Audeze SINE Series
May 17, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #1,186 of 4,785
For me the sub on the sines aren't that good. It's probably good for a portable rig tho but the bottom end is clearly rolled off.
Moreover they can't keep up sub bass at high level without distortion.

May 17, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #1,187 of 4,785
Bluetooth also requires a DAC and Battery. The headphone will become more heavy and bulky.
When I want portability I use my Sine with my Onkyo DP-X1.
When I don't care about portability and just want SQ, I stick my mojo to the Onkyo and that's audio heaven. Even if you cannot blind test the difference of the sampling rates, there is no way someone will ignore the ultra clear sound the mojo provides and the extra volume it provides compared to all other sources I've tried so far...
I really don't think you'll get that with a cypher cable or Bluetooth. Closest to me is chord invent a player with they're audio technology and full touch screen and multi format playback capability.

Yes a DAC and battery is required, but it need not be bulky, look at the Beoplay H7 which sports a decent capacity, removable/replaceable battery in one cup. The Cypher cable provides added bulk so losing the cable I would argue sheds quite a bit more bulk than adding Bluetooth. Plus, you will then open up the Sine to Android users as Bluetooth isn't OS dependent. I had a DP-X1 with a PM3 and after having shed them in favour of my phone as a transport, which I had to carry in addition to the DP-X1 anyway, and the H7 I can tell you my portability factor has gotten much better.

I suspect many people just can't believe how good Bluetooth sounds now with the Apt X codec, not to mention that simple DACs/amps such as can fit inside ear-cups are capable of such high quality sound. I suspect the Sine, or any BT headphone Audeze may make will need to become an around the ear design similar to the vast majority of offerings in BT, but I don't get the sense that people are buying the Sine for the on-ear design, I think they are buying it for the sound quality. My belief is that the electronics in the Cypher cable could be built into a headphone using a distributed design such as the DAC/amp in the headband perhaps so if people are raving about the quality of the Cypher sound that is plenty of evidence that a BT version will sound just as good, but lose the cable making it truly a formidable portable.

Does the Mojo or other devices sound better than the current Cypher or a future BT version? Maybe, but that is certainly subjective and I would bet some people not feel the same way as you. I'm being a pain in the ass in this thread as I'm hoping others who are also interested in BT can help encourage Audeze to really innovate and get on board the wireless wave which I can't imagine not dominating portable audio. There are now so many good BT choices available that people can start finding their sound and once people taste cable freedom for portable, I'm positive they will love it. I also get that some people love cables and that is cool as any BT headphone still works with a cable so best of both worlds if you ask me. I know, nobody asked me I just volunteered the babble. Sorry for the tirade people.

May 17, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #1,188 of 4,785
I totally agree, I believe wireless is the way of the future especially in the portable environment. We can only hope.  As far as size,  I would not mind an over ear wireless Sine but have to be definitely smaller than EL-8 and similar to the PM-3s. 

May 17, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #1,189 of 4,785
  For me the sub on the sines aren't that good. It's probably good for a portable rig tho but the bottom end is clearly rolled off.
Moreover they can't keep up sub bass at high level without distortion.

Just tested the Sine and the bass IS rolled off. I didn't notice it because the Hifiman Edition S bass is even MORE rolled off and I've been burning them both in all weekend. 

My personal bass test is i just record the headphone through a binaural mic and compare that recording against the original master recording. I'm up to 37 headphones tested now. Always shows what I'm hearing. 

May 17, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #1,190 of 4,785
Hello once more,
I have the v-moda xs now and was wondering if someone could do a direct comparison between this headphone and the sine? I understand that the sine is a lot better but a bit more detail would  be interesting.
The seme goes for the meze 99 classic. I have not owned this one but read some interesting comments about its sound quality.
I was also wondering if anyone has tested the sine with the cypher versus the chord mojo and what the conclusion is here. Furthermore I was wondering if you can use the cipher in combination with a macbook?
Thanks in advance for any info,
Greetings, Anouk,

May 17, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #1,191 of 4,785
  Hello once more,
I have the v-moda xs now and was wondering if someone could do a direct comparison between this headphone and the sine? I understand that the sine is a lot better but a bit more detail would  be interesting.
The seme goes for the meze 99 classic. I have not owned this one but read some interesting comments about its sound quality.
I was also wondering if anyone has tested the sine with the cypher versus the chord mojo and what the conclusion is here. Furthermore I was wondering if you can use the cipher in combination with a macbook?
Greetings, Anouk,

As far as I am aware the Cipher cable for the Sine has a lightning connector, so OK for iPads but not MacBooks.

May 17, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #1,192 of 4,785
  Hello once more,
Greetings, Anouk,

Hmmmm, the XS has more bass but for some reason it's the only headphone I've ever had that nobody liked. Most comments were it was very "cold" and "digital" sounding. The soundstage was very claustrophobic and reverbs don't carry. 
It was a tank though; very durable.

