Audeze SINE Series
Oct 21, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #2,776 of 4,775
I almost give up on Sine because of comfort issue. It start hurting my ears after an hour of use, I swapped pads with non-authentic MSR7 pads bought from amazon no adapter needed, boy what a different. It is very comfortable now (over ear) and sound quality improved due to better seal. Tried HM5 with custom adapter but don't like the sound, if you guys interested let me know.

Picture? Please

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #2,777 of 4,775
Spent about 5 hours last night streaming Tidal via iPhone 7plus using the cipher cable. Was wonderful and does have that signature Audeze sound. Made a few adjustments with the Audeze EQ app to get it closer to what my ears prefer.
Great stuff

Oct 25, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #2,781 of 4,775
slow internet connection double post 
wink_face.gif

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #2,782 of 4,775
Just read the latest issue of What Hifi and they gave them a 3 of 5 stars! wow

As a SINE owner I'd say that, all things considered, that's a very fair review. There's no argument over the great sound quality, but it's the other non audio things about the SINE that drag it down. I'm also in agreement with what What HiFi said about the Cipher cable in that it sounds artificially forward and does end up missing out on some detail.

To be honest I haven't listened to SINEs in over 4 months now, as I much prefer the Beyer Dynamic DT1350 for portable use and the DT1770 for closed back home listening.

Oct 25, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #2,784 of 4,775
As a SINE owner I'd say that, all things considered, that's a very fair review. There's no argument over the great sound quality, but it's the other non audio things about the SINE that drag it down. I'm also in agreement with what What HiFi said about the Cipher cable in that it sounds artificially forward and does end up missing out on some detail.

To be honest I haven't listened to SINEs in over 4 months now, as I much prefer the Beyer Dynamic DT1350 for portable use and the DT1770 for closed back home listening.

I also prefer my BEYERDYNAMIC T51i for iPhone use, but easily beaten by ASTELLnKERN AK70 + LZ-A3 when portable. 
in the end AUDEZE sine is only used now when sitting working on Macbook Air with BURSON Air ...

Oct 25, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #2,785 of 4,775
As a SINE owner I'd say that, all things considered, that's a very fair review. There's no argument over the great sound quality, but it's the other non audio things about the SINE that drag it down. (...)

They also rated Sines at 3 out of 5 in the sound quality category - see the "Breakdown" section.
IMO Sines are one of the best sounding portables (compared with Momentums, B&O, B&W, Meze, Oppo etc.)

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #2,786 of 4,775
They also rated Sines at 3 out of 5 in the sound quality category - see the "Breakdown" section.
IMO Sines are one of the best sounding portables (compared with Momentums, B&O, B&W, Meze, Oppo etc.)

Missed that. Re-reading the review would seem to indicate that they only tested them with either the Cipher cable or using the normal cable direct from an iPhone. This means that they didn't didn't give them a decent source. As I'm pretty sure most of us in this thread know, they're awkward to drive from just a basic DAP/Phone.

It's either that or Audeze aren't advertising with What HiFi :wink:

Oct 25, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #2,787 of 4,775
Missed that. Re-reading the review would seem to indicate that they only tested them with either the Cipher cable or using the normal cable direct from an iPhone. This means that they didn't didn't give them a decent source. As I'm pretty sure most of us in this thread know, they're awkward to drive from just a basic DAP/Phone.

It's either that or Audeze aren't advertising with What HiFi
wink.gif

it's probably both...with more of the latter mixed in lol. i don't think what hifi has an agenda to push audeze.  especially if they're an american company and not paying ad revenue. 

Oct 25, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #2,788 of 4,775
i have yet to hear this driven from an amp. Driven directly out of my macbook pros audio jack, they dont sound $300+ better than the standard iphone white earphones. If I use software boost like Boost2 then they sound crazy good. But then again im a n00b when it comes to these things

sidenote: anyone running custom cables to these? What connectors fit the cans? 

Oct 25, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #2,789 of 4,775

Went through the review. certainly not one of the best ones ever posted about Sine. The comment about comfort could be misleading since it looosens up with time. A brand new one will have some clamping force. The reviewer either didn't have any knowledge of high end headphones (which would be my take, given what hifi doesn't specialize in headphones, its a bit of everything) or deliberately testing using sub-par sources. Some of the comments don't make any sense whatsoever: the sound from an iphone with the standard cable is better compared to the cipher 
gs1000.gif
. He probably prefers tinny sound as opposed to full bodied sound, or his cipher cable has a problem (which is not uncommon). There was also a mention of how some people can curl up their ears inside the earcups and if the reviewer falls into that category there is a problem. Curling up the ears inside the earcups will have sonic interference and degraded sound compared to resting on the ears as they are meant to be (I am not speculating, this is from direct experience).

The review was also very patchy, only two songs??? Most reviewers have a full playlist while reviewing headphones which covers many genre. Lastly, I have heard both Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and BW P7 and Sine has better resolution, imaging and soundstage than both of them. The same website also gave the apple earbuds 3/5; come on!!

The problem is, the Sines are marketed as the kind of headphones that people wear around their heads with iphone in the pocket and naturally it is compared and competed against cheaper headphones in that category where the difference in price outweighs any improvement in sound quality (Sines are heavy too). However the Sines are truly audiophile devices that scale proportionately with quality source. Unfortunately we cannot expect that type of analysis from a website which reviews everything from TVs to game consoles and doesn't even publish the name of it's reviewer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back