Audio GD C2C
May 6, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #257 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado why don't you email the man himself (Kingwa)...you'll get the info you seek far quicker that way. He loves talking shop when he has the time to do so.

audio-gd@126.com......

Peete.

I did... and here is what he reported...

"Audio GD reduced the gain to 8/10db beginning with serial number F10903xxx."

That's 10db with RCA input, and 8db with XLR input.

That should help to increase the range of volume on the POT, so the POT isn't so sensitive to volume adjustments. The volume should now vary less as you adjust the POT - "very loud" will likely be more like 12 O'clock, than 9 O'clock - probably about 1/3 less gain / sensitivity. I don't know - does it reduce the gain logarithmically, or arithmetically? Perhaps, it should be a bit lower - ideally?

It will also likely reduce the noise from the source by reducing the SNR, as the result of the reduced gain. So... theoretically... the amp should have a more silent background.

And... finally... it could improve the balance between the channels, since POTs often are poorly balanced at low settings (say, 9 O'clock and below).

Also... BEWARE... the folks at Pacific Valve (the US distributor) report they "know nothing... nothing" about this issue.

Just be sure to get a later serial number, if you order one... and make sure the vendor "guarantees" you're getting one with the lower gain (including return shipping cost).

For others... hopefully AG will publish the resistors and values to change, if you want to reduce the gain of your amp. I'd "do it in a heartbeat," if I had one.

I might give this amp a try... if, I can find the "new" version.

May 6, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #258 of 657
Mine also shipped a few days ago. Anyone know how long it takes DHL on average to deliver to the US from China?

May 6, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #259 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That should help to increase the range of volume on the POT, so the POT isn't so sensitive to volume adjustments. The volume should now vary less as you adjust the POT - "very loud" will likely be more like 12 O'clock, than 9 O'clock - probably about 1/3 less gain / sensitivity.

It will also likely reduce the noise from the source by reducing the SNR, as the result of the reduced gain. So... theoretically... the amp should have a more silent background.

And... finally... it could improve the balance between the channels, since POTs often are poorly balanced at low settings (say, 9 O'clock and below).

Also... BEWARE... the folks at Pacific Valve (the US distributor) report they "know nothing... nothing" about this issue.

Just be sure to get a later serial number, if you order one... and make sure the vendor "guarantees" you're getting one with the lower gain (including return shipping cost).

For others... hopefully AG will publish the resistors and values to change, if you want to reduce the gain of your amp. I'd "do it in a heartbeat," if I had one.

Who was this you emailed for pm'd? doesnt sound like kingwa.

edit: i see you only quoted first line.

May 6, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #261 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who was this you emailed for pm'd? doesnt sound like kingwa.

edit: i see you only quoted first line.

It was the general AG email address: audio-gd@126.com

"Cherry" responded with the information highlighted.

But... I'm amazed that you could tell the difference between "Cherry's" response and "Kingwa's" response by only the highlighted information!

Truly amazing!

EDIT / UPDATE: Oh... I see from your edit... you didn't notice my quotes were limited to just the serial number and the gain.

The rest is just the typical effects of reducing the gain in an amp (i.e. greater range / less sensitive volume adjustment, reduced perceived noise from source, improved balance permitted by higher POT settings, etc.).

May 6, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #262 of 657
Quote:

That should help to increase the range of volume on the POT, so the POT isn't so sensitive to volume adjustments. The volume should now vary less as you adjust the POT - "very loud" will likely be more like 12 O'clock, than 9 O'clock - probably about 1/3 less gain / sensitivity. I don't know - does it reduce the gain logarithmically, or arithmetically? Perhaps, it should be a bit lower - ideally?

Ah, Um....
The folks answering the emails yesterday were not aware of this issue and I agree not very responsive. I apologize for this. We are way ahead - our units have serial #s F10903 series G

May 6, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #263 of 657
I just looked at mine and supposedly mine has lowered gain (sn1090304g)! Can't really figure this out becuase I compared with compass. Compass on high gain volume at 9 or 10 comfortable to loud. C2C 7 to 8 comfortable to loud with D7000. So I wonder how mine slipped through?

Guess Ill have to talk to Kingwa.

May 6, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #264 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic Trola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, Um....
The folks answering the emails yesterday were not aware of this issue and I agree not very responsive. I apologize for this. We are way ahead - our units have serial #s F10903 series G

Great...

... then PV is the place to buy the C-2C for US buyers - local warranty support... and... assurance you'll get the "new version" with lower gain. Or... at least... I would hope that assurance would be provided. That certainly would be a requirement for me... and... I would think, anyone.

May 6, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #265 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just looked at mine and supposedly mine has lowered gain (sn1090304g)! Can't really figure this out becuase I compared with compass. Compass on high gain volume at 9 or 10 comfortable to loud. C2C 7 to 8 comfortable to loud with D7000. So I wonder how mine slipped through?

Guess Ill have to talk to Kingwa.

Hmmn... "the plot thickens."

Please let us know "what's up with that?!?"

It is obviously inconsistent with the info that "Cherry" provided me.

I'm guessing "Cherry" may have been in error.

Or... the "g series" does not have the lower gain... or... whatever - its very confusing.

I would hope... AG... can clear this up - because, this issue "hangs over" the C-2C, until its resolved.

And... AG... really needs to provide the "how to" to modify the amp to lower the gain... or... even better... provide a free mod service through PV in the US.

May 6, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #266 of 657
Quote:

Hmmn... "the plot thickens."

Please let us know "what's up with that?!?"

It is obviously inconsistent with the info that "Cherry" provided me.

I'm guessing "Cherry" may have been in error.

Or... the "g series" does not have the lower gain... or...

I would hope... AG... can clear this up - this issue "hangs over" the C-2C, until its resolved.

And... AG... really needs to provide the "how to" to modify the amp to lower the gain... or... even better... provide a free mod service through PV in the US.

I'm sure if you ask him, he'll tell you what resisters to change.

May 6, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #267 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure if you ask him, he'll tell you what resisters to change.

Probably... but... I don't yet have a C-2C, which needs such a mod... and... I hope to avoid one that does.

I think the best way to resolve this issue is for AG, or PV, to just openly "publish" the issue and its resolution via a fairly simple solution... and...

... to openly "publish" the way to identify which amps are the "high gain" version, and which amps are the new "lower gain" version.

And... even better... to release a "new version" with easily adjustable gain from 4-10db.

May 6, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #268 of 657
Since they are made at the time of order (for the most part) and not sitting on shelves (PV maybe has a couple actually in stock...or not) the likelihood of getting an old version is unlikely...at any rate all the C2C's built as of April 26th are the latest rev AFAIK. As always you can email either PV or AGD to confirm before ordering...if you order.

Tim....lowering the gain won't change the voicing or sound signature of the amp one iota.

Peete.

May 7, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #269 of 657
Just ordered a c2c yesterday. Sick and tired of drooling
tongue_smile.gif

May 8, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #270 of 657
Mine already left the Hong Kong hub and since it's international express, it should be here either Friday or Monday. Damn that's some fast turnaround considering I ordered it last Friday
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back