Audio-GD Compass HDAM?
Oct 10, 2009 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Jdmhood

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, i'm about to throw down some money for a compass. Can any of you give me a quick rundown of what each one behaves like?

-Earth v2
-Moon
-Sun v2

Or any recommendations at all? i'll be using the DAC only and outputting it to my LD MKIII with a 600ohm DT880.

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 47
This is off-topic but, don't you think buying a Compass is overkill if you just need a DAC?

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurotetsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is off-topic but, don't you think buying a Compass is overkill if you just need a DAC?

Well, i'll actually be taking it on the road with me sometimes. That way i can just leave my tube amp at home. ^_^ serves dual purposes
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 47
Earth = most neutral-sounding, fuller midrange compared to the Moon, most tonally complete, bass is tight, best imaging.

Moon = smooth-sounding, darker than the Earth, able to convey vocal emotion better than the Earth, midrange is recessed compared to the Earth, has more bass compared to the Earth and bass is slightly diffused, very good soundstaging.

I should be receiving my Sun V2 soon but Kingwa has been away so that would be delayed a bit I think.

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earth = most neutral-sounding, fuller midrange compared to the Moon, most tonally complete, bass is tight, best imaging.

Moon = smooth-sounding, darker than the Earth, able to convey vocal emotion better than the Earth, midrange is recessed compared to the Earth, has more bass compared to the Earth and bass is slightly diffused, very good soundstaging.

I should be receiving my Sun V2 soon but Kingwa has been away so that would be delayed a bit I think.

Wonderful! Thanks alot for the impressions. That's exactly what i'm looking for.
biggrin.gif

Now can anyone tell me how Sun v2 sounds?
dt880smile.png

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it would seem that the new burson would kill all these chips..

Do you have a link?

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdmhood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wonderful! Thanks alot for the impressions. That's exactly what i'm looking for.
biggrin.gif

Now can anyone tell me how Sun v2 sounds?
dt880smile.png

The SunV2 is more bright. Offering the same type of sound but with better high end extension.

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SunV2 is more bright. Offering the same type of sound but with better high end extension.

Thanks. Well from both of you guy's input. I think i may just stay with the default Earth OPA. Unless anyone has anything to add ^_^

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Thanks. Well from both of you guy's input. I think i may just stay with the default Earth OPA. Unless anyone has anything to add ^_^

The Earth is a great discrete and offers the most balanced neutral sound out of the avialable modules.

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #12 of 47
Thanks again for the info. I think i'll stick with the Earth for the time being and try the moon/ sun later on down the road. 3 Sound signatures with one DAC = fun ^_^.

Also, if any one have prior experience.. how difficult is it to change the HDAM on the compass?

Oct 10, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Thanks again for the info. I think i'll stick with the Earth for the time being and try the moon/ sun later on down the road. 3 Sound signatures with one DAC = fun ^_^.

Also, if any one have prior experience.. how difficult is it to change the HDAM on the compass?

Pretty simple.

IIRC, the compass has a opamp socket. You will need the Earth and probably a extension wire. Just make sure you keep the orientation correct.
You have to figure out where pin 1 is on the socket and on the opamp and install them properly.

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #15 of 47
Audio-gd used to make the Burson OPAMP. I doubt somehow that you could make some magic OPAMP that made any dramatic improvement in something like the Compass. Also, the Burson unit is very expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back