Audible Differences in Copper vs. Silver Cables?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #361 of 373
As a 100% cable-sound perceiver and advocate I'm very much tempted to chime in to this fruitless thread, example of miserable «culture of controversy», and help standing up to the ayatollahs of living fundamentalism who try to shove their rules of life down everybody's throat.

Luckily I could resist.

[oops]
blink.gif

Jun 13, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #362 of 373
JaZZ said:
 fit
  ayatollahs of living fundamentalism who try to shove their rules of life down everybody's throat...

An amusing description, but are you sure it fits?  What rules is anyone here shoving down anyone else's throat?

It seems to me we have two factions with two different ways of reading the terms "audible differences."  One camp reads these terms with an implied "personal impressions of" in front of them.  The other reads them assuming the word "demonstrable" up front.  So be it.  This forum would be a total bore if everyone agreed on everything.  

I note you were actually quite careful with your language above and referenced yourself as a cable "perceiver."  It seem to me that a statement like this, in reference to your own perceptions, doesn't actually conflict with SE's objection to factual assertions about "audible differences" between competently made cables that are of proper spec for their application.   

I also presume you guys understand from his MoT title that SE actually has a profit motive to agree with you.  He makes headphone cables!  How refreshing is it to see an industry insider that is firmly devoted to reminding people that there isn't empirical evidence supporting audible differences between cables, even when he has numerous customers floating around this forum talking about how Q cables sound better to them than stock.  Seriously, stop and think about it in the context of an industry that regularly assures us that everything from magic pebbles to cryo treatment will make "day and night" differences.

Mar 28, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #363 of 373
so can anyone tell me if it is truth than pure copper cable vs silver cable will have better bass and also if it will become darker AKA frecuencies over 16KHZ will become darker? muded? in pure copper one THANKS IN ADVANCE

Mar 29, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #364 of 373
so can anyone tell me if it is truth than pure copper cable vs silver cable will have better bass and also if it will become darker AKA frecuencies over 16KHZ will become darker? muded? in pure copper one THANKS IN ADVANCE
You need to check out OFC OCC cryo'd copper Brands like Jena Labs, Kimber Kable, WBT, Furutech. That is the good stuff. ALO also!!

Mar 29, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #366 of 373

There is no truth to that and no physical or electrical properties of an appropriately built and utilized cable that support that theory. Something as specific as “more bass” would be trivial to measure and if it existed, would be the first line in marketing materials. Yet none of the cable manufacturers publish that kind of hard data. How odd....

Apr 23, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #367 of 373
mmm i can hear audible difrences betwen cables....im sure its not plascebo i could even pass a blind test out of many cables. but im not sure of the extend of this...

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #368 of 373
mmm i can hear audible difrences betwen cables....im sure its not plascebo i could even pass a blind test out of many cables. but im not sure of the extend of this...

I finally concluded that it's better to let the people with that kind of ears to base their opinions only in measurements and be happy. Scientists are very clear when talking about the complexity and, in some aspects, unawareness of human PECEPTION. Because hearing includes tactile sensations and many, many nuances depending on anatomical features and hearing capabilities.
Another thing is that our brain sometimes fills in gaps in information on a different level for every person, just like it does with our vision. But pretending to measure the whole thing and then to preach that the results are the only truth, leaving aside that the interaction of sound with each auditory system cannot 'yet' be measured, inevitably reminds me of some quantic physics detractors in 1900s. Don't want to offend anyone, but leave some concept to think about.

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #369 of 373
i agree i have very good hearing not only that i have a highly trained ear i can detect difernces in bitrates... firmwares... and also cables... you have to really focus sometimes... but somepeople went hear that diferences nor have the time to do it... they just enjoy sound... as it is...

Aug 2, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #370 of 373
I know for an absolute fact that to my ear two cables I have sou d different. I have one copper and another silver plated copper. They are very close in construction but when using the copper cable anything past 12oclock at medium gain on a specific song clips the dynamic driver. When using the silver plated copper I can go medium gain on the same song and crank it up 100% volume with no clipping. Now that's an audible difference that I cannot explain as I do t have the technical knowhow. All I know is that tells me a cable isn't just a cable. Cables differ from one to another in an audible manner.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #371 of 373
I have an pure silver cable and tested it with my IER-M9 and IER-Z1R, but there is no difference in the sound compared to the stock cable.

At first i thought the Silver one sounds a bit darker/warmer with the IER-M9 but it sounded different every single time i swapped it anyway. Changing the cable takes too long for me to hear any difference.

But there is a famous blind test where people were told that they switched calbes and daps and whatever but in reality did nothing.

Switching from one to the exact same cable three times caused that trained audiophiles could explain exactly what the difference between those cables are, even though it was always the same cable. Then they used the cheapest and worst cable they had and increased the volume by 1 step and everyone liked that cable more than the up to 3000€ cables.

So you want to improve your cheap stock cable? Turn the volume up one step and bam it sounds better than the best cable you can get on the market.

I have not found a single blind test were anyone was able to detect difference in sounds in cables. Neither with headphones, nor with earphones or speakers, So i doubt it exists unless someone proofed it.

Dec 14, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #372 of 373
I have an pure silver cable and tested it with my IER-M9 and IER-Z1R, but there is no difference in the sound compared to the stock cable.

At first i thought the Silver one sounds a bit darker/warmer with the IER-M9 but it sounded different every single time i swapped it anyway. Changing the cable takes too long for me to hear any difference.

But there is a famous blind test where people were told that they switched calbes and daps and whatever but in reality did nothing.

Switching from one to the exact same cable three times caused that trained audiophiles could explain exactly what the difference between those cables are, even though it was always the same cable. Then they used the cheapest and worst cable they had and increased the volume by 1 step and everyone liked that cable more than the up to 3000€ cables.

So you want to improve your cheap stock cable? Turn the volume up one step and bam it sounds better than the best cable you can get on the market.

I have not found a single blind test were anyone was able to detect difference in sounds in cables. Neither with headphones, nor with earphones or speakers, So i doubt it exists unless someone proofed it.
Maybe you can't but I sure can. If you can't tell difference in sound quality from changing cables then the cables are not your bottleneck. Check your source or headphones

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #373 of 373
Maybe you can't buy I sure in the heck can. If you cannot tell difference in sound quality from changing cables then the cables are not your bottleneck. Check your source or headphones
The Source was the TA-ZH1ES and the Earphone was the IER-M9. Not much room to upgrade there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back