Audio-gd DAC 19 (MKIV)
Feb 28, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #61 of 155
Just ordered an audio-gd DAC19 with the dsp1. Lots of reading made it clear that this DAC seems to offer pretty serious value for money. I am genuinely excited to hear it vs my Apogee Duet. Thankfully, there is a UK dealer so I should have it midweek. I presume that optical might be the best way for me to hook it up (to my MBP)?

Feb 28, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #62 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by St3ve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered an audio-gd DAC19 with the dsp1. Lots of reading made it clear that this DAC seems to offer pretty serious value for money. I am genuinely excited to hear it vs my Apogee Duet. Thankfully, there is a UK dealer so I should have it midweek. I presume that optical might be the best way for me to hook it up (to my MBP)?

Nice, keep us updated with your impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm right now i'm wondering if i should just get the DF version. I find it hard to justify the extra USD150 just for a different filter chip (and different capacitors). The DSP1 upgrade is almost a good 30% more top-up from the DF. I've tried googling but there isn't much info on the DSP1
redface.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #63 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by noinimod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice, keep us updated with your impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm right now i'm wondering if i should just get the DF version. I find it hard to justify the extra USD150 just for a different filter chip (and different capacitors). The DSP1 upgrade is almost a good 30% more top-up from the DF. I've tried googling but there isn't much info on the DSP1
redface.gif

The DSP1 is more like a CPU (Pentium II) than just a filter chip...it has up to 4 PLL circuits, 16 global clocks, proper termination of the digital signal in single ended and differential modes, on board cache memory many times the size of standard filter chips and a few other features that slip my memory ATM. In addition to those features it's PLL circuits are 100% phase correct which is very very important, combined with the DIR9001 input receiver and BNC connections it's jitter rejection is outstanding. It's also a high bandwidth high speed processor (250 MHZ) rather than just a filter chip. It gives you options the DF1704 just can't match like OS rate choices (0X or NOS, 2X,4X and 8X), stop band filter slope rates (-50db,-90db,-130db) I2S data format from DIR9001, Three-stage linear-phase ( group delay distortion : Zero) FIR filter configuration, Passband: 0~0.4535Fs/Passband Ripple: within ±0.00001dB, etc etc...

Here is the link to the DSP1 page at A-gd http://www.audio-gd.com/enweb/DACRE1.htm and the relevant page of the manufacturer of the chip (Altera Cyclone II) Download FPGA

The usual application for this chip is HDTV processing (1080P) but it can also be used to process digital audio (obviously). It's a novel use of technology and well worth the additional cost IMO.

The technical aspects of the Altera page are little hard to wrap your head around if you don't have a foundation in the basics of digital transmission theory/practical application (something I'm constantly working on with a layman's POV/education) but with a little digging and research you can make some meaningful headway.

I hope that helped fill some of the gaps about this chip and it's first time use in this way.

Peete.

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #64 of 155
Wow, thanks Peete. That was extremely helpful.

I went through Audio-gd's DSP1 page and the data means nothing to a layman like me.
You raised some important points, one being that the DSP is capable of much, but we don't know how its capabilities are being used, since it's a programmable chip? Correct me if i'm wrong though.

Even in one of the previous posts in this thread where a fellow head-fier posted up kingwa's comment regarding the dsp1, it is too abstract and technical - i still don't know how that translates into a notch up in audio quality.

Your post is giving me something to chew on, whether or not to cough up that extra dough for the DSP1
smily_headphones1.gif
It is indeed, such a tough decision.

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #66 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by bishyb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAC-19 DSP ordered
biggrin.gif

Upgrading from a borrowed Zero DAC, looking forward to the jump in sound quality...

I also went from the ZeroDAC to the Audio-GD DAC-19(MK3) and was suitably impressed...to say the least...

I'm sure you'll have many happy hours of music bliss!
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #67 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by shampoosuicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered a DAC-19 with the DF1704 filter.

Also, I came across this review of the DAC-19MK3. Did any of you happen to write this?
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Cambridge DACMagic (does not sound any better than $99 NuForce uDAC)

Interesting comment...

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #68 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloggs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also went from the ZeroDAC to the Audio-GD DAC-19(MK3) and was suitably impressed...to say the least...

I'm sure you'll have many happy hours of music bliss!
biggrin.gif

Yeah absolutely amazed by the DAC19 so far, still only connected via USB so lots more improvement to come when my hiFace finally arrives...

As much as I'm enjoying my Denon D2000s, the DAC19 when connected to my Monitor Audio floorstanders sounds far more incredible, the instrument separation and huge lower end lead to much more engaging and enjoyable sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #69 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by shampoosuicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered a DAC-19 with the DF1704 filter.

Also, I came across this review of the DAC-19MK3. Did any of you happen to write this?
smily_headphones1.gif

Gotta say that the text sounds slightly like user "regal" on Head-Fi. But that's just my guess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #70 of 155
Received my DAC19 (DSP) today, and my first impressions are very good. I am actually quite shocked at how much of an improvement there is over my Duet - I wasn't expecting a dramatic difference in SQ, knowing that the Duet is pretty good converter already, but there seems to be a really tangible difference. I am getting a bit of hum from the unit though, which strangely seems to disappear immediately after turning my amp on - transformer hum? it's odd but seems to disappear quickly enough.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #71 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by St3ve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received my DAC19 (DSP) today, and my first impressions are very good. I am actually quite shocked at how much of an improvement there is over my Duet - I wasn't expecting a dramatic difference in SQ, knowing that the Duet is pretty good converter already, but there seems to be a really tangible difference. I am getting a bit of hum from the unit though, which strangely seems to disappear immediately after turning my amp on - transformer hum? it's odd but seems to disappear quickly enough.

i see you have a macbook pro, are you just running optical out of the mbp to the dac19?

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #72 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i see you have a macbook pro, are you just running optical out of the mbp to the dac19?

I am indeed - I am not sure if it is the 'best' way, though.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #73 of 155
i think it was said here earlier than ACCS output could be swapped for another RCA output on DAC19. would it be possible to swap optical input for BNC input?

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #74 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think it was said here earlier than ACCS output could be swapped for another RCA output on DAC19. would it be possible to swap optical input for BNC input?

Yup, just let him know in the email you send that thats what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back