Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Apr 29, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #5,806 of 7,191
We just released a new HQ version for Mac and Windows (2.1.53), and a Penrose firmware update (0.1.10).
An Android HQ update is coming soon, but you can install the new FW using the existing Android app.

In order to have full functionality of the updates via HQ, you must first install the new HQ app, then run the FW update as described here: https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...your-Penrose-Firmware-using-the-Audeze-HQ-App

And here are the changes you've all been waiting for. Drum roll please....
  • Adds a volume mix function for simultaneous BT/wireless connections. This can be used to adjust the relative levels on the fly while in Bluetooth mode by performing a "click and scroll" of the headphone volume wheel (click once and then scroll up or down to your preferred mix).
  • Makes several improvements to the mic quality and clarity over wireless.
  • Adds an on-the-fly sidetone on/off functionality to the headphones by pressing and holding the mic wheel for ~3 seconds (with voice cues).
  • Adds an on-the-fly EQ preset toggle that will cycle through the 5 presets in memory by holding in the volume wheel for ~3 seconds (with voice cues).
  • Fixes a bug that caused the low battery warning to trigger too early. It should now only prompt at 10% battery remaining (about one hour of normal use).

For up to date info on what the desktop HQ app is able to control, please see this article: https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...deze-HQ-App-on-a-Computer-or-an-Android-phone

Are we still going to get the chat mix/mic level wheel functions swapped at some point? That is by miles the most troublesome thing (for me at least) about this headset.

Every time I end up changing my mic sensitivity accidentally I have to link to Bluetooth on my phone so I can open the app and find out where the level is now at so I can fix it. This is made even worse because with my particular Penrose X unit being connected to Bluetooth increases both the volume and rate of occurrence for the whistle/whatever sound, so then once I'm done I have to cycle to aux and then back to wireless only mode to break the Bluetooth connection. Until of course I accidentally change it again when just wishing to change chat mix and then that whole process repeats...

I'm willing to give up a lot for good sound, but having a feature that needs to be used frequently on console platforms be difficult and unreliable to operate is incredibly frustrating.

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #5,807 of 7,191
Are we still going to get the chat mix/mic level wheel functions swapped at some point? That is by miles the most troublesome thing (for me at least) about this headset.

Every time I end up changing my mic sensitivity accidentally I have to link to Bluetooth on my phone so I can open the app and find out where the level is now at so I can fix it. This is made even worse because with my particular Penrose X unit being connected to Bluetooth increases both the volume and rate of occurrence for the whistle/whatever sound, so then once I'm done I have to cycle to aux and then back to wireless only mode to break the Bluetooth connection. Until of course I accidentally change it again when just wishing to change chat mix and then that whole process repeats...

I'm willing to give up a lot for good sound, but having a feature that needs to be used frequently on console platforms be difficult and unreliable to operate is incredibly frustrating.
I feel exactly the same. Worse for me due to not having Android as well.
For me it only seems to work correctly half the time at that.
Please @Audeze give us the option to swap functionality of this dial in the next update. I’d have a near perfect headset then.

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #5,808 of 7,191
I should’ve waited for your samples before I updated this morning. IMO the new mic sample sounds nasally and compressed. :frowning2:
The overwhelming feedback from the community was that there was too much low end in the mic sound (ie: too "muddy" sounding), and because of this the mic didn't cut through during game play. The way to get more presence is to boost the top end and cut the lows. (Also my voice is kind of nasal :L3000:)

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #5,814 of 7,191
My replacement Penrose arrived, and it still has a loud white noise... Is it the case of all units ?
I got mine replaced and the new unit has similar white noise (which I hear only when sidetone is enabled and mic switch is set to unmute) and left-cup wooshing (intermittent).

For the white noise, I flick the mic switch to unmute when I am taking calls or gaming with the mic and this is a tolerable workaround, since in those cases I don't notice the white noise. You could try turning off sidetone but I find it weird for talking

Apr 30, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #5,815 of 7,191
The overwhelming feedback from the community was that there was too much low end in the mic sound (ie: too "muddy" sounding), and because of this the mic didn't cut through during game play. The way to get more presence is to boost the top end and cut the lows. (Also my voice is kind of nasal :L3000:)
With the noise suppression enabled in discord, the new mic audio is good now. No further changes required there I would say.

Left ear cup hiss is an essential fix though, please work on that.

For example there can be 10-15 mins at a time when I find myself wearing the headset without taking it off and no audio.

Then volume granularity... at that point I will duck out and call these great.

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #5,818 of 7,191
Has anyone sent their Penrose back in the last month for RMA and got a replacement yet? Mine were delivered to them on March 26 but I haven’t received a shipping email yet. I contacted them a few weeks ago and they said it may be closer to the end of the month and here we are at the end of the month and I haven’t heard anything.

Apr 30, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #5,819 of 7,191
Glad to see some improvements being made on these. Will there be any changes to the game/chat mix function? I see plenty of others complaining about how this functions so I won't dwell on it but it is the main reason I returned the Penrose.

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #5,820 of 7,191
Has anyone sent their Penrose back in the last month for RMA and got a replacement yet? Mine were delivered to them on March 26 but I haven’t received a shipping email yet. I contacted them a few weeks ago and they said it may be closer to the end of the month and here we are at the end of the month and I haven’t heard anything.
Mine went back in February and took about a 1.5 months to get the replacement; they were having inventory shortages from what they communicated. If you haven't already, I would check in with them for a status.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back