Audeze SINE Series
Mar 9, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #4,366 of 4,775
Has anyone noticed any variance in sound signature between different Sine pairs? (I realize not many people have tried more than one pair, but just in case).

This is kinda strange. I just searched this thread for something like this. I ordered a used pair of sines and really liked the sound but i had this crackling on the earcups so i returned it and orederd a new pair of sines on ebay (but open boxed) and i find they lack this sparkling of the used sines i had. I'm a bit disappointed. They sound good now but not that great anymore. Could this be burn in effected?

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #4,367 of 4,775
This is kinda strange. I just searched this thread for something like this. I ordered a used pair of sines and really liked the sound but i had this crackling on the earcups so i returned it and orederd a new pair of sines on ebay (but open boxed) and i find they lack this sparkling of the used sines i had. I'm a bit disappointed. They sound good now but not that great anymore. Could this be burn in effected?

I've now confirmed that it was simply a memory bias for me. I've had 3 pairs of Sines, not all at the same time, and I thought my first one was the best. I sold it because I thought I was going to get another Mobius pair but ended up missing it. Since then I also listened to a pair of EL-8 Closed that I really liked. A couple months without my Sine, combined with listening to other headphones, made me remember the original Sine incorrectly. So when I got my second pair, I thought it sounded worse--not as good as my original that I consider to sound nearly perfect to my liking. When the recent refurb/open box sale happened at Audeze, I grabbed another Sine pair, to keep as a spare or to gift. I expected to hear some difference between my second pair and this new Sine, but no, they really do sound identical to my ears. I've also asked Audeze about this, and they said there were no major revisions with the Sine, and all pairs should sound similar.

Memory and other psychosomatic effects on our impressions of sound play a big role in how we perceive our audio equipment. There's even a known effect of listening more closely to new equipment, which makes it seem like the sound is more "detailed", but it's actually us focusing on any perceived changes and minute detail.

P.S.: if you want a more "sparkling sound", use the Cipher cable with an iOS device (or regular audio cable + amp + iOS device). The DAC and DSP in the Cipher cable do process the sound in a certain way to give a greater apparent separation and detail and a brighter, more sparkly signature. That's in comparison with a few Android phones I've tried and a separate DAP. I have a couple of good speaker set ups at home and realize how much brighter the Cipher sound signature is in comparison to a more powerful and full, detailed sound of my speaker set ups, so I sometimes swap to iPhone + Cayin C5 amp + Sine instead of using Sine + compact Cipher cable + iPhone. And yes, I literally got an older iPhone on eBay to serve as a DAP (and now as phone) because I liked the sound that much more--I was using Android up to that.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #4,368 of 4,775
I've now confirmed that it was simply a memory bias for me. I've had 3 pairs of Sines, not all at the same time, and I thought my first one was the best. I sold it because I thought I was going to get another Mobius pair but ended up missing it. Since then I also listened to a pair of EL-8 Closed that I really liked. A couple months without my Sine, combined with listening to other headphones, made me remember the original Sine incorrectly. So when I got my second pair, I thought it sounded worse--not as good as my original that I consider to sound nearly perfect to my liking. When the recent refurb/open box sale happened at Audeze, I grabbed another Sine pair, to keep as a spare or to gift. I expected to hear some difference between my second pair and this new Sine, but no, they really do sound identical to my ears. I've also asked Audeze about this, and they said there were no major revisions with the Sine, and all pairs should sound similar.

Memory and other psychosomatic effects on our impressions of sound play a big role in how we perceive our audio equipment. There's even a known effect of listening more closely to new equipment, which makes it seem like the sound is more "detailed", but it's actually us focusing on any perceived changes and minute detail.

P.S.: if you want a more "sparkling sound", use the Cipher cable with an iOS device (or regular audio cable + amp + iOS device). The DAC and DSP in the Cipher cable do process the sound in a certain way to give a greater apparent separation and detail and a brighter, more sparkly signature. That's in comparison with a few Android phones I've tried and a separate DAP. I have a couple of good speaker set ups at home and realize how much brighter the Cipher sound signature is in comparison to a more powerful and full, detailed sound of my speaker set ups, so I sometimes swap to iPhone + Cayin C5 amp + Sine instead of using Sine + compact Cipher cable + iPhone. And yes, I literally got an older iPhone on eBay to serve as a DAP (and now as phone) because I liked the sound that much more--I was using Android up to that.

