Audio-GD Compass HDAM?
Dec 10, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehe ok, point taken. yet, the new burson doesn't come from A-GD, and sounds miles better than Earth...this I can attest, I've compared all those chips w/ my own ears on many occasions. Earth was utterly distorted in comparison to the new Burson, It's time Kingwa makes an Earth V2 if he wants to stay in the competition
smily_headphones1.gif

well, the graphs look severely messed up for Moon...don't you think? the xtalk goes up the roof in the low end, and so does the dynamic range...it might be lower than audibility level, but it's not normal to have such messed up V-Shaped graphs. I understand it's said to have a tubey-sound, but all it did for me was sounding like a cheap AM car stereo.

Pretty much all the companies get their stuff made in China these days, we all know the reasons
wink.gif

The crosstalk explains the tonal changes, since it seems to match where they are. What would be interesting in the RMAA results is if the Burson were included.

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, the other day you said that the A-GD modules are the best evah and now you say they are crap.

yep, new toy syndrom my friend! Earth is AMAZING when you first roll it...then when you roll it w/ the new burson, it becomes unbearable and distorted.

each upgrade makes the previous one laughable...that's the way upgraditis goes, and they all kill your average IC anyway(LT1364 for instance).

Soon I'll be receiving my external HP amp, this will kill the $0.3 NJM4580V that's currently driving my headphones on the Prodigy HD2.

After some careful listening, you quickly realize that Sun-V2 is lacking MANY tonal nuances...just like majkel said, and tbh I really don't care what you think. If Sun-V2 works for you, all the best my friend! I had great fun trying all those chips, it's all that matters.

If pp like wasting their money on distorted sounding devices, good for them..it's just funny to see ppl upgrading their headphones cables and yet, use Audio-GD discrete opamps...maybe some day an Earth V2 will kill the burson, can't wait to hear it #_#

these days I cherish the AD797B on my soundcard anyway...everything majkel said about this chip is *true*: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/aud...-v-2-a-397691/

I want the AD797B SS/clear trebles w/ the holographic sound/bass response of the new burson, hopefully that's what the Burson HA-160 will do for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, the other day you said that the A-GD modules are the best evah and now you say they are crap. With the way you keep changing your mind I doubt anyone will take you seriously.
rolleyes.gif

Some select quotes:

@K3CT, your right and that is a common occurance with this user. His opinion is basically useless as whatever he says one day he says something totally different the next. What good is your opinion if you do not stand behind it?
rolleyes.gif

You also have to consider what he is testing these discrete opamps on and the fact that in most cases he is not giving them the power they require.
IIRC, that card would be running at about +/- 8 volts. He even admits it in another thread...
Quote:

it's also been dead obvious that all the discrete chips as final buffer give a slight stereo imbalance on my card..maybe due to the low voltage? they are said to require at least ±12V and I feed them a bare ±8.8V.

So, the obvious question is, are these discrete opamps even operating properly in his test circuit? My opinion is not even close.
Yesterday the Burson was the best things since poptarts, now today it has shortcomings and the AD797 is the best.

Dec 10, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

yep, new toy syndrom my friend! Earth is AMAZING when you first roll it...then when you roll it w/ the new burson, it becomes unbearable and distorted.

each upgrade makes the previous one laughable...that's the way upgraditis goes, and they all kill your average IC anyway(LT1364 for instance).

Soon I'll be receiving my external HP amp, this will kill the $0.3 NJM4580V that's currently driving my headphones on the Prodigy HD2.

After some careful listening, you quickly realize that Sun-V2 is lacking MANY tonal nuances...just like majkel said, and tbh I really don't care what you think. If Sun-V2 works for you, all the best my friend! I had great fun trying all those chips, it's all that matters.

If pp like wasting their money on distorted sounding devices, good for them..it's just funny to see ppl upgrading their headphones cables and yet, use Audio-GD discrete opamps...maybe some day an Earth V2 will kill the burson, can't wait to hear it #_#

these days I cherish the AD797B on my soundcard anyway...everything majkel said about this chip is *true*: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/aud...-v-2-a-397691/

I want the AD797B SS/clear trebles w/ the holographic sound/bass response of the new burson, hopefully that's what the Burson HA-160 will do for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Hello,
how is my, your burson doing? Very funny how things can change not? All discrete opamps have very much more distortion as ICs, thats a fact. But it looks like this is the sound our ear does like)

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by GWorlDofSPACE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,
how is my, your burson doing? Very funny how things can change not? All discrete opamps have very much more distortion as ICs, thats a fact. But it looks like this is the sound our ear does like)

it sounds great, thanks again!
regular_smile .gif

but after careful listening of all the top chips(way past the "new toy OMG" first days): AD797B/Burson/LT1363/LT1124/LT1028ACN8/OPA Sun V2/LT1211, you start wanting the pros of them all altogether *w/o* the cons!
rolleyes.gif

there's no question that on speakers the new Burson would crush them all(it really is an Earth w/ a much clearer sound and much more natural SS)...but the AD797B soundstage is really amazing on headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

