Audeze SINE Series
Nov 29, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #2,881 of 4,783
Does anyone knows how they compare to the p7?

Im currently on the fence between these two.

What is the P7?
Sorry I am not up to speed...
Edit:
If your talking about the old B&W P7 ,
That unit is more a fashion statement than anything competitive.
Yet For portability, personal taste rules.

The top portables for sound are Audeze Sine, Hifiman ED S, OPPO, and some Audio Technica.

They edge out over a literall sea of other portables.. in that class.
So I am sure I missed some.

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #2,882 of 4,783
Does anyone knows how they compare to the p7?

Im currently on the fence between these two.

I prefer Sine. Listened to p7 some time ago and it was darker and more veiled than Sine.
p7 may be more comfy but I wouldn't trade it for the joy Sine gives me in daily listening.

See also:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-32-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #2,883 of 4,783
So I would like to get an amp for my Sines, I like the ease of using the Cipher cable (which I would still need to get), but have also read on here the option of the Dragonfly Red as well as the Fiio E07k, if I recall, I can't put up the money to buy the Mojo, so I am wondering which sub $150 or so option would be the best pairing for the Sines? Also thinking of upping my budget and considering the Oppo ha2, I have a feeling the new iPhone 7-7s? May be in my future however so I know that kinda limits me. I appreciate any suggestions.

Listening mainly to Spotify @extreme 320kbits

James

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #2,884 of 4,783
So I would like to get an amp for my Sines, I like the ease of using the Cipher cable (which I would still need to get), but have also read on here the option of the Dragonfly Red as well as the Fiio E07k, if I recall, I can't put up the money to buy the Mojo, so I am wondering which sub $150 or so option would be the best pairing for the Sines? Also thinking of upping my budget and considering the Oppo ha2, I have a feeling the new iPhone 7-7s? May be in my future however so I know that kinda limits me. I appreciate any suggestions.

Listening mainly to Spotify @extreme 320kbits

James

I am using the Cayin C5 + Hifime sabre 9018 DAC with the Sine and very satisfied with this combo. I haven't heard the Fiio E07k, but tried the E7 (previous version) with Sine and it is significantly inferior than the cipher in imaging and resolution and bass impact.

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #2,885 of 4,783
So i watched a youtube review on the Sine, and the guy on the video said that these are like 40$ hp w/o the cipher cable/amp.

I currently own a galaxy s7 edge and i cant afford buying an amp.

Should i still get them?
Does anybody here uses them straight from a smartphone and can shed some light on the above statement?

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #2,886 of 4,783
So i watched a youtube review on the Sine, and the guy on the video said that these are like 40$ hp w/o the cipher cable/amp.

I currently own a galaxy s7 edge and i cant afford buying an amp.

Should i still get them?
Does anybody here uses them straight from a smartphone and can shed some light on the above statement?

I tried the Sine directly with iphone and didn't like the sound at all, particularly after hearing through the cipher. If thats what you are going to use, there is not really any justification in spending $400+ on these headphones. On the other hand, if you can spare about $130, there are great choices from cayin and Fiio that would work magic with these headphones, or look out for a used Fiio E12 on head-fi classifieds for about $80. In short, if you cannot use the cipher, you do need an amp, otherwise money better spent elsewhere.

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #2,887 of 4,783
Thanks sup27606 , I was curious if anyone can rate the cipher cable in overall sound quality Improvement as compared to the Dragonfly, or Fiio e12, other in that price range, just trying to determine if you are going to invest $150 or so, are you best to just get the Cipher cable, or are the other amp/DAC upgrades significantly better?

James

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #2,888 of 4,783
Thanks sup27606 , I was curious if anyone can rate the cipher cable in overall sound quality Improvement as compared to the Dragonfly, or Fiio e12, other in that price range, just trying to determine if you are going to invest $150 or so, are you best to just get the Cipher cable, or are the other amp/DAC upgrades significantly better?

James

If you use apple products, it is great to get the cipher cable (its $50 extra not $150) since it does not add any more bulk to portable gear and sounds decent, without the hastle of charging etc. On the other hand, high powered dedicated amps almost always sound better than the cipher in terms of spaciousness, instrument separation and resolution. That includes the Fiio E12 which I had the opportunity to audition and compare to the cipher. The Cayin C5 sounds even better than the Fiio E12 IMO. I haven't heard the Dragonfly red or black.

