Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Mar 23, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #5,506 of 7,191
Hi all - has anyone had an issue where the mic suddenly stops working. Was in an important Teams meeting yesterday, connected via Bluetooth to a Windows laptop and mid call my mic just stopped working completely - audio was still fine but they just couldn't hear me? Going to see what happens today in meetings again but wondered if this was a known issue?
I always had this issue during Party Games if I mess with the Dial Knobs of the Headphone. Changing Volume or Mic Gain during Party always resulted in not being listened. I solve the problem using Phone Audeze HQ app and changing variables using it instead of physical dials

Mar 23, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #5,507 of 7,191
I always had this issue during Party Games if I mess with the Dial Knobs of the Headphone. Changing Volume or Mic Gain during Party always resulted in not being listened. I solve the problem using Phone Audeze HQ app and changing variables using it instead of physical dials

Thanks - problem is, the mic just cut out before I touched anything - I only touched the dials to try to get it working again.

Mar 23, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #5,508 of 7,191
I wouldn’t say I’m in the countryside but in a housing estate about 5mins drive from our town. I have a security system with 2 cams and alarm that all stay connected to the 2.4hz band.
Regarding your bad connection, some people have even turned off their routers but still get the connected notification so I don’t know why that happens. So you live in a city or a block of flats/apartment ?
i hope audeze would stop using the 2,4ghz interference as a excuse, i have 5 wireless headset using the 2,4Ghz band, 1 logitech g933, 2x steel series arctis 7 , 1 corsair void and 1 cheapo china wireless headset and only penrose has this so called 2.4GHz thingy , and penrose is the most expensive off the 5, the china cheapo is like 10usd and doesnt have any problems with the 2.4GHz interference

Mar 23, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #5,509 of 7,191
Just had this happen again unfortunately mid meeting - mic suddenly cut and had to revert to another mic option I have - thought adjusting the mic gain would have got it working again but just couldn't get the mic to work at all once it dropped.

Makes these completely useless for this purpose now - essentially the mic is pointless unless connected via the dongle? Real shame, as this is an absolute deal breaker (another one - just when I'd got used to the comfort etc) - bought these as multi purpose and justified their price that way (and for the audio quality) - @Audeze - is this likely to be fixed in the imminent firmware update or should I return these again? :frowning2:

I have never had it mid-meeting except initially when I was trying to stretch for 2 days without charging battery overnight. (the battery alarm isn't that pre-emptive)

Which PC/hardware type and connectivity option are you using? I use regular BT (the dongle for wireless is plugged into my PS5)

Mar 23, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #5,510 of 7,191
I have never had it mid-meeting except initially when I was trying to stretch for 2 days without charging battery overnight. (the battery alarm isn't that pre-emptive)

Which PC/hardware type and connectivity option are you using? I use regular BT (the dongle for wireless is plugged into my PS5)
Just using Bluetooth to a Matebook X Pro laptop (dongle is connected to the Xbox).

Two days running it’s dropped the mic mid meeting and refused to work. I need something reliable for my meetings so hoping this can be resolved.

Mar 23, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #5,511 of 7,191
Just using Bluetooth to a Matebook X Pro laptop (dongle is connected to the Xbox).

Two days running it’s dropped the mic mid meeting and refused to work. I need something reliable for my meetings so hoping this can be resolved.
I'd raise a ticket. Also if you've had it for a while consider for Warranty reasons returning for refund and buying another (so warranty resets)

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #5,512 of 7,191
Following the instructions in the manual, I used a 5v 1amp charger and it took 5 and a half hours to charge fully from a low battery warning. Quite a difference considering it says it should take 3 hours to charge from 0 to 100%.
Do you guys think I have a dud battery?

Mar 24, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #5,513 of 7,191
Following the instructions in the manual, I used a 5v 1amp charger and it took 5 and a half hours to charge fully from a low battery warning. Quite a difference considering it says it should take 3 hours to charge from 0 to 100%.
Do you guys think I have a dud battery?

good question. How old is your headset? My first charge took an age, but subsequent ones were quicker.

Also have you tried 2A charger? 1A is quite old now given newer fast-charging methods which accelerate the charge in the earlier phase when battery can run cooler. Personally I just plug into USB on the monitor and let it charge overnight - I have no idea about amperage of the monitor but would be surprised if it wasn't 500mA

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #5,515 of 7,191
I'd raise a ticket. Also if you've had it for a while consider for Warranty reasons returning for refund and buying another (so warranty resets)
Thanks - sadly, I've requested a return once again for these to the retailer. Think my hope and purchasing (this was the 3rd attempt!!) of these is over. They sound fantastic but just too many niggles which I can't overlook when spending £300. The Mic stopping on Bluetooth is just too big an issue for me to get value out of these. In fact, testing over the past day or so has highlighted the Mic in general is really not great (despite me thinking otherwise in the past) - compared the mic quality to the £90 Official Microsoft Headset and the official one seemed much, much better (although sounded poor audio wise compared to these).

