Audeze's new Sine DX
Oct 25, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #47 of 75
open on-ear for portable use ?
hmmm , im thinking what area does this headphone target. If its outside on the go , then lack of isolation due open design will be a problem and no matter how good the sound is - outside noise will spoil everything.

if its for Quiet environment then how does it compares with LCD series i wonder ....

i have hard to se a proper place for open back on ear headphone, maybe Office - if you want to be aware of stuff that going on around you, but still.... hmmm[/QUOTE

I know what you mean.
I personally cannot listen to over ear headphones because of an ear sensitivity towards the pressure building up die to the seal.
For me, that headphone means everything hahah
I hope @Audeze they will scale up production. I am just concerned that it's not gonna be a real on ear, but a weird mix out of on and over ear. Like, small ears fit completely inside, for large ears it's like an on ear that's slightly to large/over ear that's slightly too small. The earpads do look large for on ears @Audeze

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #48 of 75
Excellent SQ and design. Terrible comfort.

Call me when Audeze offers some extra-thick pads for these and I'll come running.

Until then....

Why do you have to wait for Audeze, especially since they don't seem interested in replacement pads? There are plenty of aftermarket pads that make it into a very comfortable over-ear; my favorites are the Brainwavz angled pads ($30) but there are plenty of other great choices too

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #49 of 75
Hey Folks,
Since the sine dx is not out in Germany yet and no one I know has listened to it so far, I am asking those of you that have for your opinion:
1) how is the soundstage on these? Comparable to a mediocre over ear open can?
2) has anyone also had the opportunity to listen to the isine 20? Regardless of being two different kind of systems,which one has the wider soundstage?
Thank you!!

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #50 of 75
I haven't heard an open Sine but I'm very familiar with the original, so I'm also curious to hear how the open back affects the sound!

I've owned both the original Sine and the iSine20. Neither of those are known for exceptional soundstage. The closed Sine was more or less average in that regard--soundstaging is maybe the only aspect of sound that dynamic drivers tend to do better than planar drivers*--so I wouldn't expect a world change in the DX.

The iSine20 soundstage is certainly better than the Sine, but it's still pretty much average to me. It isn't a particular strength, but it's not a weakness by any means either. Overall the 20 sounds a couple of notches better than the Sine IMO (even a notch better than my Hifiman HE500, surprisingly).

*-The only exception I know is the Mr. Speakers Alpha Prime. The planar AP (which is also closed-back) has a phenomenal soundstage, it actually changed the way I perceive soundstaging in any headphones. It's not as airy as an HD800, but it's no less 3-dimensional and precise. The Alpha Prime is like a K701 but with another level of detail, clarity, and accuracy :)

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #52 of 75
but then decided to release only the closed version. So we got asked about it once in a while and we decided to see if there is a market. We will see how the response is and decide how to proceed with it in future.

@Audeze Any news on the status of the open back limited production?.And whats the "reason" other than profit to price the Sine DX $150 more than the closed back?. Since you already stated that the open version was the first design the "reason" for the extra costs can't be development.

"decided to see if there is a market" This marketing rhetoric is nonsense, all the "limited" DX edition has achieved is a inflated price.In the UK the open model costs £185 more. Be genuine, sell the open and closed at the same price and then let the market decide. Far be it for manufactures to understand how to comprehend a controlled experiment, but h.t.f does selling a open limited availability model at a higher price give any indication of the interest of the unit if the closed version is significantly cheaper? ( that's rhetorical question. It doesn't.)

Apologies for not being one of the faithful consumers. I'm a critical thinker and have had enough of the BS marketing industry. Having ranted about that, I did try the Hifi Man 400's planar's a while back. sounded great though felt like having tanks on my head. Thus I was hoping a compact open back,affordable, planar would be developed.Either that of find a culture where music and peace is "valued" more than noise and inter-species competition.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #56 of 75
Yes, this is an oddly quiet thread considering the hype that once surrounded the first Sine model. I would also be very curious to know what these sound like.

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #57 of 75
Hi!

I ended up having one pair and I wonder if you've been experiencing an issue with the earpads? Do they feel stiff, as if the inside material is dry? Do you experience a noise when you rotate your head? I've had it and it is really annoying. I contacted @Audeze and One costumer service told me that it is air trapped that causes the sound and that it's normal for planars. I've had several Hifiman and now I own MrSpeakers AFO and no issues with that.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #58 of 75
Hi!

I ended up having one pair and I wonder if you've been experiencing an issue with the earpads? Do they feel stiff, as if the ? Do you experience a noise when you rotate your head? I've had it and it is really annoying. I contacted @Audeze and One costumer service told me that it is air trapped that causes the sound and that it's normal for planars. Curiosity I've had several Hifiman and now I own MrSpeakers AFO and no issues with that.
I too have the same concerns. Just Turing or head movement, you will hear sound level changes between the left and right ear. I ended out putting the isine DX away for storage . It is a Shame that I could not enjoy as much time as I intended.

Sep 24, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #59 of 75
Seems like I'm not the only one. @raysclim1568 how do you describe the issue? Do the pads feel stiff? Here's a small video to show the issue I'm describing:

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #60 of 75
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of either buying the sine or sine dx and was hoping someone who has the dx could answer me a quick question. How is the sound leackage of the dx ? Would Someone sitting next to me in a train or car hear anything when I listen at a „normal“ volume (Volume like one has during an conversation, maybe a little louder). I would be only using it for on the go.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back