Audio GD C2C
Oct 27, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #541 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by FauDrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, they will be exclusive with each other - throught this (half) ACSS connectors.

But you will still have a pair of RCA outputs from 19mk3 and RCA or XLR inputs on C-2C for different amp/DAC connectivity.

Sweet - just what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #542 of 657
It seems that if I do get ACSS, then other inputs will not work according to Kingwa's response. Going the ACSS route will render the C2C useless as a standalone unit:

The DAC19MK3 not need more change can output ACSS, they are design on the PCB.
But the C2C not design the ACSS on the PCB, so need more change, and cancel the other input.

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #543 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by zmatrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that if I do get ACSS, then other inputs will not work according to Kingwa's response. Going the ACSS route will render the C2C useless as a standalone unit:

The DAC19MK3 not need more change can output ACSS, they are design on the PCB.
But the C2C not design the ACSS on the PCB, so need more change, and cancel the other input.

Ask for clarification on that. Sometimes the language barrier raises more questions than it answers.

Peete.

Oct 27, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #544 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ask for clarification on that. Sometimes the language barrier raises more questions than it answers.

Peete.

Ok so I asked and he came back with:

I just find the way can keep XLR and RCA input but add the ACSS input, but need a switch on rear, and around 15 days for order.

It seems like if I order this, I would be the first one...not sure if that is a good or bad thing lol...

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #545 of 657
Nice custom zmatrix! Bearing in mind though that my unit is being delayed because of 1 extra coax, so you might want to keep a tab on the date or something. If mine is delayed by 20+ days, yours can get delayed by over a month, in theory. Not sure how to deal with it myself, does anybody know? (culturally or by experience)

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #546 of 657
This is how audio-gd works I think. It is not like your typical order and ship in a week ordeal. I think they get your order then test it for 100 hours or so then ship it when they have the time depending on how busy they are, if there is any holidays ahead, and when do they usually ship large quatities of stuff on a particular date. If you add stuff to your equipment like ACSS input not stated in their product features it will probably take more time if they don't have the components at hand, but I think its well worth it. I like my C2C very much.

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #547 of 657
Yeah, I think a considerable waiting time is to be expected, but I just wasn't sure what is considered a delay and how to deal with it from customer's end. That varies from country to country, culture to culture depending on consumer habits and social dynamics. It's no good if they take it as offensive or rush them into sending something half baked. Mine was supposed to get shipped around 15th, quoting the mod as the cause. The delay itself doesn't bother me that much to be honest, but "not knowing" is scarier.

Anyway. Mine got shipped today, so the re-quoted date seems to have gone well.

Oct 28, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #548 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by bryanbhu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I think a considerable waiting time is to be expected, but I just wasn't sure what is considered a delay and how to deal with it from customer's end. That varies from country to country, culture to culture depending on consumer habits and social dynamics. It's no good if they take it as offensive or rush them into sending something half baked. Mine was supposed to get shipped around 15th, quoting the mod as the cause. The delay itself doesn't bother me that much to be honest, but "not knowing" is scarier.

Anyway. Mine got shipped today, so the re-quoted date seems to have gone well.

You might want to reconfirm the order and ship date. Changes from the norm have caused the ball to get dropped on occasion.

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #549 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by lag0a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is how audio-gd works I think. It is not like your typical order and ship in a week ordeal. I think they get your order then test it for 100 hours or so then ship it when they have the time depending on how busy they are, if there is any holidays ahead, and when do they usually ship large quatities of stuff on a particular date. If you add stuff to your equipment like ACSS input not stated in their product features it will probably take more time if they don't have the components at hand, but I think its well worth it. I like my C2C very much.

Yeah I spoke to KingWa yesterday just to confirm some details. He did say that he has to make it from scratch. My order goes in today. Hopefully there won't be any delays past the 15 days he quoted. I can't wait
jecklinsmile.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #550 of 657
I recieved my preowned C-2C yesterday. Originally when I emailed Kingwa for pricing he said there was used unit available in the US that was taken back from a customer that thought the volume output was not adequate. It turns out that this unit previously belonged to 'Jodet' (I was told). I thought I would post my initial impressions:

My current source is a Slim Devices Squeezebox via analog outs into the C-2C and glass optical into a Pioneer Elite SC-25 reciever. My headphones are the AKG K701s. The reason for purchasing the C-2C was that I felt that the headphone output of the Pioneer was inadequate to drive the K701s properly (lack of bass, etc..).

Let's start with the attenuator. While I agree that it doesn't have the most solid feel of a quality attenuator it doesn't feel quite as bad as I was expecting from reading the forum. There is a fairly solid 'thunk' between steps but there is also a bit of play within each step that makes it feel somehow cheap compared to other attenuators I have used in the past. There is also a scratchy sound emitted thru the headphones when changing between steps. Once you are within the step then it's ok but the transition sounds like a scratchy dried out potentiometer.

