Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
May 28, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #5,986 of 7,191
Yikes. Now i'm starting to worry. Guess I might just have to fall back on the wired DT770(80ohm), because i just dont think the Arctis Pro Wireless will deliver in the sound department.
The Philips SHP9500 is a fantastic headphone for the price. Punches hugely above its weight. Try it from Amazon, you can always send it back if you don't like it. Driven very easily by a controller.

May 29, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #5,987 of 7,191
The Philips SHP9500 is a fantastic headphone for the price. Punches hugely above its weight. Try it from Amazon, you can always send it back if you don't like it. Driven very easily by a controller.

Thanks for the recommendation, but those are open back and I'm trying to avoid sound leaking. Audeze still hasn't shipped out my Penrose yet. And due to covid times, i'm sure there will be a bit of a delay.

If the Penrose are a bust in regards to excess drop outs, crackling and whooshing, i might take a look at the Arctis Pro Wireless instead. But i get the feeling the audio just wont stack up to either my DT770's or Penrose.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #5,989 of 7,191
Played last night for a few hours. I did notice some very low sounding crackling. I am not sure if this is from connection issues or from the actual driver. I was reading that this can be normal with planar magnetic drivers if air is trapped between the magnets. I was sitting about 4 feet away from PS5. I didn't get any disconnections while playing also. I am just gonna keep using for another week and then decide if will return them.

The first penrose I had back in Dec 2020 would constantly disconnect like every few minutes which was the main reason I returned them back to Audeze. I only heard the low crackle sound when no audio would be playing. Also there is very little white noise. Majority of all wireless headsets have white noise so I was surprised that the penrose has barely any. Well at least this set does not realluly have any, I can't speak for others who own the penrose.

May 30, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #5,990 of 7,191
thiers this new wierd bug im experiencing connecting bluetooth to my andriod phone, i press the button to go bluetooth on the penrose and it connects to my phone, but no sound nothing, and if i press it again i can hear the sound briefly but now goes to aux

May 31, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #5,992 of 7,191
Since the latest update, I can’t connect via bluetooth with my Mac without first cycling through AUX, wireless and then bluetooth. I used to switch bluetooth from Mac to iPhone and back and forth seamlessly before the update, but now this is so tiresome.

When using bluetooth and wireless, max volume when stopping a video on bluetooth is now happening frequently more. I counted it happening 6-8 times at once stage - I had to wait for it to stop before I could just read what I needed to. It’s now becoming a potential health problem if I’m not ready to press play again. Before the update, this would happen once and never again while the Penrose stayed on.

My quality of life with the Penrose has dropped drastically since the latest update with no change in usage.

@Audeze Are you aware of these issues?

Jun 1, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #5,993 of 7,191
Since the latest update, I can’t connect via bluetooth with my Mac without first cycling through AUX, wireless and then bluetooth. I used to switch bluetooth from Mac to iPhone and back and forth seamlessly before the update, but now this is so tiresome.

When using bluetooth and wireless, max volume when stopping a video on bluetooth is now happening frequently more. I counted it happening 6-8 times at once stage - I had to wait for it to stop before I could just read what I needed to. It’s now becoming a potential health problem if I’m not ready to press play again. Before the update, this would happen once and never again while the Penrose stayed on.

My quality of life with the Penrose has dropped drastically since the latest update with no change in usage.

@Audeze Are you aware of these issues?
Have you emailed support@audeze with this issue ? Message me your ticket number and we will followup not his.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jun 2, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #5,994 of 7,191
Played last night for a few hours. I did notice some very low sounding crackling. I am not sure if this is from connection issues or from the actual driver. I was reading that this can be normal with planar magnetic drivers if air is trapped between the magnets. I was sitting about 4 feet away from PS5. I didn't get any disconnections while playing also. I am just gonna keep using for another week and then decide if will return them.

The first penrose I had back in Dec 2020 would constantly disconnect like every few minutes which was the main reason I returned them back to Audeze. I only heard the low crackle sound when no audio would be playing. Also there is very little white noise. Majority of all wireless headsets have white noise so I was surprised that the penrose has barely any. Well at least this set does not realluly have any, I can't speak for others who own the penrose.
I received my 2nd headset yesterday, I was going to post the exact same message

I still love the sound of this headset so I have to sell my Astro a50 because I think I’ll keep the penrose x this time.

I have some difficulties to adjust the balance between game and chat, maybe am I missing something?

I’m looking for good presets for Xbox (destiny 2 principally), any advice ?

Jun 3, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #5,997 of 7,191
I had my pair for a bit now. No real issues. The first closed back that I don't find annoying? Sounds signature is alright, so Music sounds good too. Haven't really had much problem with connectivity, but it does seem that the connection is pretty fragile. There is some hiss, but most wireless headsets have one, but it's not bad.

Jun 3, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #5,998 of 7,191
I had my pair for a bit now. No real issues. The first closed back that I don't find annoying? Sounds signature is alright, so Music sounds good too. Haven't really had much problem with connectivity, but it does seem that the connection is pretty fragile. There is some hiss, but most wireless headsets have one, but it's not bad.
Mine have been good too, they were a bit tight for first 3weeks but have eased off now and are better.

Jun 3, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #5,999 of 7,191
Mine have been good too, they were a bit tight for first 3weeks but have eased off now and are better.
My head is tiny and I literally have them on the smallest adjustment. I don't find them too tight, on the tighter side, but not clamping on your head exactly. Surprisingly comfortable. Albeit, I do feel them after 2-3 hours... Not enough to want to throw them off your head, I seem to head for the doors with them on at times.

Jun 3, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #6,000 of 7,191
Yes i also have them full collapsed and dont need to extend the ear cups, i do wear glasses though and did find them a bit uncomfortable at first but they seem to have eased now and can wear them for several hours at a time no issues. They can get a little sweaty but nothing major.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back