://www.tubulus.net/product/tubulus-argentus-i2s-cable/

https://www.adark.co/products/afterdark-constellation-cfs-cat7-telegartner-mfp8-edition

Happy listening guys.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #2,949 of 5,353
Sorry, guys if this might be off-topic.

Just to report Fred that I finally decided to get Tubulus Argentus i2s and After Dark Lan cables.

I can assure folks that if you are looking for intense sound, punch and slam while maintaining resolutions, micro details, airiness and sound stage, then these two cables can be put to your rig. I'm now so happy with them as they've brought the sound to another level.

https://www.tubulus.net/product/tubulus-argentus-i2s-cable/

https://www.adark.co/products/afterdark-constellation-cfs-cat7-telegartner-mfp8-edition

Happy listening guys.
That’s great but boy, the Tubulus is expensive. Trying to figure out if if the price would be justified for me…

Jul 29, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #2,950 of 5,353
Hello all ! I'm trying to update my Audio GD R7 2020 FPGA, following http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R720/R7updateEN.htm

I stumbled of course on the obsolete 12.1 Quartus program, and thanks to this thread I found https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!321&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1 and the 16.0 version. Now, I have a problem. The Blaster Driver dont want to install, even manually pointing to C:\altera\16.0\qprogrammer\drivers

I have a "code 39" error, like the driver was corrupt.

I feel this driver is not compatible with last versions of Windows 10 ? Do you know where I can find an updated driver, or what can be the problem ? (I searched "driver" or "code 39" on this forum, without success)

Thanks a lot in advance !
The link from onedrive by the member here is good. I'm sorry, I should thank and attribute the member who saved the driver and doc for us but I can't remember his name now.

The issue is new security features in Win 10. Turn off core isolation in your security options, reboot, and you can use the driver with Win 10 64 bit (home and pro). Unfortunately, you can never turn on core isolation and have the Quartus drivers installed at the same time.

Guys, thank you for all your help and advice. I have been off the site due to the atrocious conduct in general. The audio-gd threads are about the only decent place left.

I wanted to post this info since you guys have helped me so much and I have been enjoying my new gear. But I will probably not be on the site much anymore. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #2,951 of 5,353
The link from onedrive by the member here is good. I'm sorry, I should thank and attribute the member who saved the driver and doc for us but I can't remember his name now.

The issue is new security features in Win 10. Turn off core isolation in your security options, reboot, and you can use the driver with Win 10 64 bit (home and pro). Unfortunately, you can never turn on core isolation and have the Quartus drivers installed at the same time.

Guys, thank you for all your help and advice. I have been off the site due to the atrocious conduct in general. The audio-gd threads are about the only decent place left.

I wanted to post this info since you guys have helped me so much and I have been enjoying my new gear. But I will probably not be on the site much anymore. Thanks.
Thanks. This is very kind of you. You are always welcome here.

Jul 29, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #2,952 of 5,353

Thanks for the tip on core isolation. Quartus 16.0 still runs OK on my Win 10 64 system.

With no driver installed does WIndows HW Mgr see the unconfigured Blaster? My PC, for 5 years, will only see the Blaster on certain USB parts. Try a different port (3.0 vs 2.0 or front/ back). Also, the Blaster needs USB +5V to function.

Jul 30, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #2,953 of 5,353
Yes the unconfigured Blaster shows in the device manager, at root when no driver, and appropriate place (USB tree) and a question mark with the driver installer with error.
This is probably (as said by others) a security issue. As I said above, when I try to suppress signed driver security (special reboot, 7 or "F7" option etc..) my laptop asks my Bitlocker key at reboot ! I have it, or I can retreive it, but I don't want to risk to mess with Bitlocker. An hurdle, well, a wall, shows in each way !!

The last way is to retreive an old PC where I can install W7.

Jul 30, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #2,954 of 5,353
Yes the unconfigured Blaster shows in the device manager, at root when no driver, and appropriate place (USB tree) and a question mark with the driver installer with error.
This is probably (as said by others) a security issue. As I said above, when I try to suppress signed driver security (special reboot, 7 or "F7" option etc..) my laptop asks my Bitlocker key at reboot ! I have it, or I can retreive it, but I don't want to risk to mess with Bitlocker. An hurdle, well, a wall, shows in each way !!

The last way is to retreive an old PC where I can install W7.
Actually even I load a firmware update or boot loader update on linux with one of my laptop, it asks me for the BitLocker key if I turn back to Win 10. It is quite common for a linux user on a dual-boot laptop with a TPM chip.

Jul 30, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #2,955 of 5,353
That’s great but boy, the Tubulus is expensive. Trying to figure out if if the price would be justified for me…

Couldn't agree more. I was lucky enough to get the used one, otherwise I would had bought the After Dark i2s as you recommended.

Just to say thank you to you again. This thread helps me a tons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back