The sound quality of the C-2C is excellent! It is quick and dynamic with excellent transparency. Mids and highs are very clean with the highs being a bit on the subtle side (a good thing). Although it doesn't solve my 'lack of bass' issue with the K701s it does offer deeper bass than the Pioneer. I also hear texture in the bass notes that was MIA before. Apparently there is little hope in getting mid-bass (kick drums, etc.) out of the K701s and I will more than likely sell them off despite my plans to upgrade the source next. The volume knob on the C-2C is in the 3 o'clock position and I use the Squeezebox's built-in digital attenuation for the final 20% of the volume range for normal listening. I know that I am reducing resolution with this method but it is so convenient from across the room.
L3000.gif
The chassis build quality is excellent for the price and is quite larger than I thought it would be. I have absolutely no regrets purchasing this amp and I believe it to be a tremendous bargain for the retail price (and even a better bargain for what I got it for!)
icon10.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #551 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by RatFarm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recieved my preowned C-2C yesterday. Originally when I emailed Kingwa for pricing he said there was used unit available in the US that was taken back from a customer that thought the volume output was not adequate. It turns out that this unit previously belonged to 'Jodet' (I was told). I thought I would post my initial impressions:

My current source is a Slim Devices Squeezebox via analog outs into the C-2C and glass optical into a Pioneer Elite SC-25 reciever. My headphones are the AKG K701s. The reason for purchasing the C-2C was that I felt that the headphone output of the Pioneer was inadequate to drive the K701s properly (lack of bass, etc..).

Let's start with the attenuator. While I agree that it doesn't have the most solid feel of a quality attenuator it doesn't feel quite as bad as I was expecting from reading the forum. There is a fairly solid 'thunk' between steps but there is also a bit of play within each step that makes it feel somehow cheap compared to other attenuators I have used in the past. There is also a scratchy sound emitted thru the headphones when changing between steps. Once you are within the step then it's ok but the transition sounds like a scratchy dried out potentiometer.

The sound quality of the C-2C is excellent! It is quick and dynamic with excellent transparency. Mids and highs are very clean with the highs being a bit on the subtle side (a good thing). Although it doesn't solve my 'lack of bass' issue with the K701s it does offer deeper bass than the Pioneer. I also hear texture in the bass notes that was MIA before. Apparently there is little hope in getting mid-bass (kick drums, etc.) out of the K701s and I will more than likely sell them off despite my plans to upgrade the source next. The volume knob on the C-2C is in the 3 o'clock position and I use the Squeezebox's built-in digital attenuation for the final 20% of the volume range for normal listening. I know that I am reducing resolution with this method but it is so convenient from across the room.
L3000.gif
The chassis build quality is excellent for the price and is quite larger than I thought it would be. I have absolutely no regrets purchasing this amp and I believe it to be a tremendous bargain for the retail price (and even a better bargain for what I got it for!)
icon10.gif

Thanks for the impressions. I just ordered a PH100 to test against the C-2C, for what is reported to be the warmer and richer sound of the Shanling. Perhaps that will be at the expense of some detail, but we'll see. I just mention it because supposedly the PH100 pairs very well with the K701s, so I wouldn't give up on those headphones yet if you really like them. It might just be that the clarity and neutrality of the C-2C isn't a good match for them (based on what I've been hearing, I would tend to want to match the C-2C with Senns, like the HD600), or that another source would help. I'm looking at the MF V-Dac to pair with it, but currently those seem to be out of stock everywhere.

I listen to C-2C around 12-3 o'clock, too (non-attenuator version), using the computer source as a volume control. For some reason I find it sounds better that way than cranked at the source and with the C-2C set lower, like 9-12, as counterintuitive as that might be. Well, whatever works!
beyersmile.png
It is a very clear and detailed amp, and very smooth, too. I'd be interested to hear how the soundstage is on the 701s, because that's really another strong point of the C-2C I think.

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #552 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the impressions. I just ordered a PH100 to test against the C-2C, for what is reported to be the warmer and richer sound of the Shanling. Perhaps that will be at the expense of some detail, but we'll see. I just mention it because supposedly the PH100 pairs very well with the K701s, so I wouldn't give up on those headphones yet if you really like them. It might just be that the clarity and neutrality of the C-2C isn't a good match for them (based on what I've been hearing, I would tend to want to match the C-2C with Senns, like the HD600), or that another source would help. I'm looking at the MF V-Dac to pair with it, but currently those seem to be out of stock everywhere.

I listen to C-2C around 12-3 o'clock, too (non-attenuator version), using the computer source as a volume control. For some reason I find it sounds better that way than cranked at the source and with the C-2C set lower, like 9-12, as counterintuitive as that might be. Well, whatever works!
beyersmile.png
It is a very clear and detailed amp, and very smooth, too. I'd be interested to hear how the soundstage is on the 701s, because that's really another strong point of the C-2C I think.

