Audeze's new Sine DX

Discussion in 'Sponsor Announcements and Deals' started by audeze, Apr 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mshenay Contributor
    Honestly, my first pair of REAL headphones where my DT 880s, I wore them to class and even used them in the library! Never had any complaints, I still prefer a portable open back when ever I travel, as most often I'm not listening in high traffic noisy area's [but I own a vehicle and drive my self around] 

My question though is, are you guys open to maybe organizing a US based tour? 

2. Yaroslav
    Guess EL-8 is out for good, and this is the new affordable Audeze. Good call!

Also I wonder if Bluetooth Sine is too much to ask for?

3. jurumal
    I just received my Sine DX! These are my first impressions. The headphone is beautiful. The open-grill design shows off that sexy "A". Clamping pressure is less than what I remember from the closed Sine, making the fit out-of-the-box just right (for me at least). Regarding sound, you get that wonderful Audeze house-sound, which is on the darker side but very capable of delivering great detail retrieval. These are musical headphones. I really enjoyed them paired with the AQ Dragonfly Red. The pairing brought the detail out even further. Low-end dynamics also receive a nice bump. At the moment I don't have the closed Sine to A/B, but I'm going to be receiving them within the next few days. Enjoying what I'm hearing so far!

4. musiclvr
    Long story short, I am really enjoying the Sine DX's. The Dx's do indeed sound open. I've been listening to my 24bit/192khz audio files of Melissa Menago and Amber Rubarth and the spatial details/cues are all intact with vibrancy. I still get all the linguistic detail without sibilance. A major feat in my books

The bass is not lacking in any way nor is it emphasized in relation to the mids and highs. It digs real deep without fading which took me by surprise more than a few times. It is incredibley fast and delicate too. Chello plucks in the lower octaves will send chills down your spine. Whew.

The mids are really a standout with these headphones! I am hearing all the detail I expected and they have this smooth quality to them. Not smooth as in overly warm. I mean to say smooth as in male and female vocals are on par as well as attaining a very spatial separation; effortless. The mids presentation here make acoustic and piano accompaniment in songs very well portrayed too.

The highs are delicate with a slight nudge upward at around 8-10khz. It is smartly accomplished though as this allows for the portrayal of detail without the premature fatigue brought about with typical flagship headphones that have an emphasis around 5-7khz imho. I found this to be the case with the HiFiman HE560's which have splashy treble with thin bass. So the Dx's are definitely a value in my opinion and more so with the current discount.

The Dx's definitely benefit from amplification. Out of my iPhone 6s+ they sound thin and uninvolved with a lack of dynamism. Proper amplification will bring about proper dynamic swing and gestalt in the bass while adding wetnes to the mids. The treble all of a sudden present with natural decay and add more separation to the mix while opening up the soundstage even further still.

When briefly compared to my LCD-Xs I found that the Dx's were noticeably warmer overall but just slightly so. Surprisingly the soundstage was about the same. Where the biggest difference was heard was in general separation or air if you will. The Xs have a more delicate take in the lows and better integration of the mids to highs.

These are my initial impressions. I hope I was able to lend a little insight for anyone on the fence.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  5. musiclvr
    [​IMG]

Yaroslav likes this.
  6. Yaroslav
    How uncomfortable is the Sine for you?

I have the X as well, and I don't buy Sine just because I usually hate on-ears. My ears just barely fit into LCD-*, HD800 and HD600/5**.

Could you comment on comfort pretty please?

7. musiclvr
    Sure! In hand the Dx's are truly luxury you can feel appreciate. I took me about 5 min too adjust the headband sliders to get the right fit. Once the placement of the cups have even pressure on my ears I am good to go! I found that I had some fatigue after about 1.5 hours so I took a 15 min break and jumped back into the music. Clamping pressure is firmly moderate and I anticipate it will become just right with time. I hope this helps.

Yaroslav likes this.
  8. -rowan-
    That's good to hear! I have the closed Sine and am sorely tempted by the DX so I'd be interested in any direct comparison between the two.

9. -rowan-
    You guys tried the MSR7 pads? They took care of the one overriding problem I had with the Sine, for me anyway.

10. -rowan-
    And btw, why is there no cipher cable option for the DX?

Curious minds want to know.

11. Dillan
    Nope, haven't tried that and I would definitely be willing to give it a shot. I am a huge Audeze fan so anything to give one of their products a second chance.

