Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Mar 21, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #5,491 of 7,191
Yes I have to have it about 6cm away from the corner of my mouth too, which a mic is better being as close to your mouth as possible for sound quality generally (unless I'm mistaken). I don't think I get any hiss or interference after I speak though. Im also running a PS5.
My Penrose has been flawless. Clamping force is fine (although bit of a hotspot on the top but it is much better if I move the headband forward on my head a bit), sound quality is great, and connection range is also great (I can move 2 rooms away before I have audio being to stutter in the slightest (although no "Connected" prompts even at that point).
If there was a windsock/foam that worked better for eliminating breathing, then it would make it even better.
Regarding your high range are you in an area with few radio emissions (e.g. countryside)? I live in a very dense area (especially 2.4 ghz spectrum) and can just move a few meters (e.g. 3/4 meters) before I get the dreadful "connected" loop

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #5,492 of 7,191
Regarding your high range are you in an area with few radio emissions (e.g. countryside)? I live in a very dense area (especially 2.4 ghz spectrum) and can just move a few meters (e.g. 3/4 meters) before I get the dreadful "connected" loop
I wouldn’t say I’m in the countryside but in a housing estate about 5mins drive from our town. I have a security system with 2 cams and alarm that all stay connected to the 2.4hz band.
Regarding your bad connection, some people have even turned off their routers but still get the connected notification so I don’t know why that happens. So you live in a city or a block of flats/apartment ?

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #5,493 of 7,191
I wouldn’t say I’m in the countryside but in a housing estate about 5mins drive from our town. I have a security system with 2 cams and alarm that all stay connected to the 2.4hz band.
Regarding your bad connection, some people have even turned off their routers but still get the connected notification so I don’t know why that happens. So you live in a city or a block of flats/apartment ?
Yup capital city in some building. I see literally 39 different SSIDs right now on the 2.4 band... Considering this not having real usage issues is quite a feat !

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #5,494 of 7,191
I’ve now positioned the mic right at the bottom of my chin 1cm away and angled the mesh side 45degrees toward the mouth. Doesn’t pick up my breathing that way.
You are right. I agree locating Mic in front of the Mouth catches heavy breath. I also solved the problem putting Mic below my mouth in front of my Chin (lower part). Others Players have said the listen very good and no Breath at all.

Mar 22, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #5,495 of 7,191

No. We aren't super densely populated (I live in the suburbs), but certainly neighbours either side of us (bush at the back though for about 100m). That being said, we get very good 4G and 5G reception because there is a tower nearby (not sure what else is on that tower). So not really isolated, but not in the city with high-rise buildings. My PS5 is only about 1 metre away from my wireless router (on either sides of my TV) with several 2.4ghz devices (most are 5ghz though). So not sure why mine is fine and others aren't.

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #5,496 of 7,191
Hey, I'm sorry, I might be a "little" inexperienced guy in terms of sound-related hardware (I truly am, no doubt) and I do not quite understand what is the relation between what you've said and the mic monitoring function? I just want to hear my voice loud and clear so I'm not having to scream instead of talking lol. This is all I need to be perfectly happy with the headset, really.

Hi again

Not your fault. Audeze hide the instructions in the FAQ for Mobius here... sounds like you want the reverse of what is mentioned here. Increase headset gain, reduce PC microphone gain. FYI my headset is at 71% and PC at 50% (which I understand is actually no gain) and with microphone adjusted per the FAQ

Chris

https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...y-can-I-hear-my-microphone-through-my-Mobius-
https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...Some-words-about-Penrose-s-microphone-quality

Why can I hear my microphone through my Mobius?​

Customer Support
  • 4 months ago
  • Updated
Follow
Greetings fellow traveler! If you are reading this, you may be wondering why you can hear your own voice being transmitted through your Mobius headset. Don’t worry, it’s not time to increase the dosage of your Intergalactic Government Mandated Medication. What you’re hearing is neither a figment of your imagination nor an indication of malfunction within your Mobius - it’s just Sidetone!
What is Sidetone? Quite simply, sidetone is the transmission of the signal from your microphone to your headphone speakers. This feature is meant to help you determine whether or not your microphone is functioning, and to help you gauge the gain level at which it is transmitting. This is particularly useful for our Glublorkian customers, whose mouth flaps tend to make a lot of noise due to the excessive amount of moisture they produce, particularly during Summer.
If you feel sidetone is not for you, you can reduce the mic gain by spinning the Mic Volume Wheel downwards. This gain reduction has more effect on sidetone than it does on the mic's output, so your mic's output level should not be reduced much as far as what other galactic beings can hear.
We sincerely hope that you have found this article to be both informative, and helpful. If you have additional questions, please feel free to peruse the other articles in our Help Center. If you can’t find the answer there, please contact us at support@audeze.com, and one of our friendly customer support representatives will be happy to provide further assistance.

