Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jul 6, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #6,076 of 7,191
This may or may not help Audeze in their efforts to fix the noise in the left earcup but here is an observation:

After a night with the PC off... turn the PC on in the morning, for the first 10 mins or so there is no noise in the left earcup for me whatsoever. Repeatable across multiple days.

Jul 6, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #6,077 of 7,191
This may or may not help Audeze in their efforts to fix the noise in the left earcup but here is an observation:

After a night with the PC off... turn the PC on in the morning, for the first 10 mins or so there is no noise in the left earcup for me whatsoever. Repeatable across multiple days.
Just a thought but what happens if you unplug and replug the transmitter? I frequently move mine and don't get the hissing

Jul 7, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #6,078 of 7,191
If I connect the wireless dongle to an iPad Pro will I get true lossless sound from Apple Music?

Attachments

• ipad.jpg
    ipad.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jul 7, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #6,080 of 7,191
I received the replacement headset from audeze. They have great customer service. This is my third penrose. The range is about 10 feet then it disconnects from ps5. The orher two had about 6-7 feet wireless range. I still don't understand how audeze was not able to address the wireless range on the penrose. I game in my room and I sit about 3-4 feet away from PS5 so for me range is not an issue.

I have been using the warm preset from the audeze preset downloads. To my ears the penrose stock sound is sharp and earpiercing. The penrose do sound great once you adjust the EQ and the Mic functions well for me. In honesty I would not recommend the penrose. The audio quality is good but the headset has too many quirks. I do regret paying $300 plus tax for these but I will continue to use them and hopefully they will continue to release firmware updates that will improve the headset. This isn't a bad headset and once I found a good audio preset for them I was happy with the audio. I think at $300 there are better options for console players. I wanted a nice headset for Battlefield 2042 on PS5. The audeze does perform well with PS5 3d audio. I get no complaints on the Mic quality also. Comfort me is good not amazing but I can wear them for 2-3 hours and they don't really bother me besides sweaty ears.

How are you guys liking this headset so far?

Jul 8, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #6,082 of 7,191
I received the replacement headset from audeze. They have great customer service. This is my third penrose. The range is about 10 feet then it disconnects from ps5. The orher two had about 6-7 feet wireless range. I still don't understand how audeze was not able to address the wireless range on the penrose. I game in my room and I sit about 3-4 feet away from PS5 so for me range is not an issue.

I have been using the warm preset from the audeze preset downloads. To my ears the penrose stock sound is sharp and earpiercing. The penrose do sound great once you adjust the EQ and the Mic functions well for me. In honesty I would not recommend the penrose. The audio quality is good but the headset has too many quirks. I do regret paying $300 plus tax for these but I will continue to use them and hopefully they will continue to release firmware updates that will improve the headset. This isn't a bad headset and once I found a good audio preset for them I was happy with the audio. I think at $300 there are better options for console players. I wanted a nice headset for Battlefield 2042 on PS5. The audeze does perform well with PS5 3d audio. I get no complaints on the Mic quality also. Comfort me is good not amazing but I can wear them for 2-3 hours and they don't really bother me besides sweaty ears.

I've had a similar experience to you. I've shared my thoughts before but here's a more detailed writeup after almost 6 months of use. I use it every day, for work video calls, music and gaming. And I'm on my second Penrose (RMA'd the first one because of the wooshing sound issue, but it didn't improve).

Sound: I find the sound quality is great, (note I'm not an ultra-discerning audiophile) and it's great to not have to shell out for a DAC as I didn't have one until recently. I agree with the sharp, ear-piercing sound and have EQ'd the highs downwards a bit to compensate. I didn't have this problem with my first Penrose. And there is the wooshing issue I've complained about many times here, it's a sound only in the left earcup, it is present for a few minutes then goes away for a while. While I don't notice it unless there is quiet, it's really disappointing for a headset of this calibre and the first thing I would change.
Mic: The mic quality seems really good when I test it, and I don't get complaints on calls except on Discord where a few friends say it sounds distorted and low quality. Don't know why, and others in the same group call don't get that. I really like that it has sidetone, that the mic is detachable, and the mic seems to be good at capturing my voice and not ambient noises.
Wireless: The main selling point of the Penrose, that you pay much more for is to get a headset with low-latency wireless suitable for gaming, and it does that well. I can play competitive FPS without noticing any latency. Range is a bit disappointing as I can't leave my small room without crackling/disconnects.
Comfort: Both Penrose sets feel painfully tight to wear for the first month, but after that the headband loosens and I find it very comfortable to wear for many hours, though I did buy Dekoni Nuggetz to add padding to the headband.
Device support: iPhone and Macbook Pro users such as myself have a few compromises; there's only AAC bluetooth support, there's no iPhone app, and there wasn't a macOS app until recently. Works great for gaming on Windows PC and Switch.
Battery: It promises 15 hours but I don't think mine makes half that. At least it can charge while I'm wearing it.
Usability: The controls are not perfect. Somehow I accidentally turn down the mic volume, which makes for the odd confusing call. There's quite a few combinations of buttons for various features, which can be hard to remember.