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #2,889 of 4,783
If you use apple products, it is great to get the cipher cable (its $50 extra not $150) since it does not add any more bulk to portable gear and sounds decent, without the hastle of charging etc. On the other hand, high powered dedicated amps almost always sound better than the cipher in terms of spaciousness, instrument separation and resolution. That includes the Fiio E12 which I had the opportunity to audition and compare to the cipher. The Cayin C5 sounds even better than the Fiio E12 IMO. I haven't heard the Dragonfly red or black.

Well I made the mistake of purchasing the non-cipher version, so I would still need to go out and get a cipher cable as an accessory. The E12 is a curious option, I am really thinning out my herd so I would like to simplify and just get the cipher to work with my iPhone, but I'm intrigued by the idea that the e12 might be significantly better sounding than the cipher.

I'm hoping someone chimes in with a dragonfly red impression.

James

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #2,890 of 4,783
Well I made the mistake of purchasing the non-cipher version, so I would still need to go out and get a cipher cable as an accessory. The E12 is a curious option, I am really thinning out my herd so I would like to simplify and just get the cipher to work with my iPhone, but I'm intrigued by the idea that the e12 might be significantly better sounding than the cipher.

I'm hoping someone chimes in with a dragonfly red impression.

James

I got the brainwavz angled ear pads. It's a whole new headphone. I'd recommend starting there, angled or not. The sines as an over ear headphone goes up 3 notches imho. Makes the difference between cipher and non cipher negligeable. It's wider, more extended and dynamic.

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #2,891 of 4,783
I got the brainwavz angled ear pads. It's a whole new headphone. I'd recommend starting there, angled or not. The sines as an over ear headphone goes up 3 notches imho. Makes the difference between cipher and non cipher negligeable. It's wider, more extended and dynamic.

I agree, I actually purchased the Custom leather ones from vesper audio, like you mentioned made a difference, they are great. Now that they are much more comfortable, I find myself using them at home as well, I like the idea though of being able to listen in any room in my house or in the backyard on a hammock instead of being chained to my desktop amp. So now I want to get that final missing piece.

James

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #2,892 of 4,783
I agree, I actually purchased the Custom leather ones from vesper audio, like you mentioned made a difference, they are great. Now that they are much more comfortable, I find myself using them at home as well, I like the idea though of being able to listen in any room in my house or in the backyard on a hammock instead of being chained to my desktop amp. So now I want to get that final missing piece.

James

Ah great! Then you already know the transformation...
I have an e12. Pretty clean and solid lil amp! I use it for the bass boost for ether c's and mojo when portable. The sine's don't really need any bass boost but it should drive them really well. Haven't tried the cayin but the e12 sounds good to me. I do think the cipher sounds better than the onboard iPhone dac plus the eq can be useful. My eq settings are flat after changing the ear pads though...

Nov 30, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #2,893 of 4,783
I tried the Sine directly with iphone and didn't like the sound at all, particularly after hearing through the cipher. If thats what you are going to use, there is not really any justification in spending $400+ on these headphones. On the other hand, if you can spare about $130, there are great choices from cayin and Fiio that would work magic with these headphones, or look out for a used Fiio E12 on head-fi classifieds for about $80. In short, if you cannot use the cipher, you do need an amp, otherwise money better spent elsewhere.

Thanks for the response.
What about plugging them into you laptop? The cipher cant help you there, so you need an amp either way?

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #2,894 of 4,783
Thanks for the response.
What about plugging them into you laptop? The cipher cant help you there, so you need an amp either way?

That's correct. You need an amp pretty much anywhere except apple iOS devices/cipher. If I am going to buy $500 headphones, I would like to use them everywhere, not just with my phone. Also the Sine scales up really well with quality amps. It also appreciates high power. The Audeze website says 500 mW - 1 W is the optimal power range for Sine to sound the best. Not many <$200 amps provide that kind of power. Fiio E12 and Cayin C5 are among the handful of them that do.

Nov 30, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #2,895 of 4,783

50 box solution.
Nobsound NS08.
No brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back