Audeze SINE Series
Feb 17, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #3,271 of 4,783
I hate my gummy springy cable that gets in the way.
I don't have cipher cable,
Just plain one.
It's too fat and bulky.
I will be looking at replacement cables.

100% agree. I am enjoying the Sines so much more after getting my custom cable. The stock ones are way too stiff and why did they need to make them flat cables in stead of round?

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #3,273 of 4,783
I can say after about 6 mos if use, I could not recommend the Cipher cable for anyone who moves around much at work. I kept my iPhone in my pocket, upside-down with the Cipher exiting out the top of my pants. The cable was NOT stressed -meaning not having my pants pocket or anything pulling or rubbing against it. Just having that flat cable hanging like that apparently put a lot of force at the connection point. Now, the audio goes in and out when "working" (if I can get it to stay in position). I just gave up this week and used the Apple-included D/A dongle to make it through. I personally think the flat cable is the culprit. The Cipher D/A amp itself was pretty good for how little power it drew; I can tell it was a great choice for the Sine's specs... just needed a round cable. I initially checked into getting a replacement but I don't want to be in the same spot several months down the line. I'll probably go with the Mojo or something else. Shame, I like being able to answer my phone without removing my headset.

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #3,277 of 4,783
Audeze Sine with Audio-Technica ear pads
I recently upgraded my ear pads to the A-T MSR7s with the adapters from inertianinja (thanks!). All I can say is I'm glad I follow this thread! I will admit there is some loss of bass impact from having the phones lifted away from the ears a few millimeters, but the gains in mid and treble quality are definitely worth it IMHO. I've been spending time this weekend listening to old favorites again. That little extra space obviates any prior need of mine to EQ. Well worth the price!

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #3,279 of 4,783
Audeze Sine with Audio-Technica ear pads
I recently upgraded my ear pads to the A-T MSR7s with the adapters from inertianinja (thanks!). All I can say is I'm glad I follow this thread! I will admit there is some loss of bass impact from having the phones lifted away from the ears a few millimeters, but the gains in mid and treble quality are definitely worth it IMHO. I've been spending time this weekend listening to old favorites again. That little extra space obviates any prior need of mine to EQ. Well worth the price!

How do the earpads fit without the adapters?

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #3,280 of 4,783
Feb 19, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #3,281 of 4,783
How do the earpads fit without the adapters?

Never tried it that way. I was looking forward to having some distance between me and the earpads. I used to try and angle the original pads/drivers to get less of an "in your head" perspective.

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #3,282 of 4,783
Alright, my first post to this august thread! I haven't read the whole thread (who has?) but I get the impression I'm one of the few people to use pads off the PSB M4U 1 here? I would WHOLEHEARTEDLY reccomend them as the go-to Sine pad because: conviently, the M4U ships with two pairs of pads, and they conviently fit the Sine without an adapter. And they sound to my ears head and shoulders better than any pad I tried that needs the adapter!

My working theory is that adapted pads--while admittedly more comfortable--leave too much volume in between the drivers and your ear, causing a loss of sharpness, presence, and especially a loss in bass slam.

My rule of thumb for Sine pads: SMALLER IS BETTER! The smallest you find comfortable will keep you closest to the stock sound.

The relatively small (but still comfortably circumaural) M4U pads don't appreciably affect the sound signature provided by the stock pads. I know because I swapped back just now to make sure I wasn't lying to anyone! The stock sound MIGHT be a hair more slammin' and rockin' and a hair more detailed, but it's close enough that I'm not confident any changes are real and not my confirmation bias at work.

I'm still glad I have the adapters, because there are times when I want to use bigger velour pads that provide an almost semi-open widening of the soundstage, sound leakage and all. Sometimes, that trade-off is desirable. But not all the time, not even a lot of the time.

But man those stock on-ear pads really are awful though. I didn't even make it through two paragraphs before eagerly switching back. What in the hell was Audeze even thinking? Is the "first on-ear planar" boast really that important to them? It's like the marketing department insisted on that, because they're lousy at their jobs or something. I always wonder how many sales that mistake cost them. It nearly cost them MY sale, before I remembered that creative people can always rise above such silly limitations :wink:

Now, if I could just find a 3.5mm mono plug that will fit...or maybe I'll just have to dremel down ones I already have....

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #3,283 of 4,783
Alright, my first post to this august thread! I haven't read the whole thread (who has?) but I get the impression I'm one of the few people to use pads off the PSB M4U 1 here? I would WHOLEHEARTEDLY reccomend them as the go-to Sine pad because: conviently, the M4U ships with two pairs of pads, and they conviently fit the Sine without an adapter. And they sound to my ears head and shoulders better than any pad I tried that needs the adapter!

My working theory is that adapted pads--while admittedly more comfortable--leave too much volume in between the drivers and your ear, causing a loss of sharpness, presence, and especially a loss in bass slam.

My rule of thumb for Sine pads: SMALLER IS BETTER! The smallest you find comfortable will keep you closest to the stock sound.

The relatively small (but still comfortably circumaural) M4U pads don't appreciably affect the sound signature provided by the stock pads. I know because I swapped back just now to make sure I wasn't lying to anyone! The stock sound MIGHT be a hair more slammin' and rockin' and a hair more detailed, but it's close enough that I'm not confident any changes are real and not my confirmation bias at work.

I'm still glad I have the adapters, because there are times when I want to use bigger velour pads that provide an almost semi-open widening of the soundstage, sound leakage and all. Sometimes, that trade-off is desirable. But not all the time, not even a lot of the time.

But man those stock on-ear pads really are awful though. I didn't even make it through two paragraphs before eagerly switching back. What in the hell was Audeze even thinking? Is the "first on-ear planar" boast really that important to them? It's like the marketing department insisted on that, because they're lousy at their jobs or something. I always wonder how many sales that mistake cost them. It nearly cost them MY sale, before I remembered that creative people can always rise above such silly limitations :wink:

Now, if I could just find a 3.5mm mono plug that will fit...or maybe I'll just have to dremel down ones I already have....
May you show us some pictures with the M4U1 pads?

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #3,284 of 4,783

But man those stock on-ear pads really are awful though. I didn't even make it through two paragraphs before eagerly switching back. What in the hell was Audeze even thinking? Is the "first on-ear planar" boast really that important to them? It's like the marketing department insisted on that, because they're lousy at their jobs or something. I always wonder how many sales that mistake cost them. It nearly cost them MY sale, before I remembered that creative people can always rise above such silly limitations
wink.gif

Interesting, could you post the link where to get PSB M4U1 pads? Thanks

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #3,285 of 4,783
Interesting, could you post the link where to get PSB M4U1 pads? Thanks

Mine came with the M4U 1 when I bought it :wink: so my google-fu isn't going to be any better than yours in this case. I'm pretty sure PSB sells replacements themselves.

Of course, I have my M4U 1 listed in the for sale forum with the newer pads attached (I'm keeping the old ones), so you can get the pads AND the headphone for the low low price of $100!

I joke, but considering a new pair of pads typically runs ~$40-$50 anyway, getting a pair of quite good dynamics to go with it for another $50 isn't really a bad deal at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back