Audio engineers pls help
Jun 15, 2011 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Likui

Head-Fier
Hello
I want to do mixing and I intend to go overseas to study so I can't bring big gigantic monitors along with me so I decided to use a headphone or IEM to mix.
The thing is I don't know what is good for mixing. However I do have some models I have in mind like Sennheiser HD 650, AKG Q702 and rudistor sound system Chroma MD1. for IEM would be the Ultimate ears reference monitors.
The sennheiser HD 650 to me seems like the most fun headphones to listen too because it's got quite a bit of bass.
Chroma MD 1 to me has quite good soundstage. AKG Q702 and ultimate ears reference monitors I've not heard so no comments.

So what do u guys think is good for mixing? u can give me your suggestions too. I've got quite high budget but not as high as those stax headphones and sennheiser orpheus. well about $2000 USD that would be still ok for me or around there.

Thanks
Matthew

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 22
If you want to spend that much, Audez'e LCD-2 would suit you greatly.

There'ye loved here and run about $1000 if I'm not wrong.

Make sure you're running a good amp and a media player/music player/player at all that's up to reference. Check out the LCD-2 thread for help

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 22

Quote:
If you want to spend that much, Audez'e LCD-2 would suit you greatly.

There'ye loved here and run about $1000 if I'm not wrong.

Make sure you're running a good amp and a media player/music player/player at all that's up to reference. Check out the LCD-2 thread for help

I'm using the LCD's to mix with these days.

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
What are you mixing?  What kind of gear?  DAW?  I'm just curious.

I mixing my songs, instrumental rock songs, I use the guitar to plug into the audio interface native instruments audio kontrol 1, use pluggins like guitar rig 4 pro and eastwest ministry of rock. Cubase studio 5 is my DAW.
I use AMT SS 20 for my guitar preamp, core X2 instrument cables and bullet coil cables for my cables depending on what sound I need, I use Ibanez RG 350Mz guitar

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 22

Quote:

I mixing my songs, instrumental rock songs, I use the guitar to plug into the audio interface native instruments audio kontrol 1, use pluggins like guitar rig 4 pro and eastwest ministry of rock. Cubase studio 5 is my DAW.
I use AMT SS 20 for my guitar preamp, core X2 instrument cables and bullet coil cables for my cables depending on what sound I need, I use Ibanez RG 350Mz guitar

Nice.  I'm software synths myself inside the Mac. Garageband or logic.

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
Nice.  I'm software synths myself inside the Mac. Garageband or logic.

ohh I see, I kind of prefer the windows interface though, yea I use a synth software too, native instruments FM8. You have any cool pluggins to recommend, for guitar or drums? I'm thinking of getting steven slate drums. Their kick and snare sounds killer.

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #9 of 22

Quote:

I use the kontrol 1 and the Apogee mini DAC with the K-702 . Here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/393139/k702-in-the-studio

Jun 20, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #10 of 22
ok I guess audeze lcd 2 is damn good. I've heard it myself today and yes i gave that one pass for mixing. Now what amp should i use. I tried on the beyerdynamics A1 amp that one pass very nice amp at least to me, but it's too expansive for me I can't afford both the headphones and the amp. I'm thinking is there any cheaper ones like around $500 singapore dollars that sounds reasonably ok. My friend recommend me matrix M stage but I can't find any of them in singapore. what do you guys think? is there any amp that can go well if it?. Is the Matrix M stage ok for the audeze headphone?

Jul 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #14 of 22
the schiit lyr is really good however it's quite noisy, there quite loud hissing sound compared to other amps, however when I play the music it kind of mask out the hissing sound, but is there any amps like the characteristic of the schiit lyr, which can give that warmth and bass and increase soundstage but without the hissing sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back