Audible Differences in Copper vs. Silver Cables?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #137 of 373
If I was still in school for Electrical engineering I would run some frequency response tests with two equal resistance silver and copper wires (by varying their length).

Theres more to life than just resistance. Capacitance and inductence play a role in the transmission of signals in a wire. The fact is, in normal length cables of normal gauge, all of these values are increadibly small compared to the other elements in the signal path. Another headfier has done some fairly well done tests on various interconnects and demonstrated that the various interconnects show no real statistical differences.

Cables should be the very last part you worry about when trying to upgrade the sonic performance of your gear.

Cheers

Edit: heres the link for the interconnect test by nick_Charles

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #139 of 373
Quote:
All I have to say is that I highly doubt that Monster Cable, KimberKable, Cardas, Analysis Plus, Sraightwire, and all those other major companies made their millions just on myths and psychoacoustics.
rolleyes.gif

[size=small]Expectation Bias accounts for most of their profit. Also blatantly false advertising claims.[/size]

[size=small]The whole "silver cables are brighter" and "copper cables are warmer" statements (neither of which can be substantiated by science in any way) are best attributed, in my opinion, to the colors of the metals themselves.[/size]

[size=small]And before someone tells me that their experience is correct and can't be contradicted, I saw the sun rise this morning- so don't go telling me about [/size]heliocentrism[size=small].[/size]

Jul 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #141 of 373
Nice read, Thanks!

Fine print: Although I'm sad that the author didn't do some example problems (or cite others who've done the example problems) to using the underlying theories to conclusively demonstrate his points. It's always nice for those with applied math, physics, or engineering backgrounds, but who may not have focused on EE topics.

Cheers!

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #142 of 373
well.... is there any point in getting any cable over another, copper or silver? the things that people claim to hear are not measurable in a normal analyzer. so, without getting into the normal cables-don't-make-a-difference arguments........ i just thought i'd say that it's pretty clear that silver is not "brighter"...... though i guess people could argue it sounds different in other non-measurable ways.

but i think this "brighter" thing is definitely a myth.

...anyway, i made a silver k1000 cable for uncledan. you might wanna pm him. pure material costs for his cable was already $200... so i assure you i only used the best. ask him his impressions.... (and ask him to post too... heh he, i wanna hear)

I guess it's all up to the listener ears and the preference of the person who uses the cable.

May 20, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #144 of 373
I like pure Silver cables. The sound is faster, has more breath, is more clearly. But this is ONLY with solid silver cables, silver plated copper sounds more stressful and not harmonic.

May 20, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #145 of 373
I like pure Silver cables. The sound is faster, has more breath, is more clearly. But this is ONLY with solid silver cables, silver plated copper sounds more stressful and not harmonic.

What do any of you adjectives have to do with audio?

Also, there are no physical mechanisms by which silver plated copper can add harmonic or nonharmonic distortion in an audio cable.

Cheers

May 20, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #146 of 373
What do any of you adjectives have to do with audio?

Also, there are no physical mechanisms by which silver plated copper can add harmonic or nonharmonic distortion in an audio cable.

Cheers

May be we don't know anything about that, but that means not that there is no hearable difference. That means only, we do not know enough.

May 20, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #147 of 373
May be we don't know anything about that, but that means not that there is no hearable difference. That means only, we do not know enough.

We know a lot. While you might be theoretically correct that there is something we dont know, the overwhelming body of scientific knowledge and emperical evidence place the burden of proof on you to demonstrate the physical mechanism by which the type of differences in cable material and construction that you speak of can lead to an audible difference.

Furthermore, the adjectives youve used to describe the difference you think you are hearing are so imprecise that they are meaningless to anybody outside of yourself. It would be much more helpful to others if you said the difference was in the treble equalization or phase distortion or something. Then we can debate whether or not that's possible or audible :)

Cheers

May 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #148 of 373
We know a lot. While you might be theoretically correct that there is something we dont know, the overwhelming body of scientific knowledge and emperical evidence place the burden of proof on you to demonstrate the physical mechanism by which the type of differences in cable material and construction that you speak of can lead to an audible difference.

Furthermore, the adjectives youve used to describe the difference you think you are hearing are so imprecise that they are meaningless to anybody outside of yourself. It would be much more helpful to others if you said the difference was in the treble equalization or phase distortion or something. Then we can debate whether or not that's possible or audible
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers

I won't discuss it, I hear it. That is enough for me.

May 20, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #150 of 373

Furthermore, the adjectives youve used to describe the difference you think you are hearing are so imprecise that they are meaningless to anybody outside of yourself. It would be much more helpful to others if you said the difference was in the treble equalization or phase distortion or something. Then we can debate whether or not that's possible or audible
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers

they are quite accurate and meaningful to me.

physical mechanism in a cable?! wow, way to go Heinstein.

cable's job is to transmit signals - that's it! what Audio Rainer was perhaps alluding is that your science bible may not covering the entire story on metal conductivity, audio signal, and everything else involved in the matter.  it's reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back