12. musiclvr
    Audeze said that the current Cipher cable is voiced( when equalizer is set to flat) to sound best with the Sine. Since the DX is voiced differently the Current Cipher cable would not be ideal.

-rowan- likes this.
  13. -rowan-
    Good luck! I love my Sines but was subjecting my ears to torture practically every day until I tried switching out the pads.
    Here's mine: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/audeze-sine-series.793518/page-228#post-13398711
    There are lots of other people's impressions from round about page 210 onwards.
    You might want to explore velour pads as well since soundstage seems to be a big thing with the DX. I tend to like velour pads personally but found they took away too much bass slam of the Sines so settled with the MSR7 ones.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  14. PDC3
    First Impressions of Audeze Sine DX Used with Schiit Modi (optical) -> Asgard 2; iPhone 7s -> Oppo HA-2

Pros: Displays a sonic tapestry of great texture and fascinating design, that is a bit more treble-forward than other planar magnetic headphones.

Cons: May not ease its tight fit to accommodate fatheads like mine. Despite being open-back, not a particularly wide nor deep sound stage.

Why I Bought the Audeze Sine DX: I was seeking the ability of a planar magnetic to faithfully reproduce bass, coupled with a bit more forward treble than my Oppo PM-3, with the broad soundstage of an open-back design akin to my Grado RS-1.

Let's see how close the Sine DX comes to fulfilling that mission.

Comfort: Hmmm. Tight fit on my hat size 7 1/4 that becomes uncomfortable within 20 minutes. Others have noted that the headband, with care, can be stretched outward, which I may try in future. My ears almost fit within the cups and I get a tight seal, even over glasses. The Sine DX are not as immediately comfortable as the Oppo PM-3 cups' more plush over-ear experience. Nor is the Sine DX headband a winner for me, as it is rounded but narrow enough to make itself felt, unlike the Oppo.

Ergonomics: I wasn't given the option of the Cipher cable so I can't speak to that. The flat-wire cable retains its memory so well that I feel like I'd like to iron out its kinks (disclaimer: do NOT do that). But I think the angled 2.5 mono connector in each cup looks neat, feels secure. The supplied adaptor to 1/4 inch size fits securely and is handsome. The earcups swivel to lay flat but do not hinge inward for tight storage when traveling.

Overall sound signature: Excellent for me. No obvious valleys or peaks in the spectrum that interfere with enjoyment. The bass has so much presence that I'd be inclined to say they are warm except that the mids and treble shine as they should, so the overall effect is like an intricately woven tapestry of great texture and fascinating design. Folks talk about "seeing into the music" and that is the overall impression I have. Put the frequency response between the slightly treble-veiled Oppo PM-3 and the treble-crisp/mid-bass-light Grado RS-1. More like the Oppo overall.

Avoiding congestion; After I've decided that I like a sound signature in a phone, my next big question is how it handles "congestion," my term for highly dense sonic passages of many instruments playing simultaneously but not in unison. Do I hear all those interwoven patterns clearly? Does the bass tend to muddy the clarity of the mids and treble? The climactic passages in Albeniz: Fete-Dieu A Seville (Erich Kunzel) are one good test; the opening chords of the last movement of Saint-Saens Symphony #3 with its organ blast are another; and Holst Suite #1 for Military Band (Fennel), III March is a third (huge bass drum against brass). Here I'm not as pleased with the Sine DX. Say an A- grade. The mid-treble seems to get "hard" sounding as the phones strive to keep all those sonic bricks in their proper place in the wall of sound that Albeniz requires. Whereas the Oppo PM-3 excels in this, as does the Grado RS-1 (albeit with a very different, less warm sonic signature). But the Sine DX handles the Military Band well here, with its greater treble emphasis than the Oppo sounding more realistic when rendering the brass pealing out. Likewise the Saint-Saens organ chord (God is descending and we won't overlook Him with this announcement) is forthright. Plus, when it gives way to the piano running trills, the Oppo tends to obscure that waterfall effect just a bit compared to the clarity of the Sine DX. The Sine DX loves brass - the Maynard Ferguson big band rendition of Birdland weaves all the sonic threads in that dense arrangement expertly, and the Ferguson horn sings out proudly.