May 17, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #1,193 of 4,785
Hello once more,
Greetings, Anouk,

Have compared to the Mojo. My conclusion is that the Mojo is somewhat better in every way, but that the convenience of the cipher cable outweighs the advantages of the Mojo for portable use. (Cipher = portable; Mojo = transportable)

May 17, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #1,194 of 4,785
have tried this can yesterday *using the supplied audio jack (not the lightning)
its so detailed, vivid and rich sounding can. :) 
id definitely buy one but, i find its not to comfortable wearing for me. :frowning2:
maybe if they'd update or change the bands on this, and the materials used (leather like in the phones), id get one!

May 17, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #1,195 of 4,785

Hmmmm, the XS has more bass but for some reason it's the only headphone I've ever had that nobody liked. Most comments were it was very "cold" and "digital" sounding. The soundstage was very claustrophobic and reverbs don't carry. 
It was a tank though; very durable.

It has been a while since I owned the XS, and maybe now I would feel differently about it, but I remember liking the XS.

May 17, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #1,197 of 4,785
I own the V-Moda XS and have tried the Sine for a few hours. Here are my impressions.
The XS is a really good headphone. They are light weight, don't have heavy clamping force and well balanced sound. Neither the sound nor the headphones (weight/pressure) are fatiguing so you can enjoy them for hours. 

The Sine is an excellent headphone. They resolve details in the music much better than the XS. They also have better noise isolation. Mainly because the ear cups are bigger and clamping force is stronger. You will hear details you don't in the XS. You cannot help but pay attention to the music when you're using the Sines. In my short time using them, i found them tiring to use for more than an hour at a time. Mainly because their clamping force is quite strong but i also think its because the listening experience is more intense. They are also feel significantly heavier than the XS on the head.
I returned my first pair of Sines (Apple Store) for the above reason but now find myself missing them. I re-ordered them because they are truly amazing headphones and i'm hoping to stretch them out a bit to reduce the clamping pressure and expect i'll get used to listening to them for longer periods.

May 18, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #1,198 of 4,785
Ouch. This morning I just got an earful from an animal activist. This girl came to me at a table outside a cafe shop. She asked me what Brand my headphones were. Since the Sines dont have Audeze written on it. I told her it was Audeze Sine. I was thinking she might've liked the design. But she said she believes in Animal Rights and She wants to sue Audeze for harming animals for their leather. I told her the leather is synthetic (though the leather is real I think on external earcups). She said it looks like real leather and that she would get her friends and skin Audeze employees and I should ashamed of supporting such a company.

Anyhow I ignored her and walked off :frowning2:
Crazy people

One idiot yelled at me for my leather upholstery in my car, I literally gave her the finger and told her to suck on a quarter-pounder w/ cheese. Her look ---> :eek:

May 18, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #1,199 of 4,785
  I own the V-Moda XS and have tried the Sine for a few hours. Here are my impressions.
The XS is a really good headphone. They are light weight, don't have heavy clamping force and well balanced sound. Neither the sound nor the headphones (weight/pressure) are fatiguing so you can enjoy them for hours. 

The Sine is an excellent headphone. They resolve details in the music much better than the XS. They also have better noise isolation. Mainly because the ear cups are bigger and clamping force is stronger. You will hear details you don't in the XS. You cannot help but pay attention to the music when you're using the Sines. In my short time using them, i found them tiring to use for more than an hour at a time. Mainly because their clamping force is quite strong but i also think its because the listening experience is more intense. They are also feel significantly heavier than the XS on the head.
I returned my first pair of Sines (Apple Store) for the above reason but now find myself missing them. I re-ordered them because they are truly amazing headphones and i'm hoping to stretch them out a bit to reduce the clamping pressure and expect i'll get used to listening to them for longer periods.

When you get the new pair, don't be afraid of using EQ to tone down the highs a bit and make things a little less fatiguing.

May 18, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #1,200 of 4,785
One idiot yelled at me for my leather upholstery in my car, I literally gave her the finger and told her to suck on a quarter-pounder w/ cheese. Her look --->
eek.gif

I bet she's taking months off work from the stress of the encounter. Assuming she works, of course.

I literally just received my set of SINE and I'm running through my reference material. I'm marking out hard at the moment, but I'll give some objective comparisons to the PM-3s that I intended to replace with these:

- I have a size 8 ballcap, for reference.
- The PM-3 cups completely surround my ear (maybe not the earlobe?), while the SINE are straight-up on-ear. They remind me of the original Momentum in that regard.
- The PM-3 is much easier to drive. I have to run the volume much higher on the SINE.
- Bass quantity is significantly higher on the PM-3.
- Treble quantity is significantly higher on the SINE.
- Midrange even on either set.
- I hate harsh/sibilant headsets (**** the HD700) and I do not find these remotely harsh or fatiguing. The HE-560 is much harsher and fatiguing (the HE-560 is likely my treble limit).

I'm avoiding quality comparisons, as I'm currently in my "running out of the church to the limo" portion of my honeymoon phase with the SINE. As it stands, I much prefer ever facet of the SINE as I think it matches my sound preferences, however I have very little negative to say about the PM-3. It just depends on what your preferences are, and I think my quick comparison can get that point across. Sound quality is largely irrelevant if the sound profile doesn't match what you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back