Audeze SINE Series
Jan 25, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #106 of 4,785
Jan 25, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #107 of 4,785
  Bad news is closed back...
Not good in my book.

I suspect most folks want their portables to block ambient noise so it makes sense for Audeze to make them closed back.  However, I agree it would be cool if they offered an open-back version as well, like the EL-8 series.

I personally would LOVE:

• planar magnetic
  • low-impedance
  • high-sensitivity
  • open-back
  • low-profile headband
  • folding ear cups
  • angled leather pads
  • 350 grams or less
  • single-sided unbalanced 3.5mm input jack
  • Close-back, wireless, noise-cancelling variant as an option

Still dreaming for now...

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #108 of 4,785

Bad news is closed back...
Not good in my book.

I suspect most folks want their portables to block ambient noise so it makes sense for Audeze to make them closed back.  However, I agree it would be cool if they offered an open-back version as well, like the EL-8 series.

I personally would LOVE:

• planar magnetic
  • low-impedance
  • high-sensitivity
  • open-back
  • low-profile headband
  • folding ear cups
  • angled leather pads
  • 350 grams or less
  • single-sided unbalanced 3.5mm input jack
  • Close-back, wireless, noise-cancelling variant as an option

Still dreaming for now...

Sounds awfully close to a PM-2.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #109 of 4,785
Hi,​

I would also like a wireless version of the 'sine', it would be nice to have the option of going Bluetooth with a top quality headphone. I contacted Audeze and they said........after they offer the  lightning cable version around april, maybe they could offer a Bluetooth version later in the year if there was enough demand for it  but also said Bluetooth ruined the audio quality so it was a problem for them as Audeze strived for the best sound quality.

I hope they do offer an aptx Bluetooth option, maybe making it compatible with the new Aptx HD codec which is being made available by qualcom straight away. If they go the route of others and make it a cabled option as well then it would be an easy buy for me, at least. I would rather pay extra for a wireless option rather than a cypher cable.

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #110 of 4,785

Sounds awfully close to a PM-2.

The EL-8 and PM-3 also come close, with different compromises.  I don't understand why a headphone meant to be a simple portable option needs to complicate the design with dual cable inputs.  I'm willing to give up balanced input capability for the sake of a cheap, don't-care-if-it-breaks, 3.5 mm cable that I can toss around in a backpack.  

Let's be real - a portable headphone is going to get at least a little abused and I don't want to pay more than $10 for a replacement cable.  I also don't need aluminum, plastic is probably a better portable option.  Aluminum might be tougher in terms of hardness and crush resistance, but ALL anodizing is pretty easily scratched.  If my headphones happen to brush up against some keys, aluminum anodizing will scratch.  Plastic will also scratch, but it'll be the same color rather than a nice anodized color contrasted by a bright silver scratch.  Not sure why most designers opt for swiveling instead of folding cups.  Granted, the phones will take up the same volume of space regardless, but with folding cups, you just fold and toss in a bag.  With swiveling cups, you either need to use the case all the time, or carefully pack your things so that the cups stay in the proper flat position - maybe a strong detent to hold the flat position would be good.

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #112 of 4,785
I don't want you to take this the wrong way but what you said above is like you wanting one of those tiny houses but upset that everything is too small on the inside.

meh... while typing that, I did feel a bit like a Prima Donna Goldilocks without the happily ever after ending.  

I think the manufacturers of PM headphones feel obligated to emulate high-end less-portable headphones because of perceived expectations from the target audience (maybe it's just as much real as perceived).  As a result, the product becomes OVER designed, to a point that it loses focus on portable purpose and functionality.

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #116 of 4,785

My favorite line from that article, " Too many high-end options ignore the fact that even audiophiles listen to music outside the home, and as a result, audio hobbyists have had to collect headphones for different uses like they were Pokèmon." The struggle is real!

Don't want to get too off topic but they also mention the Cipher cable and it's iDevice only compatibility.  I'm getting intrigued by the new AQ Dragonflys: http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-bugs-out-new-dragonfly-black-dragonfly-red-and-beetle-dacs#5Roe5AyICcMFjc2V.97

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #118 of 4,785
Can't name a particular one. But it was always the same problem with closed back for me: Resonance in the mid/lo-mid.

Ever tried the Ether-C's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back