Audio conversion of FLAC & ALAC files
Oct 20, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #61 of 88
  Alchemist, 

Well you would know more about it than me! lol 

I guess I just assumed they were using the best quality car speakers out there? I dunno. If what you said about Focal is true, than I guess H/K isn't the only one in that boat. 

Six figure speakers?!!!! lol 
basshead.gif

They had I think the P3 or P5 B&W headphones at my BB. I may go back and check again later today cuz I have to go that way anyway. What's funny is before I found out about Hi-Res FLACs recently I didn't even care about headphones at all. lol 

Well he def got rich lol......... that article made that clear. He was an engineer and businessman too apparently. Sounds like a smart guy. Maybe they thought they'd make more money selling the "cheaper" headphones vs four-figure+ headphones? lol

RockStar2005

I've done a lot of research on speakers, but not even 5% as much as headphones.

Speaking of Bowers & Wilkins, see if you can get all the inside jokes in this post!

An exception to the rule. Just making a point.

Yeah, high-end headphones are a niche market. While some audio companies have unfairly large profit margins, others barely break even with their high-end offerings, simply because they cost so much to make.

Volkswagen intentionally lose over six million dollars on every Bugatti Veyron they sell. I guess that's the cost of calling yourself the best! XD

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #62 of 88
  Volkswagen intentionally lose over six million dollars on every Bugatti Veyron they sell. I guess that's the cost of calling yourself the best! XD

I would assume there is more to VW losing six million on every Bugatti Veyron they sell, then what is officially said.
I would make a guess the accounting is setup in a way so VW can get a tax right off.
Like VW way over charges Bugatti for the parts VW sells to Bugatti, so all the profit is kept in Germany, because taxes are way too high in France (where Bugatti is located).

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #64 of 88
  I would assume there is more to VW losing six million on every Bugatti Veyron they sell, then what is officially said.
I would make a guess the accounting is setup in a way so VW can get a tax right off.
Like VW way over charges Bugatti for the parts VW sells to Bugatti, so all the profit is kept in Germany, because taxes are way too high in France (where Bugatti is located).

Such speculation may be true, but I haven't heard anything about it. All the links I've seen tell a more straightforward story.

Volkswagen knew this would be the case, but perhaps as a testament to Ferdinand Piëch's mad genius, they did it anyway in order to burnish the brand.

You'll have to explain those jokes to me. Only sort of got a few. lol

Orpheus = Sennheiser Orpheus electrostatic headphone system with HE 90 headphones + HEV 90 amplifier

Mad Dog, Alpha Dog, and Alpha Prime = MrSpeakers planar magnetic headphones

Siltech = Siltech cables

Odin = Nordost Odin cables

Absolute Dream = Crystal Cable Absolute Dream cables

Qualia = Sony Qualia dynamic headphones

Momentum = Sennheiser Momentum dynamic headphones

Colorfly = Colorfly portable DAP (digital audio player)

Muramasa = Final Audio Design MURAMASA VIII dynamic headphones

Stillpoints = Stillpoints vibration/resonance control products

V-MODA = V-MODA dynamic headphones

Astell and Kern = Astell&Kern DAPs

Bowser and Stiltzkin = Bowers & Wilkins, with additional references to Bowser from the Super Mario video game franchise, stilts as the long legs of the granddaddy longlegs, and Stiltzkin, a Final Fantasy character.

The stacked farm animals are referred to as STAX for obvious reasons. STAX invented electrostatic headphones in 1959.

Axent = Axent Wear dynamic headphones, because they look like cat ears.

Float = QUAD Musikwiedergabe Jecklin Float electrostatic headphones

Abyss = Abyss Headphones AB-1266 planar magnetic headphones

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #66 of 88
So what was this about? The mice he is to dine on shall be named Sennheiser XXX, after all the "inferior" models. lol 

Isn't it obvious? Most of the Sennheiser headphones are called HD XXX. Three numbers.

The Orpheus was a limited production model to showcase what the company was capable of. It retailed at $12,900 in the early '90s and only around 300 units were made.

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #67 of 88
No I got that lol, but what's that about them "inferior"? Do the quotes mean they're being sarcastic like they're NOT inferior or that they are? I'm guessing that they're NOT but just wanna make sure. lol

Oh ok. Wow...... crazy! 

Thanks, 

RockStar2005

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #71 of 88
  Such speculation may be true, but I haven't heard anything about it. All the links I've seen tell a more straightforward story.

I'm guessing VW/Bugatti figured if they tell people that BugattI lose 6 million dollars per car, it will make the Veyron sound more valuable (well worth its multi-million dollar price)
I'm guessing it was VW/Bugatti's marketing department that come up with the statement they "lose 6 million per car", not the VW/Bugatti accounting department.

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #72 of 88
No lol but I mean I wouldn't call something "inferior" unless it didn't perform well or was absolute crap. I don't think a pair of headphones that got a 4 1/2 out of 5 stars on this very site should belong in the same sentence as the word inferior. lol Call me crazy. 
L3000.gif

Come on man....... even you said at some point you're dealing with diminishing returns as you go up the price scale. Like with Beats.......... they're not rated as high as my 598s are on here (only like 3 stars), but they cost more. A lot of ppl say they sound really good though. I tried a couple pairs out Sat night and I was impressed, but it was very brief so I couldn't really judge them seriously. Point is, and again to quote you, just b/c something costs more doesn't mean it's always better. Are the $60k ones better than my 598s? Most likely yes, but are they really $59,000 better? lol Beats cost more than my 598s, but it's well-known that you're also paying for the name, which thanks to Dr. Dre and Apple, is very popular these days. 

RockStar2005

Oct 20, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #73 of 88
  No lol but I mean I wouldn't call something "inferior" unless it didn't perform well or was absolute crap. I don't think a pair of headphones that got a 4 1/2 out of 5 stars on this very site should belong in the same sentence as the word inferior. lol Call me crazy. 
L3000.gif

Come on man....... even you said at some point you're dealing with diminishing returns as you go up the price scale. Like with Beats.......... they're not rated as high as my 598s are on here (only like 3 stars), but they cost more. A lot of ppl say they sound really good though. I tried a couple pairs out Sat night and I was impressed, but it was very brief so I couldn't really judge them seriously. Point is, and again to quote you, just b/c something costs more doesn't mean it's always better. Are the $60k ones better than my 598s? Most likely yes, but are they really $59,000 better? lol Beats cost more than my 598s, but it's well-known that you're also paying for the name, which thanks to Dr. Dre and Apple, is very popular these days. 

Everything is relative. "Not as good as something better" is all that inferior means.

The only reason the Orpheus demands a premium is due to its rarity. It's obviously not worth that much. Plenty of people prefer much more affordable headphones over it. In the end, the sound is all that matters, and you'll have to determine which sound signature(s) you like more than others and what your price/performance ratio limit is.

Abyss Headphones AB-1266
AKG K812
Audeze LCD-3
Audeze LCD-X
Fostex TH-900
HiFiMAN HE-6
Sennheiser HD 800
STAX SR-007
STAX SR-009

(Just keep in mind that some of them require powerful amplification.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back