Audio-gd DAC 19 (MKIV)
Feb 24, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #31 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know I'm just interested in the DSP1 a lot. I just want to see if it is worth the $200+ price difference.

It seems to work extremely well in the Reference 1/7 DACs. Back when the DAC8 was Audio-gd's top of the line DAC, they added the DSP1 module to it and it became the Reference 1 which was the new and improved model. I can't imagine that the same types of improvements wouldn't be realized by the DAC19.

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #32 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My guess since i have not heard them both, would be that it wouldn't make that big of a difference, the dsp1 is supposed to help with jitter alot, but the jurry is still out on whether or not we can even hear it. I would say that since you're not trying to invest a whole bunch anyways that you should just get the df1704 version
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know I'm just interested in the DSP1 a lot. I just want to see if it is worth the $200+ price difference.

Besides, the jitter reduction, the new DSP-1 has a lot other functions which supposedly makes it better than the older df1704. In theory, its programmable functions and raw power would enable the designer to use more accurate one pass oversampling filters. Anyway, I would also find curious that Kingwa would use exclusively the DSP-1 on his flagship DACs if it didn't provide a big improvement over the older chips DF1704 and PMD100.

Anyway, I did some research and I wasn't able to find direct comparisons of the 2 filters ... So it is just an educated guess for now. Hopefully, some new DAC19 owners will do the A/B tests...

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #33 of 155
Since everybody seems curious about how the 2 digital filters, I asked Kingwa and here is his (long) answer :
The DSP1 is applied high speed FPGA , I have asked a lot technician how about FPGA and moto DSP56000, they agree the FPGA is better for digital audio than the Moto DSP56000 line up. The FPGA has long life and high speed , and the configure is better than DSP56000 in digital audio system.
The DSP1 has very low phase change. And our DAC applied 6DB/oct analogy filter, (a lot other brand all use 12DB/oct or 18DB/oct filter), 6DB/OCT has low phase distortion than 12DB.
The DF1704 I have applied a lot years, I find the slow roll off sound more neutral and more detail the sharp roll off. And slow roll off has lower phase distortion.
The DSP1 compare to DF1704, just like our RE1 and the DAC9MK3, they has same configure but only different of the DSP1 and DF1704. The sound is a bit different. The DF1704 is a little bright side, the DSP1 is neutral, the PMD100 is a little warm side. But the DSP is a bit more detail and dynamic and better extend on low and high.
There was around 30 owners use our DAC8LE upgrade to DSP1 and find better sense, this is a direct compare.
Kingwa
Having tried both the PMD100 and DF1704, I agree with with Kingwa's description of the PMD100 being slightly on the warm side and the DF1704 being slightly on the bright side.
So it seems that the DSP-1 is "more neutral", more detailed, more dynamic and with better extension at the highs and lows... Very tempting! I am probably going to have to upgrade to the dac19-DSP at some point
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #34 of 155
Don't know what the heck that whole chunk of text is about but it sure sounds good
tongue_smile.gif

I'll probably be getting a dac19 dsp instead of waiting for the upcoming 'entry level' balanced dac. It's a little more than what i'm willing to pay, although i'm curious how well it will sound given my balanced rig

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #35 of 155
DAC19 DSP arrived today
biggrin.gif

Excellent customer services from Kingwa again, and took only 3 days to ship this time!

Just connected via USB just now until my hiFace arrives, but instantly in love with the huge amount of bass, especially listening to dubstep/drum & bass.

Very impressed
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #36 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Besides, the jitter reduction, the new DSP-1 has a lot other functions which supposedly makes it better than the older df1704. In theory, its programmable functions and raw power would enable the designer to use more accurate one pass oversampling filters. Anyway, I would also find curious that Kingwa would use exclusively the DSP-1 on his flagship DACs if it didn't provide a big improvement over the older chips DF1704 and PMD100.
Anyway, I did some research and I wasn't able to find direct comparisons of the 2 filters ... So it is just an educated guess for now. Hopefully, some new DAC19 owners will do the A/B tests...

Thats my thinking as well and is why I ordered the DSP version. I've had it about 3 weeks now and am very impressed with the sound and build quality. Of course I haven't heard the df1704 version so can't comment if it is indeed better, but would think Kingwa would use the better sounding components in his top of the line units.

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #38 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by noinimod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know if something's up at audio gd? They haven't replied my mail for 3 days now, wonder if anything's wrong, especially when kingwa's known for his speedy replies. hmmm

Maybe you could try sending another e-mail (he might have missed the first one). I got a reply from him yesterday, so I wouldn' worry much about anything being wrong
beyersmile.png

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #39 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you could try sending another e-mail (he might have missed the first one). I got a reply from him yesterday, so I wouldn' worry much about anything being wrong
beyersmile.png

Hmmm then that is very strange indeed, because i sent him a total of 3 mails and no reply.

Wonder if it's cos i asked for a discount? I asked nicely AND in chinese
frown.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #40 of 155
Quote:

Hmmm then that is very strange indeed, because i sent him a total of 3 mails and no reply.

frown.gif

If you sent him 3 emails, it is strange that he didn't answer. By the way did you get the automatic reply messages?

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #41 of 155
Sure did. I double checked that the email i sent was to the right address too. Not sure what to do now, bug him with more mails?
tongue.gif

I'm right on the verge of ordering a DAC19 DSP and this delay has killed some of the excitement

Feb 25, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #42 of 155
did anyone asked/get an invoice for any product from audio-gd ? I need an invoice as proof for customs so they can apply the taxes. I don't want to bother kingwa with an email.

the french dealer has the wrong pictures of audio-gd 19 dsp dac on their website.

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #43 of 155
Quote:

frown.gif

I did something similar, asked if I could review one of his products either free of charge or at a discount, got no reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back