Think I'm just going to stick to a decent wired gaming set I have now (Beyerdynamic Tygr with a Vmoda mic) and just forget wireless until later this console generation.

Hopefully @Audeze get things ironed out (maybe I'll be back for the Penrose Mk2?).

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #5,516 of 7,191
Well, time has come.
By combining Audeze's absolute silence (or disastrous official responses) and my loss of patience, I decided to take the plunge.
I have ordered an used Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (V2) + Mixamp Pro TR combo to make my own comparison (sound & microphone quality).
Obviously, it stops there because we go wired. But the shortcomings of the Penrose for its price finished me off.

On these points, I will report here once the material has been tested (end of the week i guess).

OK, i received my MMX300/Astro Mixamp Pro combo (PC usage).
After few days of use, well, there is no debate, the MMX 300 is much better than the Penrose.

• mic quality is absolutly amazing, my friends are now happy to hear me on Discord.
  • the headset is WAY lighter than the Penrose (and that's obvious : no battery, less components) so the comfort is incomparable (remind : i have the headset on my head all day long). The Penrose put strong pressure on the top of my head and ended up hurting me. Its imposing format also became very inconvenient in the long run.
  • the sound quality is just as good as the wonderful sound of the Penrose (the only gold point).
  • no more issue with battery (I had to plug it in during my working day because it was not holding).

The only thing that I lose is obviously the wireless, but which sincerely implied too many problems on the Penrose (range, noises, crackles, compression...).

With a little sadness, I will therefore resell this Penrose which seemed promising but which faces too many flaws and too slow reactivity on the part of Audeze.
If wireless is not essential for you, I strongly advise you to opt for the MMX300 which is also cheaper.

Thank you all for the advices and discussions on this topic :)

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #5,517 of 7,191
I’ve been using mine for around 12 hours and the second low battery warning came up and led started flashing quicker. Turned it off last night and this morning I powered them on and tested the mic on PS5 and couldn’t get any input. Tried resetting the headset and reconnecting the mic.

Turns out it RESET my mic to 0 gain by itself. Hope Audeze are aware of this.
The timeframe for firmware updates on a new product have been a bit slow for my liking (appreciate bugs and issues take time to resolve). I went back to a wired headphone.
OK, i received my MMX300/Astro Mixamp Pro combo (PC usage).
After few days of use, well, there is no debate, the MMX 300 is much better than the Penrose.

• mic quality is absolutly amazing, my friends are now happy to hear me on Discord.
  • the headset is WAY lighter than the Penrose (and that's obvious : no battery, less components) so the comfort is incomparable (remind : i have the headset on my head all day long). The Penrose put strong pressure on the top of my head and ended up hurting me. Its imposing format also became very inconvenient in the long run.
  • the sound quality is just as good as the wonderful sound of the Penrose (the only gold point).
  • no more issue with battery (I had to plug it in during my working day because it was not holding).

The only thing that I lose is obviously the wireless, but which sincerely implied too many problems on the Penrose (range, noises, crackles, compression...).

With a little sadness, I will therefore resell this Penrose which seemed promising but which faces too many flaws and too slow reactivity on the part of Audeze.
If wireless is not essential for you, I strongly advise you to opt for the MMX300 which is also cheaper.

Thank you all for the advices and discussions on this topic :)
Completely agree with you on all points. The Sennheiser PC38X is also as good as the MMX 300, just very open as opposed to closed back.

Mar 24, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #5,519 of 7,191
Hello, no I haven’t as I followed the instruction manual that came with the Penrose. I guess the manual is wrong then?
not saying that. Just wondering that if you want to speed-up charging going to higher rated charger is the usual advice.

FYI - when wrapping up for the day - headset on 09:00 and battery level when checking plugged in for first time at 18:45.just was 15%.

A few calls this morning and back to back calls most of the afternoon. Headset set to 45mins timeout (so hasn't turned off at all since 09:00)
This feels about right as if stretched to 19:30 it would normally have cutout.

yes, less than advertised, but I feel 09:00 until 19:00 is enough for anyone to have these buggers on your head.

by the way, if it matters this was BT only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back