Audio GD C2C
Oct 23, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #511 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my C-2C today - I have to say I have mixed feelings about it.

It's not a *bad* sounding amp, it has a lot of clarity, but I guess I am a little disappointed with it overall. It's a lot less dynamic than I was expecting, and almost thin sounding in comparison to the Jade. I would say in fact that the Jade easily beats it in every single way except perhaps width of soundstage. The C-2C is a little wider while the Jade is more "rounded," full and rich. Otherwise, no contest. Not to mention the Jade has a mini jack input along with the RCA inputs, two output stages, and a variable gain switch. The Jade is clearly the price/performance winner here.

Believe it or not, I actually find the C-2C only a slight improvement over my hotaudio portable amp, totally srs. I've been A/Bing for hours and as much as I fight against it, I keep coming to the same conclusions. The top end of the C2C is definitely better -- smoother, less sibilance, and there is better separation throughout. But the hotaudio has more bass and midbass, a better, more sparkly midrange, and even more power. It just sounds overall punchier, warmer and more lively. I'm actually constantly amazed at how good that little amp sounds.

I'm planning to upgrade my DAC, looking at a few including the Dacmagic, the valab, the keces 151 and a couple others, but even with the gear I have now the Jade is the clear winner, with the C-2C and RM-1 tied, each with different strengths and weaknesses. I'm glad I didn't get the compass - if the RM-1 is this close to the C-2C, I can only imagine it bests the compass easily. And based on what I've read about compass vs. C2C, I'd think the Jade would completely blow the compass out of the water.

Sorry to step on anyone's toes - I can only be honest about what I hear. I doubt it's 'break in' issues, as I bought the c2c used from the forum. But we'll see, maybe it still needs some more hours.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds to me that you prefer the tube sound as opposed to the solid state one.

For me there is no going back to the tubes after hearing a ß22 though.
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #512 of 657
Userlander,

The Jade looks like a nice amp for the price. Which output do you prefer, the more 'tube-like' or other other one?

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #513 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think upgrading your DAC would show a difference. However, I would say that it's that you like the sound of a warm tube amp vs. a solid state one.

I think you're right. I'm holding off final judgment until I've upgraded my dac and lived with the amp for a while.

On more listening last night, it's clear that the C-2C is an amazingly clear and transparent amp. It's hard to describe, but it seems like it's neutral not only throughout the frequency range, but also in the attack/decay. That makes it seem incredibly smooth. So because of that I guess it doesn't "bloom" like a tube amp or warmer SS amp, making it seem a little thin at first in comparison.

I have a feeling when my new dac gets here it's going to be a hard choice between the Jade and the C-2C.
biggrin.gif
I think (for my tastes) the Jade would probably end up sounding better with 250ohm beyers, while the C-2C would probably do better with the 600 ohm because of the smoother highs. But it's going to take some experimentation.
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #514 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds to me that you prefer the tube sound as opposed to the solid state one.

For me there is no going back to the tubes after hearing a ß22 though.
biggrin.gif

really?
smily_headphones1.gif
Is that because the B22 is very tube-like, or because it's like an ultimate SS sound?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatFarm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Userlander,

The Jade looks like a nice amp for the price. Which output do you prefer, the more 'tube-like' or other other one?

I can't believe the price these Jades are going for. A really nice amp for even a hundred or so more, imho.

I prefer the left output, which I think is supposedly the less "tube-like" more SS output, strangely enough. I don't like things super warm, and like a lot of detail, but I don't like it too sterile, either. That left output seems to hit it just right.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #515 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think upgrading your DAC would show a difference. However, I would say that it's that you like the sound of a warm tube amp vs. a solid state one.

I agree. I think the C2C is a good amp. But it is not a tube amp, and there are things tube amps do differently. The Jade is a very nice amp, as well. So you probably prefer it - no harm there.

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #516 of 657
Quote:

really?
smily_headphones1.gif
Is that because the B22 is very tube-like, or because it's like an ultimate SS sound?

It's the latter: powerful, dynamic and authoritative.

Nothing wrong with tube amps though it just happens that I prefer SS sound for now, similar with you and the tube sound.