Bass faithfulness: I'm not a bass head, disliking added rumble and outright hating what I perceived as muddy, bloated sound from the under-$100 Sony and Sennheiser closed-back phones that I once owned. They kept me away from headphone listening until I came upon Grado. Rather, I want to hear the string when the bass is plucked. I want that leading edge of the note with the follow up of the deep rumble. And I want to hear the bass when its underneath a jazz orchestra in a supporting role, sounding like it is supporting, not dominating. The Grado entry phones pleased me in avoiding the muddies, and when I took the plunge to acquire the Grado RS-1 they shocked me with how well they could do this while offering a palpable bass. But, my tastes have changed somewhat. The Grado system somehow lets the sensation of warmth dissipate. The Sine DX (and Oppo PM-3) retain the warmth without the muddy, bloated sensations I detest. Ron Carter's Great Big Band playing Footprints really makes a statement on the Audeze Sine DX, as does Stanley Clarke's fascinating riff on "I Want To Tell You 'Bout That." On this track too, the Oppo slightly buries the piano in the mix compared to the Sine DX, although if its the bass you want, the Oppo's closed back seems to help it retain a more complete bass experience than the Sine DX. Back in the day, I played Ahmad Jamal"s Poinciana from his Digital Works album for a speaker salesman. He wanted to know all about the CD, as the bass seems to caress the Jamal piano notes. The Sine DX does this very well and faithfully, while the Oppo PM-3 excels.

Treble sweetness: If you know the sound of 1980s Klipsch horn-loaded tweeters then you know the treble I don't like. If you know the treble of Emotiva AirMotiv or Adam Audio monitors, then you know the "sweetness" I seek. A sweet treble is just as entirely "there" as a dynamic tweeter, and so can easily distinguish cymbals of varying types, and the low notes from the violin from the notes played by a viola. But it doesn't make massed strings sound hard-edged like the horns on some kind of ride of Valkyries. For all of its measurable irregularities in the treble region, I like the sweetness of the Grado RS-1. The Oppo PM-3 avoids treble harshness by default, in that it recedes treble a bit so it never annoys. But one loses a bit of insight and presence as a result of this Oppo characteristic. The Sine DX has more edginess than the Grado, so that the climatic moment in Barber's Adagio for Strings (Levi) has a bite that, while not sweet, seems authentic. Mike Manieri's vibraphone shimmers beautifully on tracks by Steps Ahead. Brass sounds fantastic, with your-are-there impact. For me, this approach to treble works very well.

Vocal & Rock-ability: Yes, the Audeze Sine DX has the goods. Bill Withers on Soul Shadow, Jonny Lang and Joss Stone on When Love Comes to Town, Roger Daltrey on Music Must Change, James Taylor on Captain Jim's Drunken Dream and The Manhattan Transfer on To You all sound true to themselves. The soprano on To You has a hard-edged note or two. If you seek a sweet soprano voicing you may need to be careful with the Audeze Sine DX.

Soundstage: Well on soundstage I'm a bit surprised and slightly disappointed. I was hoping for the highly open effect that I enjoy with the Grado RS-1 and yet the Sine DX are more intimate. The Bob Mintzer Big Band recorded in an unusual "lets all surround the mike" configuration, so the soundstage is very compelling on tracks like Incredible Journey. I expected the Sine DX to splash the brass across the space. In fact, they are often more closed in than the closed-back Oppo PM-3! Its not that they're not built open. When no audio is playing, I hardly notice a difference with them on or off for ambient sound. I suspect the combination of the earcups allowing a closer proximity to my ear canal plus that mid-treble presence combine to give me an impression of a more intimate space. As to instrument placements in that space, I find them equal to the other two phones referenced here. As openness is not of the highest priority for me, I'm good with this.

Value: Once a headphone costs more than $400 I can no longer consider it inexpensive, but at $600 The Audeze Sine DX is an excellent value. The sonic quality meets or exceeds other similarly priced phones I’ve heard, including my own Grado RS-1. The build quality is excellent. I expect this phone should reliably play beautifully for many years.

Conclusion To Date (few days use): The Audeze Sine DX is not perfect, but it certainly deserves a place among one’s most cherished headphones. I am hoping the Sine and I come to a happy place in the comfort zone, and then they are keepers for sure.

robm321 and -rowan- like this.
  15. Computer Lounge
    If I had to pick two areas where Audeze could have improved the SINEs, it would be the comfort, and the stock cable. After almost a minute of repositioning you will eventually get them sitting right, but god help you if you ever have to take them off quickly :wink:

Interesting recommendation regarding the MSR7 pads, I wouldn't have thought they would have fit - I'll have to give it a go.

If the closed SINE is anything to go by, these are going to sound incredible though, I can't wait until they are available to purchase through our reseller channel :L3000:

// Alex