Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
May 2, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #5,826 of 7,191
@hedfreq you stated "overwhelming feedback from the community was that there was too much low end in the mic sound (ie: too "muddy" sounding)...."
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-penrose-x-and-penrose.937477/page-388

That might have been one common / recurring feedback. But no more overwhelming than the constant request for the game/chat mix function to be changed.

@KMann
Response to Game / Chat Mix Request
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-penrose-x-and-penrose.937477/page-339#post-16174169

Did I / we (the community) misinterpret something. When you stated "switching to the requested behavior of the gain dial is quite simple, it has not been released yet because in addition to the gain dial change, we are also in the process of adding other requested features such as:...." Unless I misread or failed to correctly understand your response.. this gave the impression that the Game / Chat Mix function would be updated.

@Audeze , I respectfully encourage anyone to read through this entire forum, specifically after the Penrose was officially released and shipped. You will see numerous / overwhelming feedback in regards to having the Game / Chat mix function changed.

Unfortunately, I don't have a nice / polite way to put it. It really sucks, that this function / feature was not changed in the recent update. And I think many others agree. It's very off-putting, when shared community feedback is overlooked. Or at very least not address in a pro-active way.

I respect and understand Audeze has had to deal with / overcome a lot in regards to the Penrose release. Nothing has been easy on companies this past year. But things have not been to pleasant for the end user / customer as well.
- Penrose missed launch / release window, missed dates, and missed shipping dates
- Penrose firmware test, that literally bricked customer headsets
- A significantly delayed initial Penrose firmware release / update (was supposed to Feb, then March, then April, pretty much took till May )
- A now a Penrose firmware release, that overlooks a highly requested feature by the community

At the end of the day, this gives the paying customer, very little confidence that their input / feedback matters. And only encourages the end user / customer to shift their future Headphone / Gaming Headset / Audio purchases to another company.

I'm well beyond my return / refund window, but if I wasn't I would highly consider purchasing another companies headset. It may suck to hear that, but I truly believe as a company, it's something you should hear / know. Sorry, not trying to be disrespectful, just trying to be honest. I'm not angry, just very disappointed. I'm done with my "SoapBox" goodnight everyone.

May 3, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #5,827 of 7,191
@hedfreq you stated "overwhelming feedback from the community was that there was too much low end in the mic sound (ie: too "muddy" sounding)...."
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-penrose-x-and-penrose.937477/page-388

That might have been one common / recurring feedback. But no more overwhelming than the constant request for the game/chat mix function to be changed.

@KMann
Response to Game / Chat Mix Request
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-penrose-x-and-penrose.937477/page-339#post-16174169

Did I / we (the community) misinterpret something. When you stated "switching to the requested behavior of the gain dial is quite simple, it has not been released yet because in addition to the gain dial change, we are also in the process of adding other requested features such as:...." Unless I misread or failed to correctly understand your response.. this gave the impression that the Game / Chat Mix function would be updated.

@Audeze , I respectfully encourage anyone to read through this entire forum, specifically after the Penrose was officially released and shipped. You will see numerous / overwhelming feedback in regards to having the Game / Chat mix function changed.

Unfortunately, I don't have a nice / polite way to put it. It really sucks, that this function / feature was not changed in the recent update. And I think many others agree. It's very off-putting, when shared community feedback is overlooked. Or at very least not address in a pro-active way.

I respect and understand Audeze has had to deal with / overcome a lot in regards to the Penrose release. Nothing has been easy on companies this past year. But things have not been to pleasant for the end user / customer as well.
- Penrose missed launch / release window, missed dates, and missed shipping dates
- Penrose firmware test, that literally bricked customer headsets
- A significantly delayed initial Penrose firmware release / update (was supposed to Feb, then March, then April, pretty much took till May )
- A now a Penrose firmware release, that overlooks a highly requested feature by the community

At the end of the day, this gives the paying customer, very little confidence that their input / feedback matters. And only encourages the end user / customer to shift their future Headphone / Gaming Headset / Audio purchases to another company.

I'm well beyond my return / refund window, but if I wasn't I would highly consider purchasing another companies headset. It may suck to hear that, but I truly believe as a company, it's something you should hear / know. Sorry, not trying to be disrespectful, just trying to be honest. I'm not angry, just very disappointed. I'm done with my "SoapBox" goodnight everyone.

Hello.
I read @Audeze earlier response as simply that they wanted to finish getting all the features onto the headset, before suggesting resources should be looking at moving features from one dial to another.

I can understand about switching the press-n-scroll behaviour. The reason is that microphone gain is something set rarely, and yet they've made it almost too easy to switch the microphone gain. I can see the value in switching the press-n-scroll and just-scroll so that adjustment of mic gain is when pressing.

But can you help me understand this better and why does switching the wheels themselves mean so much to you. From my point of view there are two wheels. One for volume and the other for microphone. What is the value in switching those? The workaround is quite simple, use the other dial, and there's no hardship in that at all.

On the other hand, accidentally nudging and reducing the gain of the mic is a pain in the arse. This is worse in my opinion because there's no immediate feedback until someone tells you that they can't hear you. But when adjusting chat mix I can imagine the feedback is immediately obvious based on what you can and cannot hear.

What do you think?

Chris

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #5,828 of 7,191
After the 1.10.0 update I have a lot of disconnections from the USB dongle, problems I didn't have before.
I turned off one of my wifi AP which was close to the device (on channel 11), and the problem disappeared. It looks like flashing the new version might have either changed the channel selection logic, or just triggered it (and that it chose a stupid one). Clearly, replugging the USB dongle does not trigger a change of channel.

May 3, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #5,829 of 7,191
Hello.
I read @Audeze earlier response as simply that they wanted to finish getting all the features onto the headset, before suggesting resources should be looking at moving features from one dial to another.

I can understand about switching the press-n-scroll behaviour. The reason is that microphone gain is something set rarely, and yet they've made it almost too easy to switch the microphone gain. I can see the value in switching the press-n-scroll and just-scroll so that adjustment of mic gain is when pressing.

But can you help me understand this better and why does switching the wheels themselves mean so much to you. From my point of view there are two wheels. One for volume and the other for microphone. What is the value in switching those? The workaround is quite simple, use the other dial, and there's no hardship in that at all.

On the other hand, accidentally nudging and reducing the gain of the mic is a pain in the arse. This is worse in my opinion because there's no immediate feedback until someone tells you that they can't hear you. But when adjusting chat mix I can imagine the feedback is immediately obvious based on what you can and cannot hear.

What do you think?

Chris
They need to change something because the way the game/chat/mic gain wheel functions now is terrible. If you've ever needed to adjust this quickly during a game (I play Pubg mainly) you'd see how poorly this works on the Penrose. It's the main reason I returned my set. If there was an iOS app to use I would've ignored the dial and did it that way.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #5,831 of 7,191
The new update is great. I really hope the pending update to the android app adds in controls for all the new functionality in this update. Especially BT/Game sound ratio mixing. It's kind of wonky to do it with the wheels, but if they enable it on the app it will be magical. I have no doubt that is on the way!

May 4, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #5,832 of 7,191
I really would like to see battery level in the app and I'm waiting for the bt-only mode, but this intermediary firmware is clearly better. Hopefully audeze will be able to deliver incremental updates faster from now on

May 4, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #5,833 of 7,191
I'm very happy with the update. Now that the muffled mic sound is fixed it's a perfect headset for me. To me it has more features that I'd even need. Thank you!

Updating via android app was easy. I'd hope the different eqs offered by Audeze would be installable trough the mobile app without downloading them from internet. Would be great if the app showed the names of the eqs also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back