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #517 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. I think the C2C is a good amp. But it is not a tube amp, and there are things tube amps do differently. The Jade is a very nice amp, as well. So you probably prefer it - no harm there.

Probably, and I also think the 600ohm beyers would pair better with it, too, because of the supposedly better low end and smoother highs of the 600 ohm (but you would know about that better than me
wink.gif
). And don't forget the TPA6120a2 in the RM-1 is a *very* good chip. Such a great midrange and sparkly warm sound. My Alessandros sing with that little portable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #518 of 657
Quote:

I got my C-2C today - I have to say I have mixed feelings about it.

It's not a *bad* sounding amp, it has a lot of clarity, but I guess I am a little disappointed with it overall. It's a lot less dynamic than I was expecting, and almost thin sounding in comparison to the Jade. I would say in fact that the Jade easily beats it in every single way except perhaps width of soundstage. The C-2C is a little wider while the Jade is more "rounded," full and rich. Otherwise, no contest. Not to mention the Jade has a mini jack input along with the RCA inputs, two output stages, and a variable gain switch. The Jade is clearly the price/performance winner here.

Believe it or not, I actually find the C-2C only a slight improvement over my hotaudio portable amp, totally srs. I've been A/Bing for hours and as much as I fight against it, I keep coming to the same conclusions. The top end of the C2C is definitely better -- smoother, less sibilance, and there is better separation throughout. But the hotaudio has more bass and midbass, a better, more sparkly midrange, and even more power. It just sounds overall punchier, warmer and more lively. I'm actually constantly amazed at how good that little amp sounds.

I'm planning to upgrade my DAC, looking at a few including the Dacmagic, the valab, the keces 151 and a couple others, but even with the gear I have now the Jade is the clear winner, with the C-2C and RM-1 tied, each with different strengths and weaknesses. I'm glad I didn't get the compass - if the RM-1 is this close to the C-2C, I can only imagine it bests the compass easily. And based on what I've read about compass vs. C2C, I'd think the Jade would completely blow the compass out of the water.

Sorry to step on anyone's toes - I can only be honest about what I hear. I doubt it's 'break in' issues, as I bought the c2c used from the forum. But we'll see, maybe it still needs some more hours.
smily_headphones1.gif

Interesting!! I finally made a post. no, I've lurked here forever and have gathered all kinds of info. This post stands out because the C2C is on my short list. My new short list. I've tried all kinds of the cheaper chinese made amps, little dots,zero ect... And have found them all lacking up against my headphone out of my Mac. Yeah I feel my Com put's out a better sound then most amps in the $300 or lower range. But I do want to use my Com as my source, Dacmagic as my Dac. So I was looking at the C2C or the Keces Ha-171. I wanna spend around $400 or so and be done with it.. It hasn't happened yet but from all the hype I thought the C2C was the clear winner.
But recently some of the reviews have been getting worse. Pot problems, leds not working, even a doa machine. It' seems to me maybe Audio-Gd might be overworked and the product is slipping? OR! Audio-Gd is a victim of the FOTM that's just lasted alot longer?
I don't know but it seems I might be looking for a few other products. I don't want to go down the road of trying to find a better product once again only to find out it's really lacking. $400, S.S no tubes... anymore help???

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #519 of 657
Quote:

But like I said, this isn't new. I bought it from a forumite who had it for at least a few months. Maybe he hardly used it, but I don't think so. I think he said he liked it so much he was upgrading to the phoenix. So I think it is fairly broken in by now.

I know; my C-2C was burned-in daily for two weeks when I got my AD2000 used, and still further burn-in made a difference. Same with my Zero, which I'd had for months.