In very messy songs, the burson was able to turn some background instruments into "holographic" elements, they seemed to be glowing in some sort of 3D SS...AD797B clearly cannot do that
frown.gif

the AD797B strength is -as majkel said- that the SS is versatile to DEATH, and totally uncolored...it can change shape in the blink of an eye, like nothing I had ever heard before
eek.gif

reason why I'll keep the 4*AD797BN on my soundcard and feed it to the HA-160 Burson headamp(that uses 2 discrete new bursons on a stabilized PSU)...hopefully this will be the killer combo, as currently my headphones are driven by a NJM4580V...which is very beefy, but still a major bottleneck I think.

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #38 of 47
You forgot to say in your opinion and you seem to be contradicting what you have said yet again:

Quote:

the burson tries to embelish things(sometimes it really does!)

Quote:

I very often discover new SS shapes the burson was simply masking/coloring to death :gnasher:

So the Burson, just kills everything?!!

According to you it is trying to embelish things and masking/coloring to death.

Maybe you should get your opinion straight and then post.

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #39 of 47
BTW, the new burson opamp was discussed on this french board: homecinema-be.com - op amp Burson discret V2 !?

you can see that when asked about the diff. between their old(A-GD clone) and new opamp, Burson said "sonically speaking it is far better sound stage and positioning compare to the older opamp. Textures also improve noticeably"

I can only agree w/ all that(it's exactly what I noticed!), and the guys on that board also seem to agree
happy_face1.gif

I think my decoupling Mundorf cap between V-/V+ is too strong(1uf), I will swap it for a 0.1uf..even the Mundorf techsupport told me that 1uf might possibly blur things up, 0.1uf should be just fine to kill some of the noise from the computer SMPS and not cripple the sound.

anyway for me the sweet spot is definitely AD797B on the DAC output and burson to allow it to blossom even further...but my souncard is based on an ATX SMPS and only feeds ±8.8V to the opamps, I'm pretty sure a much higher voltage on a stabilized PSU will rock in the HA-160(that runs two discrete opamps)
smily_headphones1.gif

LT1363 is also nice as final buffer, not nearly as 3D'ish as the new burson, and much more colored...as majkel would say, it only sings one song but it's a nice one, very high PRaT. I will also try AD8597, only heard good things about this one
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

BTW, the new burson opamp was discussed on this french board: homecinema-be.com - op amp Burson discret V2 !?

you can see that when asked about the diff. between their old(A-GD clone) and new opamp, Burson said "sonically speaking it is far better sound stage and positioning compare to the older opamp. Textures also improve noticeably"

I can only agree w/ all that(it's exactly what I noticed!), and the guys on that board also seem to agree
happy_face1.gif

I think my decoupling Mundorf cap between V-/V+ is too strong(1uf), I will swap it for a 0.1uf..even the Mundorf techsupport told me that 1uf might possibly blur things up, 0.1uf should be just fine to kill some of the noise from the computer SMPS and not cripple the sound.

anyway for me the sweet spot is definitely AD797B on the DAC output and burson to allow it to blossom even further...but my souncard is based on an ATX SMPS and only feeds ±8.8V to the opamps, I'm pretty sure a much higher voltage on a stabilized PSU will rock in the HA-160(that runs two discrete opamps)
smily_headphones1.gif

LT1363 is also nice as final buffer, not nearly as 3D'ish as the new burson, and much more colored...as majkel would say, it only sings one song but it's a nice one, very high PRaT. I will also try AD8597, only heard good things about this one
evil_smiley.gif

You want to replace it whit 0.1uf! If you want I have 3x0.1uF M-cap MKP))

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #41 of 47
hi GWorld, yes I think your 1uf cap was WAY overkill for my soundcard(it feeds ±8.8V to the op-amps, not ±12V like your STX)...even 0.1uf kills the low end bass extension, I will ditch the cap in a few...I will leave them on the AD797B DAC output though, but I'm not keeping it on the final Burson buffer.

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #43 of 47
I currently run 0.1uf mundorf's at the back of the card(I did remove the 1uf cap from your assembly
wink.gif
):

far more bass percussion but far less low end bass extension..OTOH sound is cleaner and clearer
smily_headphones1.gif

I will ditch the final buffer's in a few mins
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #44 of 47
Its nice to match it whit white backside) But I forgot, the Vishay MKP1837 are the best
for bypassing all sorts of caps. So you could bypass the Mcaps. I read an review they make miracles. I will not make an ad but I will use it whit my new DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back