Audeze SINE Series
Jun 21, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #1,516 of 4,783
Assuming the wifi isn't implemented poorly - or resampled through the Yamaha's own dac in some weird way, and they didn't cripple the HP output somehow in the AVR, yes, probably getting a redbook output.

Seems like a roundabout way to get there, but I don't really bother with streaming services in the first place, so ... *shrug*

Jun 21, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #1,518 of 4,783
I have been demoing a pair of Sine for about two weeks now. I fi d the Sine sound wonderful, the bass is very nice and the mids are sweet. Furthermore I found the Sines to be pretty detailed and resolving of the the sound. I think the Sine is technically a touch better than my OPPO PM-3'S. The only thing that I do not like about the legendary Sine, was how hot, my ear got from the on the ears pads of the Sine. If I lived in a cooler, less humid State, I would get a pair Sine, however, I live in Florida, and I hate sweaty ears. If I want that sweet Audeze bass, I will have to go for a LCD-X. I hope everyone has a great tome jamming out and that your cans put a big old smile on your face.

I live in Florida too. I do not find the Sine anymore sweaty than many including the PM-3. My ears never sweat wearing these inside, what I would be comparing these too is when I use them outside or exercising. In  Florida, you just sweat...period. Soundwise, too me no comparison the Sine easily win. For portability comparison, PM-3 are more comfortable, but bass light and a boring, dull sound signature, the sound is flat and very good, it is a great headphone, but to me it just doesn't make music listening a foot tapping experience. The Sine provides a better portable sound signature and a more enjoyable listening experience.

Again, this is all a matter of what sound preference checks your boxes. 

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #1,519 of 4,783
The carry bag that came with the sine looks great, but is there a danger the metal headphone cups with damage each other in transit (stored in the bag)? I have taped up the areas of contact, but man it looks ugly on such a nice headphone.

I had a bit of a brainstorm this morning at work. When I get home I'm going to dig out a shoe bag that came with a very nice pair of blued suede shoes (thank you Elvis :wink:. It has a carry bag with two compartments, one for each shoe. I suppose the headband would peek out of the top of the bag.

Any other ideas or solutions would be much appreciated! 

Loving the Mojo/Sine combo!

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #1,520 of 4,783
Just wondering if anyone has experience with both the Sine and the Shure 846? Which would you recommend on the basis of sound quality alone?
Cheers.

Sound quality? Sine. 
accuracy? Sine. 

The 846 isolates better, but it's super rolled off in the mids and highs. I really cannot recommend them for anything these days. Even the $100 Sony MDR-V6 and it's brethren are better than the 846 on all counts (but not better than the Sine).

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #1,521 of 4,783
Assuming the wifi isn't implemented poorly - or resampled through the Yamaha's own dac in some weird way, and they didn't cripple the HP output somehow in the AVR, yes, probably getting a redbook output.

Seems like a roundabout way to get there, but I don't really bother with streaming services in the first place, so ... *shrug*

Another pesky question please. I was testing round about mostly to see if reference Yamaha AVR drives headphones, overall, better than an iPhone. Logic says a reference Yamaha nicely powered AVR should theoretically drive headphones better than an iPhone, yes?

I'm going a little OT but curios please. The decision between PM3 and Sine getting harder.

Not sure what "red book output" means but I can actually use a nifty "pure direct" mode on Yamaha AVR to completely shut off DSP/DAC chips. Just amplify what it's getting. If I don't shut off DSP/DAC chip entirely I realized must set to "Main" which is 2-channel audio, or it sounds awful. So I learned 2-channel setting is for output to headphones. And I can do all that remotely; Yamaha has one of the best AVR control iOS apps. Beautifully thought out and implemented. The results were really awful until I realized must output 2-channel instead of default 5.1. But that's only for headphones (see below).

On the other hand - streaming Tidal Hi-def to yammy AVR and then output to klipsch reference speakers I can make nice use of DSP settings for 5.1 or even 9 channel output which is pretty nice sounding. It's more a bit OT but for anyone auditioning their first nice hp's, it's cool if you have a home rig you can piggyback a "hi-def" CD quality source to properly test for SQ on both new hp's and what you like coming out of your home rig.

I'm learning Tidal and Roon while I'm auditioning PM3 and Sine.

At the moment, with Tidal HD, the Sine "woke up" with Cipher. To me it sounds like PM3s "woke up" with AVR.

I wish I took a photo of Dragonfly Red before I returned it - but side by side holding it and Cipher DAC, there's not much difference, I think people are greatly underestimating the cipher DAC, which I learned is a DAC that actually supports headphone track & volume control. I think there will be a flood of lightning DAC cables after iPhone 7 specs confirmed. This will disrupt traditional portable & desktop DAC manufacturers to some extent.

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #1,522 of 4,783

Sound quality? Sine. 
accuracy? Sine. 

The 846 isolates better, but it's super rolled off in the mids and highs. I really cannot recommend them for anything these days. Even the $100 Sony MDR-V6 and it's brethren are better than the 846 on all counts (but not better than the Sine).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but your comments about the SE846 seem to differ from those of many many people worldwide, including at least virtually everyone who has posted on the over 1000 pages in the SE846 thread -- including me. Personally, I've got the Sine and SE846 and the SE846 has strengths that the Sine doesn't have, and vice versa.  Among other things, SE846 has more speed and detail than the Sine - compared with other TOTL phones, Audeze has never been known to produce headphones with outstanding speed and resolution, they've tended to be rich and lush. But of course the Sine, since it is outside the ear, produces a larger sound and has very good detail, probably the best of any on ear. For me, I prefer the SE846. It also comes down to which do you prefer-- an IEM or an on hear headphone.

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #1,523 of 4,783
Holy smokes, just got the Sine with the Cipher in the mail.......These are killer....Very in your face with incredible clarity.......I have the titanium and EL 8 too......I may like these more than the titanium, but its still early

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #1,525 of 4,783
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but your comments about the SE846 seem to differ from those of many many people worldwide, including at least virtually everyone who has posted on the over 1000 pages in the SE846 thread -- including me. Personally, I've got the Sine and SE846 and the SE846 has strengths that the Sine doesn't have, and vice versa.  Among other things, SE846 has more speed and detail than the Sine - compared with other TOTL phones, Audeze has never been known to produce headphones with outstanding speed and resolution, they've tended to be rich and lush. But of course the Sine, since it is outside the ear, produces a larger sound and has very good detail, probably the best of any on ear. For me, I prefer the SE846. It also comes down to which do you prefer-- an IEM or an on hear headphone.

I just figured out my error. In my head, he was asking about the 840 over ears (i generally wouldn't compare on ears with in ears). And that is what my answer covers. Apologies.

Jun 21, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #1,527 of 4,783
I just figured out my error. In my head, he was asking about the 840 over ears (i generally wouldn't compare on ears with in ears). And that is what my answer covers. Apologies.

That was my mistake as well, I personally don't think the 840 even belongs in the same conversation as the Sine and was amazed someone thought they were better-until it was pointed out that the SE846 was IEM.

Jun 21, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #1,530 of 4,783

I am in the other school. Out of all of the headphones and iem's I have had, the Shure SE846 holds the distinction of the one that I returned/sold the quickest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back