This is completely conjecture, but in my experience, burning-in with your gear might make a difference. No harm done, anyhow. Just a suggestion
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #520 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by SPACEACE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting!! I finally made a post. no, I've lurked here forever and have gathered all kinds of info. This post stands out because the C2C is on my short list. My new short list. I've tried all kinds of the cheaper chinese made amps, little dots,zero ect... And have found them all lacking up against my headphone out of my Mac. Yeah I feel my Com put's out a better sound then most amps in the $300 or lower range. But I do want to use my Com as my source, Dacmagic as my Dac. So I was looking at the C2C or the Keces Ha-171. I wanna spend around $400 or so and be done with it.. It hasn't happened yet but from all the hype I thought the C2C was the clear winner.
But recently some of the reviews have been getting worse. Pot problems, leds not working, even a doa machine. It' seems to me maybe Audio-Gd might be overworked and the product is slipping? OR! Audio-Gd is a victim of the FOTM that's just lasted alot longer?
I don't know but it seems I might be looking for a few other products. I don't want to go down the road of trying to find a better product once again only to find out it's really lacking. $400, S.S no tubes... anymore help???

Just to be clear, I see no QC issues on this amp at all. My main issue appears to be one of preference, meaning that I prefer a warmer sound and wasn't expecting the C-2C to be quite this neutral. And I don't have the best dac right now, either, and I have the impression that this amp is more source dependent than many in this range, especially tube amps which seem like they will generally be more forgiving.

The compass had a huge following (and probably still does) and this amp is said to be even better. So I just thought I would clarify that I think this is a good SS amp in case my initial comments came across as too "negative." If anything, it's just a testament to how good the lowly hotaudio portable amp is (and how fantastic the Jade is), not really anything negative about the C-2C in itself (other than the preference issue). okay, thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #522 of 657
Quote:

Just to be clear, I see no QC issues on this amp at all. My main issue appears to be one of preference, meaning that I prefer a warmer sound and wasn't expecting the C-2C to be quite this neutral. And I don't have the best dac right now, either, and I have the impression that this amp is more source dependent than many in this range, especially tube amps which seem like they will generally be more forgiving.

The compass had a huge following (and probably still does) and this amp is said to be even better. So I just thought I would clarify that I think this is a good SS amp in case my initial comments came across as too "negative." If anything, it's just a testament to how good the lowly hotaudio portable amp is (and how fantastic the Jade is), not really anything negative about the C-2C in itself (other than the preference issue). okay, thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sometimes it's an acclimation and taste thing. You listen to one for a while, say SS and you go to tubes and you may hear syrupy, slow, noisy, and sloppy. You may hear the SS as Accurate, quiet, detailed, and quick. Then you do it from the Tubes side to the SS, and the SS appears thin, stridant, and boring. Same thing with CANz.

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #523 of 657
I think its all about synergy with equipment. The C2C definately needs a really good 300 hours or so I say for it to sound about right. Switching from Analysis Plus Silver-Oval In RCAs to Aural Harmony XLRs expanded the soundstage a lot. I use a Twisted Pear Opus DAC that is SS combined with the C2C that is also SS, so I can understand why someone would need the warmth of a tube from a DAC or AMP. Power cables and headphone cables can also change the characteristics of the overall sound I believe. I recently added an Equi=tech Son of Q Jr. balanced power conditioner and it dropped the noise floor in a very dramatic way that now I know what people mean by a noise floor. It makes the images coming out of a lcd monitor softer to the eyes which amazed me. I usually wake up in the morning with my eyes barely able to open, power up my computer, power up my lcd monitor, and when I saw white and the brightness from the monitor my eyes would shy away from it, but now with the monitor connected to the balanced power, I can see white but its like nothing. Its like the same white color but softer without the AC noise added to it. Also the computer fans in my PC case run louder, I don't know if it's because its running more efficient due to balanced power.

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #524 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes it's an acclimation and taste thing. You listen to one for a while, say SS and you go to tubes and you may hear syrupy, slow, noisy, and sloppy. You may hear the SS as Accurate, quiet, detailed, and quick. Then you do it from the Tubes side to the SS, and the SS appears thin, stridant, and boring. Same thing with CANz.

I think this is spot on. Or looked at another way, it can be a question of whether one is listening for/hearing the relative strengths of one vs the other, as opposed to listening for/hearing the relative weaknesses.

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #525 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this is spot on. Or looked at another way, it can be a question of whether one is listening for/hearing the relative strengths of one vs the other, as opposed to listening for/hearing the relative weaknesses.

Very profound statement!
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back