Audio equipment advice.
Oct 15, 2020 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

raumyasarkar

New Head-Fier
I currently use hd599 with fiio x5iii as dac and amp I am planning on upgrading but now I can either buy a headphone dac/amp(desktop version not portable) or he400i 2020 headphones. Which one should give me noticable upgrade at this point of time. The dac/amp(probably k5pro) combo or he400i
I am from India so I am not including any budget or pricing as in Indian market price may hugely vary. As an example he400i 2020 is 15 dollars cheaper than fiio k5 pro.
I prefer more resolution and sound stage than thumping bass.

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 5
Always upgrade your speakers / headphone first. That will give the biggest change is sound and set you up later to upgrade your gear if something is off like too much distortion, too low of volume, or skipping in your music.

I own 2 pairs of the 400i's and use the 2020 version at work everyday. I've been in this hobby for almost 20 years now and can attest to the sound quality of this headphone. The measurements back this claim up as well.

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 5
Always upgrade your speakers / headphone first. That will give the biggest change is sound and set you up later to upgrade your gear if something is off like too much distortion, too low of volume, or skipping in your music.

I own 2 pairs of the 400i's and use the 2020 version at work everyday. I've been in this hobby for almost 20 years now and can attest to the sound quality of this headphone. The measurements back this claim up as well.
Thanks for the help. I will go for the 400i then with no more doubt. 😊😊

Mar 15, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 5
Upgraded from CEntrance M8:

I just got the FiiO K7 DAC/amp, and my first impressions are very good. I am an AKM fan and the K7 implementation suits my ears.

The K7 drives my LCD-XC with ease, presenting a big sound stage with good instrumentation. I read most of the reviews and agree with the assessments of the sound profile: tight and accurate bass, mids (vocals) clear and lifelike, treble is precise and offers clarity without and sibilance. Comfortable listening... no fatigue so far. Will burn the K7 in for a few days to see if anything changes.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 5
The SMSL C200 is excellent, using one right now with Moondrop Variations and Hifiman HE5xx. Plenty of power and the Topping L50/E50 is also great, along with the L30 II/E30 II. Can't go wrong with any of them if the price is right in your area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back