Mar 23, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #5,499 of 7,191
Hi all - has anyone had an issue where the mic suddenly stops working. Was in an important Teams meeting yesterday, connected via Bluetooth to a Windows laptop and mid call my mic just stopped working completely - audio was still fine but they just couldn't hear me? Going to see what happens today in meetings again but wondered if this was a known issue?

Mar 23, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #5,500 of 7,191
Hi again

Not your fault. Audeze hide the instructions in the FAQ for Mobius here... sounds like you want the reverse of what is mentioned here. Increase headset gain, reduce PC microphone gain. FYI my headset is at 71% and PC at 50% (which I understand is actually no gain) and with microphone adjusted per the FAQ

Chris

https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...y-can-I-hear-my-microphone-through-my-Mobius-
https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...Some-words-about-Penrose-s-microphone-quality
Hey, thanks for your response.
Yes, actually I really DO want the exact reverse of what is mentioned in the article. For me, the louder I can hear my voice inside the headset, the better. A while back whilst still using the Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless, I had my mic monitoring set up to 100%, making my voice clear&loud for myself. I loved it. Even in fast and emotional situations in CoD:Blackout, I kept my emotions down not screaming to the mic, coz I knew exactly what is the volume of my voice for my team.
As a multiplayer / FPS player where communication and fast-action is crucial, this function REALLY makes a difference for me.

Mar 23, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #5,501 of 7,191
Hi all - has anyone had an issue where the mic suddenly stops working. Was in an important Teams meeting yesterday, connected via Bluetooth to a Windows laptop and mid call my mic just stopped working completely - audio was still fine but they just couldn't hear me? Going to see what happens today in meetings again but wondered if this was a known issue?
Yes I had that issue several times. The mic volume set itself to zero each time, by itself.

Mar 23, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #5,502 of 7,191
Yes I had that issue several times. The mic volume set itself to zero each time, by itself.
I’ve been using mine for around 12 hours and the second low battery warning came up and led started flashing quicker. Turned it off last night and this morning I powered them on and tested the mic on PS5 and couldn’t get any input. Tried resetting the headset and reconnecting the mic.

Turns out it RESET my mic to 0 gain by itself. Hope Audeze are aware of this.

Mar 23, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #5,503 of 7,191

Thanks - mid meeting I didn't think to try the mic gain dial - was too busy trying to find an alternative headphone/mic so I could continue the meeting :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Hope this is something @Audeze and @AudezeGrover is aware of and can be fixed in a software update?

Mar 23, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #5,504 of 7,191
I've
I’ve been using mine for around 12 hours and the second low battery warning came up and led started flashing quicker. Turned it off last night and this morning I powered them on and tested the mic on PS5 and couldn’t get any input. Tried resetting the headset and reconnecting the mic.

Turns out it RESET my mic to 0 gain by itself. Hope Audeze are aware of this.

I've been complaining about this and I've provided screenshots of both mic gain and muting set to zero.

Audeze UK seemed to think this was outside their control and I don't know if they've fwd to @Audeze on this thread.

this doesn't happen on any of the other BT headsets that I own.

Mar 23, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #5,505 of 7,191
I've

I've been complaining about this and I've provided screenshots of both mic gain and muting set to zero.

Audeze UK seemed to think this was outside their control and I don't know if they've fwd to @Audeze on this thread.

this doesn't happen on any of the other BT headsets that I own.

Just had this happen again unfortunately mid meeting - mic suddenly cut and had to revert to another mic option I have - thought adjusting the mic gain would have got it working again but just couldn't get the mic to work at all once it dropped.

Makes these completely useless for this purpose now - essentially the mic is pointless unless connected via the dongle? Real shame, as this is an absolute deal breaker (another one - just when I'd got used to the comfort etc) - bought these as multi purpose and justified their price that way (and for the audio quality) - @Audeze - is this likely to be fixed in the imminent firmware update or should I return these again? :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back