Audio-gd DAC 19 (MKIV)
Jan 28, 2010 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 155

dex85

100+ Head-Fier
Audio-gd DAC 19

DAC19D2.jpg

4th generation of DAC 19, many were asking for a separate thread, so here it is. any impressions or comparisons to MKIII?

i'm also curious what different/better Kingwa's DSP do compared to PCM1704UK digital filter. he didn't go into much details on the website.

Jan 28, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 155
For me the most important question is question about sonic difference between DSP and DIR9001 version.
Second question is if DSP version is less sensitive to transport than DIR9001 version.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me the most important question is question about sonic difference between DSP and DIR9001 version.
Second question is if DSP version is less sensitive to transport than DIR9001 version.

I'd like to hear some opinions/reviews about the sonic differences between th DSP and DF versions as well.

As for the second question, in the description of the DSP chip, Kingwa makes a point of saying that one of the main purposes of the DSP is to make the transport or digital source more agnostic (IE, less difference between a highend and mass market transport)

Jan 29, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 155
This past year was been an extremely hard on me, but fortunately I got a small tax refund and figured to hell with it, I deserve something; hence I ordered a DAC19 dsp1. So far it has an incredible bottom end that is very detailed. The mid section seems a little foward while the high end is very black (meaning no hiss) and maybe a touch laid back. Got to give it time to burn in.

Edit:
5 hours of burnin so far and wow the bass is unfreaking believable! Its so impactful and tight. Gear Denon DVD-2200 (borrowed) -> Audio-gd DAC19-DSP1 -> (borrowed ) HD650s w/foam replaced with screen mod -> Dynahi

Gosh I hope Im not hurting the HD650s because they are just pounding right now

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 155
I have had my DAC 19 DSP w/C2 for a couple of days and I am loving it. If this stuff is going to open up with time then I am in for a treat because it already sounds great. I am so glad I went with Audio gd versus LD.

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Im pretty sure all of them use the DIR9001, thats just the reciever chip. What you want to know is the difference between the DF1704 and the DSP-1 which is the filter.

Feb 9, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 155
this new dac needs some reviews badly. If I buy this dac can i go wrong? now i am using xonar d2x soundcard and i am wondering how much of improvement i will get, if its worth paying 630$+delivery+VAT. I mostly listen to metal music, so i am looking for a darker heavy sound, with a deep soundstage, with xonar i get a flat sound, the guitars sounds really anemic. i will appreciate any advice.

Feb 10, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by soberspine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this new dac needs some reviews badly. If I buy this dac can i go wrong? now i am using xonar d2x soundcard and i am wondering how much of improvement i will get, if its worth paying 630$+delivery+VAT. I mostly listen to metal music, so i am looking for a darker heavy sound, with a deep soundstage, with xonar i get a flat sound, the guitars sounds really anemic. i will appreciate any advice.

It think the DAC19 DSP1 will fit your needs well. Very effortless deep bass. Night and day difference with as compared to my Denon cd player which sound thin.

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #12 of 155
Quote:

anyone else?
frown.gif
can anyone compare it with a asus or creative soundcard? just to make an idea how much of improvement to expect.

Not even close. The audio gd will obliterate the asus/creative. Then again, any decent DAC will

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #13 of 155
thx for the reply. I just can't make up my mind which version of the dac to buy.

I read somewhere on the DAC-19MK3 thread that with speakers its hard to hear differences between dacs, is this true?

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #14 of 155
Quote:

thx for the reply. I just can't make up my mind which version of the dac to buy.

I read somewhere on the DAC-19MK3 thread that with speakers its hard to hear differences between dacs, is this true?

Depends on what speakers you have. With studio monitors its easier to distinguish two DACs. For me 0404 USB and DacMagic was like day and night in favour of the DM.

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #15 of 155
FWIW, I think it depends on what the DACs do differently. For instance, if the soundstage is different, it's probably more obvious on speakers, whereas if it's a detail thing, headphones may show up the differences better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back