Audeze SINE Series
Jan 9, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #4,336 of 4,783
Are Sine very difficult to drive? Something strange is going on with them. I have to turn the volume all the way up driving them from Antelope Zodiac or Bryston b60 but not so from Chord Mojo.

I find my Sine DX more or less the same sensitivity as my Ultrasone Pro 2900, thus it is more like 96-97dB/mW rather than the stated 102dB/mW.

Jan 20, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #4,337 of 4,783
Found some very close fitting pads for my Sine DX: Aftermarket pads for the Skullcandy Aviator 2.0. They are approximately 3mm larger and 5mm thicker than the stock pads. These pads make the Sine DX a bit more "open sounding" due to their extra thickness and less dense dust cover fabrics.

skullcandy aviator 2.0 pad 1.jpg skullcandy aviator 2.0 pad 2.jpg skullcandy aviator 2.0 pad 3.jpg
Skullcandy Aviator 2.0 pads.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #4,339 of 4,783
Found some very close fitting pads for my Sine DX: Aftermarket pads for the Skullcandy Aviator 2.0. They are approximately 3mm larger and 5mm thicker than the stock pads. These pads make the Sine are a bit more "open sounding" due to their thickness and less dense dust cover fabrics.

Do they attach without any mods? Are they readily available? Do they change anything else sonically? They look spot on perfect.

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #4,340 of 4,783
Found some very close fitting pads for my Sine DX: Aftermarket pads for the Skullcandy Aviator 2.0. They are approximately 3mm larger and 5mm thicker than the stock pads. These pads make the Sine are a bit more "open sounding" due to their thickness and less dense dust cover fabrics.

Seems that sits like msr7 pads.. On ear or over ear?

Jan 20, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #4,341 of 4,783
Nice. Are the ear openings larger in those ones?

Same opening size, but the dust cover fabrics on the aftermarket Skullcandy Aviator 2.0 pads are less dense and restrictive.

Do they attach without any mods? Are they readily available? Do they change anything else sonically? They look spot on perfect.

No mod is needed. The backside seam opening of the aftermarket Skullcandy Aviator 2.0 pads are smaller than the stock pads and I used scissors trimming about 2mm along the circumference, just to make it more tidy looking when mounted. They will mount just fine without trimming. These aftermarket Skullcandy Aviator 2.0 pads are widely available from multiple selllers in Amazon and ebay. Just buy the cheapest ones as they all come from the same factory in China.

Sonically it flatten the FR curve a bit from 1kHz onwards. I tested with 20-20kHz sweep and found the original 1.3kHz peak is about 1db less, 3.5kHz dip is 1db less, 6.8kHz dip 2db less. So the Aviator 2.0 pads actually improve the sound. My Sine DX sounds more like halfway between a LCD-2 and LCD-X now.

Seems that sits like msr7 pads.. On ear or over ear?

They sit better than the MSR pads because the Aviator 2.0 pads are triangular shape, not oval. They are still on ears, but making it much more comfortable because the Aviator 2.0 pads have flat contacting surface and distribute clamp pressure over larger area.

BTW, I am listening to the Sine DX with the 3m Meze99 stock OFC cable (available from Amazon for $20). I find the Meze99 cable gives the Sine DX a more consistent and focused sound signature. I find the stock SIne flat cable gives a "blurred" sound from time to time, likely because the flat cable copper cores are neither shielded, nor twisted to protect from interference.

This is the EQ curve I am using now with the Sine DX. The EQ curve was more radical with the stock pads.
Sine DX EQ.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #4,342 of 4,783
Same opening size, but the dust cover fabrics on the aftermarket Skullcandy Aviator 2.0 pads are less dense and restrictive.

No mod is needed. The backside seam opening of the aftermarket Skullcandy Aviator 2.0 pads are smaller than the stock pads and I used scissors trimming about 2mm along the circumference, just to make it more tidy looking when mounted. They will mount just fine without trimming. These aftermarket Skullcandy Aviator 2.0 pads are widely available from multiple selllers in Amazon and ebay. Just buy the cheapest ones as they all come from the same factory in China.

Sonically it flatten the FR curve a bit from 1kHz onwards. I tested with 20-20kHz sweep and found the original 1.3kHz peak is about 1db less, 3.5kHz dip is 1db less, 6.6kHz dip 2db less. So the Aviator 2.0 pads actually improve the sound. The Sine DX sounds more like halfway between a LCD-2 and LCD-X now.

They sit better than the MSR pads because the Aviator 2.0 pads are triangular shape, not oval. They are still on ears, but making it much more comfortable because the Aviator 2.0 pads have flat contacting surface and distribute clamp pressure over larger area.
Sounds like a plan

Jan 21, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #4,344 of 4,783
Much thicker than original HM5 slanted sheepskins made the closed Sines way more bassy - are we sure this isn't going to happen with the Aviators? At least these would look cool when out-and-about.

Jan 25, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #4,345 of 4,783
This is going to sound silly....but this headphone is way more comfortable to me when I where them backwards. Anyone else do this???

Jan 25, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #4,346 of 4,783
I got the aurvana pads and never looked back, still on ear but softer and much more comfortable, i dont hear any significant change in sound, sounds nearly the same for me.

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #4,347 of 4,783
I received my pair of special priced $279 Sine DX this morning. I am surprised by the triple boxed packaging. This is the nicest/most protective packaging I ever have from a headphone manufacturer. A nice enough carrying case is also included.

A quick listen to it tells it is more or less in the same sound quality segment of higher end L cusion Grado, it is not as dark sounding as I expected. Burning it in right now with 20Hz-100Hz tones to lossen up the diaphragm (if it makes difference). I am happy so far. I think at the current price it is better value than Grado SR225/SR325/RS2e/PS500e range.
lovely. does it comes with the cipher cable please? do you need to pay extra for the hard case please?

Jan 25, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #4,348 of 4,783
I received my pair of special priced $279 Sine DX this morning. I am surprised by the triple boxed packaging. This is the nicest/most protective packaging I ever have from a headphone manufacturer. A nice enough carrying case is also included.

A quick listen to it tells it is more or less in the same sound quality segment of higher end L cusion Grado, it is not as dark sounding as I expected. Burning it in right now with 20Hz-100Hz tones to lossen up the diaphragm (if it makes difference). I am happy so far. I think at the current price it is better value than Grado SR225/SR325/RS2e/PS500e range.

Where can I get this at this price?

Jan 25, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #4,349 of 4,783
Where can I get this at this price?

It was specially price during Christmas season last year.

lovely. does it comes with the cipher cable please? do you need to pay extra for the hard case please?

No Cipher cable. The open Sine DX does come with the hard case as standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back