Audeze SINE Series
Mar 22, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #361 of 4,783
I think if the impressions finding the Sine similar enough to the PM3 to not be a slam-dunk winner are accurate, then Audeze making a Bluetooth version makes even more sense. I would not be surprised if Oppo is going to come out with a Bluetooth model soon enough. Come on Audeze, get ahead of the curve!

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #362 of 4,783
Planars don't experience "burn-in", or at least I've never heard any that have (and I've owned a large number of planars). Dynamic headphones can, depending on the headphone, but it's subtle (nothing drastic), and it doesn't take very long. I set them to play some bass-heavy music overnight and that seems to be all any of them require. The largest differences I've encountered are with cans that have "biocellulose" drivers, and the "burn-in" hasn't always been 100% beneficial (ie. the bass ended up being not quite as tight as it was out of the box). :xf_eek:

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #364 of 4,783
Mr Speakers will tell you his Ethers need 150 hours- so I think asking Audeze about burn in is a better idea. just saying

Good idea, what do they say?

https://www.audeze.com/lcd-2-update

Assembled headphones are being measured with Neumann KU 100 Artificial Head for Frequency Response and Distortion.  Before Shipping we have now added a long burn in test on every headphone with Pink Noise at average level of 95 dB.

If they do burn in, it's already done by the time they get to you. And yes, I know, that's for the LCD2, but you'd have to be a maniac to think that the article means the ONLY do this for the LCD2. 

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #366 of 4,783
Thanks for opinions.

I figured that I would just buy them and return them, if I don't like them, but as I said, if their sound "settle down" after some burn-in (not going to start any discussion on this, it seems 50:50), I wondered I could try to listen to them after that period of time.

Off-topic question - any recommendations for DAC player ? Currently I am thinking about FiiO X3 2nd Gen, but I will appreciate any other suggestions.

Bobi

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #367 of 4,783
  Thanks for opinions.

I figured that I would just buy them and return them, if I don't like them, but as I said, if their sound "settle down" after some burn-in (not going to start any discussion on this, it seems 50:50), I wondered I could try to listen to them after that period of time.

Off-topic question - any recommendations for DAC player ? Currently I am thinking about FiiO X3 2nd Gen, but I will appreciate any other suggestions.

Bobi

Best IMO is the Chord Mojo, but you'll need a transport/source like an AK100 or a smartphone. Mojo pairs well with the SINEs and powers them easily. Cheers 

Mar 22, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #368 of 4,783
I called Audeze and they said they already burn in every Sine headphone for 50 hours, and that they should be burned in for 50-100 more hours after

Mar 23, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #369 of 4,783
Mr Speakers will tell you his Ethers need 150 hours- so I think asking Audeze about burn in is a better idea. just saying

That was started as a tactic to get people to keep audio gear longer, past its return window. I know, because I was a salesman in an audio store when the scheme first hatched, and was ordered to tell people the same thing, myself, despite my manager knowing it was hogwash. I'm not saying that's what Mr Speakers is doing, most don't know the origin of it, but now the burn-in myth is so prevalent, it's permeated the entire hobby (to the point even some fairly large manufacturers believe it). It's very unlikely he realizes its origins or is trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes (or ears, in this case).

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #370 of 4,783
Listening to the Sine. Oh my... they're velvety smooth, lush, and very "stat-like". :eek: THD numbers on these must be absurdly low. One of the first things that came to mind is, these + the HD800S would be an amazing 2 headphone combo, they seem very complementary.

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #371 of 4,783
  I read in this thread something about using "pink noise" ?
I used YouTube to listen and understand, what it is, and it has something to do with frequency of sound ? Can you help me understand the reason for doing so ?
I think someone mentioned here using pink and and even white sound - again, I heard the difference, but I am not able to understand "magic" behind this.

Pink noise contains all the frequencies audible to humans, all the time, and is thought to be ideal for "burning in" audio components.

Here's a more precise explanation: http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/pink-noise-versus-white-noise/

I burn in everything I buy for my audio rig, except cables, where I've never heard the slightest difference. Burn-in typically makes a negligible difference, in my experience. The effect seems to be the largest with speakers and headphones, but even then it's rare to hear differences worth obsessing over.

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #372 of 4,783
  Best IMO is the Chord Mojo, but you'll need a transport/source like an AK100 or a smartphone. Mojo pairs well with the SINEs and powers them easily. Cheers

Thank you for suggestion @mscott58, but I'd like to have separate player (I guess it's DAP, not DAC) rather than using smartphone as source.

Pink noise contains all the frequencies audible to humans, all the time, and is thought to be ideal for "burning in" audio components.

Here's a more precise explanation: http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/pink-noise-versus-white-noise/

I burn in everything I buy for my audio rig, except cables, where I've never heard the slightest difference. Burn-in typically makes a negligible difference, in my experience. The effect seems to be the largest with speakers and headphones, but even then it's rare to hear differences worth obsessing over.

Thanks for the link @Fifinder, I understand it now.

Mar 23, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #373 of 4,783
Meh, just another PM-3 wannabe it seems. I'll pass. That said, I might consider a bluetooth version if they release before wireless PM-3.

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #374 of 4,783
  Meh, just another PM-3 wannabe it seems. I'll pass. That said, I might consider a bluetooth version if they release before wireless PM-3.

Yeah.................... the hands on reviews of users seem to be coming to that kind of conclusion about the sine. I can't really comment as I havn't heard it but it is only a Bluetooth model that would actually interest me.... Oppo said in an e-mail to me they will not be releasing a BT version of PM-3 because of sound quality. Audeze on the other hand do seem to be open to the idea if demand is there. Nothing wrong with APTx  SQ in my opinion. I think it is very good and APTx-HD seems to be a step up again if initial reviews are to be believed.

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #375 of 4,783

Yeah.................... the hands on reviews of users seem to be coming to that kind of conclusion about the sine. I can't really comment as I havn't heard it but it is only a Bluetooth model that would actually interest me.... Oppo said in an e-mail to me they will not be releasing a BT version of PM-3 because of sound quality. Audeze on the other hand do seem to be open to the idea if demand is there. Nothing wrong with APTx  SQ in my opinion. I think it is very good and APTx-HD seems to be a step up again if initial reviews are to be believed.

The thing is PM-3 and similar headphones (Sine, BO H7, BW P5 etc) are not that resolving so BT quality is more than enough, especially APTx. I think they just don't want to pay for R&D costs because it's not easy to make a BT headphone with good connection. They'd probably have to hire new engineers for that. For instance, P5 Wireless works flawlessly whereas BO H8 has connection issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back