Audio-GD DI-20
Aug 20, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #1,892 of 5,353
@smodtactical I use CAT6, shielded wire (Either Blue Jean or Audioquest patch cable). I have not done any detail comparison. I am also using Uptone Audio Switch. The switch is very important.

Aug 20, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #1,893 of 5,353
The switch is very important.

Wow on the used market they sell off immediately at close to retail. That switch can be fed a 10mhz clock (50ohm is special order) and it will allow me to go to optical when I'm ready to replace my current 150ft run. I would give it the square wave from my Morion. Do you know what Vpp it wants from a clock? My Morion is 0.3-3Vpp.

Aug 21, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #1,894 of 5,353
Hans said the uptone is better than the sotm switch.

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #1,895 of 5,353
I'm just curious what is the use case of something like the Uptone Audio Switch? Possibly for a Rasp.-PI type standalone streamer or do some PC's output audio from the Ethernet port? And how would one use an external clock with it, does it simultaneously go to both that and the DI-20?

Aug 22, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #1,896 of 5,353
Hans said the uptone is better than the sotm switch.

I'm just curious what is the use case of something like the Uptone Audio Switch? Possibly for a Rasp.-PI type standalone streamer or do some PC's output audio from the Ethernet port? And how would one use an external clock with it, does it simultaneously go to both that and the DI-20?

Jesus I just spent $650 on a 100mbit switch like it's 1995. Probably giving it 9v from a 2amp tap on the hdplex. Alex @uptone said it likes the square wave and I got one of those unspoken for. Alex also said there's good demand for the 50ohm units in Hong Kong. It's so funny how audiophile habits aren't shaken by riots and a very uncertain future.

Aug 22, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #1,898 of 5,353
Hey guys I just compared the newest v4.07 Beta firmware to the original firmware V3.32 on the DI-20 (90/98M version). Kingwa asked me to try the original firmware to see if that may fix the issue I've been having with this newest firmware that causes me to hear an static noise injected during playback sometimes, and even loud buzzing sounds sometimes with DSD playback (this may be prevelant only via its' S/PDIF output (RCA coax, the only type compatible with my DACs. You can read more on my post here.)

It wasn't a direct comparison, having to switch between firmware versions but still had a pretty good handle on the difference after five minutes. The original firmware sounded impressive and good, I had to strain to imagine it any more accurate than that, but something left me feeling as if there's something missing, probably having already gotten used to the V4.07 firmware for a few weeks... returning to this newest firmware, BAM!! Not a subtle difference! Without a doubt, I feel I'm being transported "deeper into the scene" where I'm more of a participant than a spectator, where drums hit with more realism and the chorals engulf you. Treble is more lifelike vs. possibly thin on the former, and bass has more authority.

Although for me personally the above mentioned occasional issue has returned again, I'm pleased to deal with it in exchange for the standout performance of this new firmware. I've told Kingwa about it and he can't replicate the issue on his side, so I think almost anybody will be safe from my issue on the new firmware - though certainly looking forward to any future revision to it.

Also it was mentioned that this new update has something to do with better integration with the DI-20 internal clock. Does anyone have any thoughts on that, and what about this: Has anyone tried this update with an external clock? If so, did the firmware level the playing field a little or does it still benefit very much from an external clock?

PS, about my question above: I'm using a PC-USB-RCA coax setup and the only Ethernet connection I have is for a hard-wired Internet input to my laptop, hence why the Ethernet switch seems a little alien to me.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #1,900 of 5,353
The DI20 is one of the best purchases for me, no issues whatsoever. I won't even invest in an external clock cause there will never be a "day and night" difference against my 90/98m internal.
Mine is also bullet proof doing USB=>I2S. If you're one to roll the dice on a $100 cable then this is well within reason.
Alex @uptone sent me that link - looks like an unbranded DOXCO like the one in the TerminatorPlus.
If you like what you hear and want more, then swap in a 2008 Morion (I see 4 solder points)
Or offer Queen's_land something closer to $200 and see if he takes it ($300+ is stupid).

@DecentLevi
whatever is your last ethernet connection before reaching the DI20 (I suppose your laptop) will instead connect to the 100mbit B port on the etherregen.
On the other end is an A bank of gigabit ports that you'd connect back to your router. For many this would be an extra hop but I'm already using a
$17 Trendnet switch that I plan to swap out, and someday I'll get a pair of SFP tranceivers and isolate my switch galvanically, but I'll need to cut one end off a 35m+ run and snake that through small holes in/around the home, then re-terminate.

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #1,901 of 5,353
Wow on the used market they sell off immediately at close to retail. That switch can be fed a 10mhz clock (50ohm is special order) and it will allow me to go to optical when I'm ready to replace my current 150ft run. I would give it the square wave from my Morion. Do you know what Vpp it wants from a clock? My Morion is 0.3-3Vpp.

I dont quite know
When I use DAPU (3.3VPP), the sound jumps to another level.
You will love this switch.....

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #1,902 of 5,353
I have the Morion switch feeding the DI20HE. Makes a difference to my clogged ears.

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #1,903 of 5,353
Hey guys I just compared the newest v4.07 Beta firmware to the original firmware V3.32 on the DI-20 (90/98M version). Kingwa asked me to try the original firmware to see if that may fix the issue I've been having with this newest firmware that causes me to hear
snip!!
PS, about my question above: I'm using a PC-USB-RCA coax setup and the only Ethernet connection I have is for a hard-wired Internet input to my laptop, hence why the Ethernet switch seems a little alien to me.

I have an external clock but have not upgraded the firmware as yet. I like the external clock better.

In your setup. I think the laptop - ethernet is sending a garbled digital to your audio chain. Which is then sent to your DAC. Even the upstream parts seems to matter a lot. I earlier had the mac mini feeding the DAC via USB. The switch was a huge + impact. When I added the DI20HE the impact was lesser. The price of the switch and the DI20HE is almost same......

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #1,904 of 5,353
Mine is also bullet proof doing USB=>I2S. If you're one to roll the dice on a $100 cable then this is well within reason.
Alex @uptone sent me that link - looks like an unbranded DOXCO like the one in the TerminatorPlus.
If you like what you hear and want more, then swap in a 2008 Morion (I see 4 solder points)
Or offer Queen's_land something closer to $200 and see if he takes it ($300+ is stupid).

@DecentLevi
whatever is your last ethernet connection before reaching the DI20 (I suppose your laptop) will instead connect to the 100mbit B port on the etherregen.
On the other end is an A bank of gigabit ports that you'd connect back to your router. For many this would be an extra hop but I'm already using a
$17 Trendnet switch that I plan to swap out, and someday I'll get a pair of SFP tranceivers and isolate my switch galvanically, but I'll need to cut one end off a 35m+ run and snake that through small holes in/around the home, then re-terminate.

I've had the first option you've given, been using it with my U16, it's quite good but never a day and night difference.
Some said the Queen's_land double oven is great, but even with a great clock, how better can it be? I'll stay with the internal.

Aug 22, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #1,905 of 5,353
The switch was a huge + impact. When I added the DI20HE the impact was lesser.
Your saying your sound benefited more from the switch than the DI20HE? I may have to wait till October to corroborate.
Did you notice which benefited more from the DOXCO? (switch vs DI20HE)

@ProLoL it's a crap shoot. You've got some tweaks that only help a midfi chain, and it either does nothing for or even holds back (ie hurts) a hifi chain. Then there are tweaks that are only evident on hifi and show no benefit at all on midfi. Recently I was able to hear a diff between AC power cords going into an LPS feeding the computer -- if something silly like that has an effect then there must be an ideal humidity and barometric pressure for listening to speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back