Which DAP did you compare the Cipher too? I'm using a Fiio M9 at the moment but considering getting an old i phone 5s just for the cipher cable. Didn't buy ISine 10/20 only because i can't use cipher cable with it yet.

As regards the sound difference of Sines i don't think in my case it's memory bias because i have two pairs here and can compare them side by side. Could be complete imagination but i changed the earpads from my used model to the new model because the new models earpads hurt really quick while i can wear the used sine for hours. I guess it's because the new sines pads stiffened for 2 years unused while the other sine was 2 years in use and made the earpads a little bit softer. Maybe thats one thing that can alter the sound a little bit? Idk

Second change i made was to adjust the clamping force according to the vimeo tutorial from audeze and make it more loose so the pressure on the ears isn't that big anymore. Since these changes i'm quite happy with the new one. Either it's complete imagination but i think that those two factors could theoretically change the sound by a margin

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #4,369 of 4,775
Earpads can make a difference with Sine, yes. Especially 3rd party replacement pads that are over-ear: those can increase detail and brightness and reduce bass. Any difference in the earpad fit and shape of the earpad cavity can have an effect on the sound of these headphones.

I've compared to Shanling M3s DAP as well as 4 different phones and my Pioneer receiver at home. I personally like the Sine most with the Apple i-device sound (my iPad Pro and an oldie iPhone SE), either with Cipher cable or with normal audio cable + portable amp (Cayin C5). There's an effect DSP can have which one can hear by, say, playing with a modern digital receiver sound options (beyond just IQ) or things like ASIO output processing in Foobar with compatible DACs. In that regard, I didn't notice this right away, but after a long time of listening to Sine not on iOS devices because I didn't have an iPhone or an iPod, and so the Cipher cable just sat in storage, it was a very noticeable difference after I gave a "good listen" more recently. There's some DSP processing happening that gives a more detailed sound effect. It's not that there's magically more detail vs other good DAPs, it's more that the sound is processed to make those details more noticeable, more realistically spaced, and more subjectively pleasing to me. So I got an old iPhone and sold my DAP, to ditch my bulky DAP/amp stack and just enjoy the Sine with Cipher cable and a lightweight phone 90% of the time. When I want to add more power to the low end, I bring my portable amp.

Mar 11, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #4,372 of 4,775
How long is the warranty? Bought mine new 18 months ago. Cable is cutting out.

I just went through this with them, unfortunately. The drivers are covered for 3 years but the cable for only one. They offered me a replacement cable for $100 (edit: this was for the original Sine Cipher cable). You could check if you have extended warranty coverage via your credit card.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #4,373 of 4,775
If it's just the audio cable that's going bad, there are cheap Neomusicia cables available on Amazon and eBay that fit and work as well. If it's the connectors in the ear pads that are going bad, that would require a repair.

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #4,374 of 4,775
Do they have a good isolation for in office use?

hey man, excellent for office use. you can turn it up pretty loud and there is no leak, you can even change to larger pads but as long as it's not too large cups then won't leak. but overall stock pads are best for isolation.

Mar 29, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #4,376 of 4,775
I've had trouble with the stock pads for several years now, even though I've loved the sound these produce. SQ-wise these are best portable over-the-head hp I've yet heard (vs PM3, Momentum, QC35, CAL etc). The stock pads just don't isolate well enough to create a good seal. The volume goes up and down when I move my head left or right or move my jaw. This isn't anywhere near ideal.

But, since I already have a pair of CALs I thought why not give those pads a try, as suggested here. Well yeah, those volume jumps and overall lack of seal is gone. But, there is always a but. They are slightly larger and loose for the Sines, but didn't cause any problems after short tests out-doors. Everything sounded balanced. They sound pretty much the same as OG pads, but increase comfort loads - my Sines just got way more useable! All I need now is a new pair of CAL-pads for my CALs :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back