From what I read I bet the PH100 is an excellent match. I'm trying to avoid finding components that specifically complement the K701s compensating for their natural bass shyness as I may want a more neutral component down the road with different headphones. The funny thing is that I get more enjoyment listening to my IPod Classic 120GB with a pair of Senn PX100s than I do from the K701s!
regular_smile .gif
Of course the PX100s don't match the K701s for soundstaging and details but the lack of bass punch with the K701s kills my enjoyment every time I listen. The C-2C is a definate step in the right direction for rejuvinating some of the missing bass but as great as it is it is not enough. BTW: Soundstaging with the C-2C is equally impressive and is definately limited by my source.

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #553 of 657
Quote:

From what I read I bet the PH100 is an excellent match. I'm trying to avoid finding components that specifically complement the K701s compensating for their natural bass shyness as I may want a more neutral component down the road with different headphones. The funny thing is that I get more enjoyment listening to my IPod Classic 120GB with a pair of Senn PX100s than I do from the K701s!
regular_smile .gif
Of course the PX100s don't match the K701s for soundstaging and details but the lack of bass punch with the K701s kills my enjoyment every time I listen. The C-2C is a definate step in the right direction for rejuvinating some of the missing bass but as great as it is it is not enough. BTW: Soundstaging with the C-2C is equally impressive and is definately limited by my source.

Sounds like you might be a good candidate for a nice pair of DT990s.
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #554 of 657
Quote:

I'm trying to avoid finding components that specifically complement the K701s compensating for their natural bass shyness as I may want a more neutral component down the road with different headphones.

I didn't have time to respond to this last night, and I don't want to derail the thread too much, but since it's come up a couple of times I wanted to say I'm not really convinced that's the best approach.

Think about it: what you're really saying is that you're trying to match your components to headphones that you don't even have yet (and might never have) instead of matching them to ones that you DO have. Just like some headphones are generally known to do better when matched with certain genres, it probably makes sense to try to match headphones to particular components, too. After all, if there's a known synergy, you might as well take advantage of it.

And in this case it's not like we're talking about astronomical differences, either - both are SS amps. The shanling also is said to do superbly well especially with low impedance phones, so if anything it might even be *more* versatile. I have to say the c-2c is *very* bright with my alessandros! So that is perhaps the entire family of grados on the side of the PH100 right there.
wink.gif
Or maybe we would be talking about the caliente with hd650s, etc. but it's the same point: might as well try to match components to get the best sound, not compromise your sound based on what you might (or might not) get "down the road."

Ultimately perhaps it depends on what your goals are. My POV now is that if I'm into a certain headphone and plan to use it for a while, I want to make sure I'm getting the best sonic match I can with the other components (within my budget
biggrin.gif
). It doesn't make sense to me to have to live with a sound I don't like as much just because later I *might* get a different set of headphones and those components *might* sound better with that amp. Because then again, they also might not.
wink.gif
So what you've really done is just compromised in both directions. Better imo to match as best as you can, and then just sell everything if you have to when you get new headphones and build the rig again from scratch.

Oct 31, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #555 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't have time to respond to this last night, and I don't want to derail the thread too much, but since it's come up a couple of times I wanted to say I'm not really convinced that's the best approach.

Think about it: what you're really saying is that you're trying to match your components to headphones that you don't even have yet (and might never have) instead of matching them to ones that you DO have. Just like some headphones are generally known to do better when matched with certain genres, it probably makes sense to try to match headphones to particular components, too. After all, if there's a known synergy, you might as well take advantage of it.

And in this case it's not like we're talking about astronomical differences, either - both are SS amps. The shanling also is said to do superbly well especially with low impedance phones, so if anything it might even be *more* versatile. I have to say the c-2c is *very* bright with my alessandros! So that is perhaps the entire family of grados on the side of the PH100 right there.
wink.gif
Or maybe we would be talking about the caliente with hd650s, etc. but it's the same point: might as well try to match components to get the best sound, not compromise your sound based on what you might (or might not) get "down the road."

Ultimately perhaps it depends on what your goals are. My POV now is that if I'm into a certain headphone and plan to use it for a while, I want to make sure I'm getting the best sonic match I can with the other components (within my budget
biggrin.gif
). It doesn't make sense to me to have to live with a sound I don't like as much just because later I *might* get a different set of headphones and those components *might* sound better with that amp. Because then again, they also might not.
wink.gif
So what you've really done is just compromised in both directions. Better imo to match as best as you can, and then just sell everything if you have to when you get new headphones and build the rig again from scratch.

You do have a good point my friend. I guess I am leary of 'chasing' the sound I'm after with the K701s with equipment I might not otherwise have purchased. They are steller phones in every other way. Since I have the wonderful C-2C I wrapped the K701s in a towel and stuffed it in a cabinet while playing Patricia Barber's 'Company' on repeat at fairly loud level. Maybe now that I have an amp with substantial power I can try and break in the K701s further. I will take your suggestion and try a DAC or other source component next that is known to be on the warm side of the spectrum before giving up on the K701s.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back