I enjoy using them, but I can't recommend them - if someone would ask, I'd tell them to look for a wired headset. If there's another iteration by Audeze on these that addresses these issues, I'd be all over it.

Jul 9, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #6,083 of 7,191

I echo your sentiment. Like I said before, this feels like a beta product when it comes to usability.

EDIT: I should be clear that I'm on my first pair without hardware issues.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #6,085 of 7,191
Have had these for a little over 7 months now. Haven't been gaming as much lately, so been using them for listening to music in bed via bluetooth mostly, and still find them highly enjoyable. Best closed back headphone I've had in terms of sound quality, and I find them very comfortable.

There are minor niggles though. Mine have also developed that planar crinkle in one of the cups, but it doesn't affect the sound at all, and my previous pair of Audeze Sines also had this issue, which I understand may be related to humidity, who knows? I've also had occasional disconnects with the dongle, but it has been few and far between.

All in all, still happy with my purchase after 7 months, and they make a good contrast to my focal clears which are my main headphones for dedicated music listening at my desk. The penrose are really nice for movies as well

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #6,086 of 7,191
Have had these for a little over 7 months now. Haven't been gaming as much lately, so been using them for listening to music in bed via bluetooth mostly, and still find them highly enjoyable. Best closed back headphone I've had in terms of sound quality, and I find them very comfortable.

There are minor niggles though. Mine have also developed that planar crinkle in one of the cups, but it doesn't affect the sound at all, and my previous pair of Audeze Sines also had this issue, which I understand may be related to humidity, who knows? I've also had occasional disconnects with the dongle, but it has been few and far between.

All in all, still happy with my purchase after 7 months, and they make a good contrast to my focal clears which are my main headphones for dedicated music listening at my desk. The penrose are really nice for movies as well
Maybe consider getting that crinkle sorted via your warranty if you have one, just in case it deteriorates.

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #6,087 of 7,191
Maybe consider getting that crinkle sorted via your warranty if you have one, just in case it deteriorates.
Not sure what Audeze's policy is regarding shipping costs, because from South Africa it worked out quite pricy when I bought them initially. Bought them directly from Audeze so the warranty is still in place

Jul 13, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #6,088 of 7,191
So I'm in the process of moving and stripping down some of my gear as part of the packing process. This led me to plugging in my Audeze USB receiver into a different port, the key difference is that this time it's surrounded by other USB cables, and lo and behold I get the repeated "connected" messages. My guess is that some of these issues aren't related to wifi but to poorly shielded USB cables.

For people experincing these connection issues, perhaps try a USB extension cable to move the USB receiver away from other devices.

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #6,089 of 7,191
@dingeth your impressions mimic mine.
I’ve had my Penrose for over a month now. The headband has broken in well and feels very comfortable now. I’ve put upward of 100 hours on it, and the sound has settled in well. I felt the gently warm preset works best, as warm preset felt “too warm” and lost a few details as well. I primarily use mine with PS5 and music listening with my iPhone, since it benefits due to AAC playback. I have changed my ear pads to Brain Wavz Micro Suede pads, which feel so plush and comfortable, I can easily wear them for up to 4-5 hours in a go, without the least amount of sweating/pressure. The stock earpads are strictly average, and would suggest replacing them at the earliest :)

In my collection, I have/had
- Hifiman HE1000 v2
- Audeze LCD X
- Sennheiser HD650
- Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon
Compared to these afore mentioned wired headphones, I definitely don’t feel I’m losing a lot over sound quality with the Audeze Penrose.

In fact, it’s easier to just put them on, take your phone and play music rather than sitting down at a desk turning on the amp/DAC, turning on the computer and selecting songs to listen to.

If I have to put it in numbers, the overall audio fidelity of the Penrose would be around 80% of the best of my other headphones. I guess a lot of that is contributed by the large planar drivers and proprietary Audeze Magnet tech.

Battery life is roughly 9-10 hours for me, before I hear the low battery warning and charging takes 3 hours with my Samsung 45W charger.
I had the Sony 1000 XM3 headphones in the past, It cost roughly the same price as the Penrose in my Country (India). In comparison, the Sony is not even close in terms of comfort and Sound Quality.

So, to wrap it up, the Audeze Penrose is the best Audio purchase of the year for me.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #6,090 of 7,191
I have changed my ear pads to Brain Wavz Micro Suede pads, which feel so plush and comfortable, I can easily wear them for up to 4-5 hours in a go, without the least amount of sweating/pressure. The stock earpads are strictly average, and would suggest replacing them at the earliest :)

Hi, could you tell me how you put these ear pads on?
Is there a video out there maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back