Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jul 17, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #6,107 of 7,196
You're welcome. I'm aware Audeze make replacements in a few different colours including grey. Like you I'm a slightly older gamer (41) so I prefer to tone it down as well. So there is that option in regards to colour, you can also stock up if you can find them for a reasonable price.

Here's the link of a stockist supplying replacement pads for £20. Otherwise they seem to be around £30 generally. You'll notice these are for the Mobius, they're the same pads and will fit.
https://www.analogueseduction.net/headphones-headphone-cable-accessories/AUDCarbon.html

If you are looking at changing pads, it's usually a good idea to swap like for like in terms of material. Even adding more depth to an earpad can drastically change the tuning. There's the odd occasion where the change is welcome, but there will always be a change.

The Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 are a great example, no one has been able to find a replacement for the stock pads that sound as good. But the stock pads wear quite quickly so you end up buying a new set every year or two.

Check they have then before ordering... I ordered and they were surprised to learn Audeze stopped making spares and couldn't get hold of them. If they do have please ping back

Jul 17, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #6,110 of 7,196
Speaking of breathable pads and other QoL improvements...
IMG_1941.jpg

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #6,111 of 7,196
Someone on Reddit posted their solution to connection issues:

1626601627214.png

"a 2M usb extension for the receiver, attached at a high place on the wall.
Not pretty, but works amazing"

It's actually worth trying out something similar just to figure out if interference from nearby devices is causing issues.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #6,113 of 7,196

1626601627214.png

It's actually worth trying out something similar just to figure out if interference from nearby devices is causing issues.
I've got an extension like that that brings it across the room for it to sit right next to me. It's sad that I have to do it, but it works. I have a love hate relationship with these headphones. I just bought some Beoplay Portals and to me they don't sound as good as the Penrose X nor are they anywhere as loud. The other issue I have is a crinkle/crackle sound in the left ear cups. It's very distracting especially when trying to game. I'll have to check with support and see if they can get fixed. If I could mix the connectivity and polish of the Beoplay portals with the sound and volume of the Penrose, I'd be in heaven. I'd honestly even be willing to pay for a "higher end" Penrose if the reason for the shortcomings is the cost concerns.

Also, anyone know when we're getting another firmware update? Bluetooth phone calls are too quiet on this new update in comparison to the game audio and there's no way to quickly adjust the volume in the middle of the call. Also I'm still having to open the app for the game chat balance since they didn't switch the way you change it. These feel beta and are still great. Give me a $500 pair with no shortcomings, and I'm all over them.

Jul 19, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #6,114 of 7,196
Thank you for those suggestions. We'll pass them up to engineering for review. Regarding the noise you're hearing, my best guess is that it's not the product of a stretched membrane, but rather the issue is likely to be a byproduct of the wireless transmission itself. This is something we've heard scattered reports of, but it unfortunately doesn't appear to be something we're able to eliminate entirely as it's endemic to the chipsets that are currently available to us. In addition, due to the accuracy of our drivers being able to reproduce this sound more than would be apparent on other wireless systems running similar chips, we cannot rely on the same solutions other manufacturers have used for this particular problem.

Regarding your suggestions specifically, it may please you to know that we already have a form of your suggestion in place. If you swivel the earcup down on your Penrose, you should see three small vent holes underneath the curved "C" shaped yoke. These vents help prevent the drivers from being damaged due to overpressurization in the earcup. Stretched membranes are something that can happen over time on planar magnetic headphones due to our unique driver design, however, this is usually only an issue when it comes to extreme cases, and a slight pressure on the diaphragm will not change the sound in a measurable way (unless it's being stretched far more than it's intended to, like if you push the headphones down on your head and create a very high pressure region inside the earcup).

While it can be mildly bothersome to a few listeners, this issue is not harmful to your headphones and you're free to continue using them. Normal audio should completely mask the issue for the time being. If you feel the issue may be present to a degree that we would not consider normal, please email support@audeze.com and we can look into getting those headphones back to us for inspection"
Um, not sure if I got a manufacturing defect then or not, but my right earcup has those 3 holes under both sides of the "C" and the left earcup doesn't have any...

Jul 19, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #6,116 of 7,196
I pre-ordered the Penrose probably about a year ago when the release date was supposed to be September 2020. Eventually I received mine in December if 2020 and I have used it many times since. Honestly it was my first introduction into higher quality headphones and my first planar headphone. I was impressed with the sound quality and the connectivity. Recently I decided that the pads were not comfortable compared to some of my other headphones and I ordered some replacement pads. I'm not too worried about sound degradation because I have other headphones for pure music listening now with a dedication setup. I look forward to trying out the new pads when they arrive and hopefully they increase the comfort while playing games.

Jul 19, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #6,117 of 7,196

1626601627214.png

higher speed USB C Ports are well known for causing interference on WiFi band. This would make sense in that context.

Jul 19, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #6,118 of 7,196
Um, not sure if I got a manufacturing defect then or not, but my right earcup has those 3 holes under both sides of the "C" and the left earcup doesn't have any...

isn't there gaps around the volume+mic wheels and even the USB and headphone ports?

That's what I assumed those holes were actually for when I first got the headset and I'd imagine (hope) that Audeze tuned size and placement for those more scientifically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back