Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Feb 5, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #4,966 of 7,191
Might be worth checking you've not left switched on another Bluetooth device already synced with the headset. I was playing Demon's Souls last night using hifi audio but kept hearing out of corner of my ear the headset going nuts. It was constantly connecting and disconnecting. I'd left it turned on at other end of the room and connected to my laptop.
I know headset is supposed to do parallel BT and wireless, but I wonder how many issues are because of that

Yes I have done this. I'd switched it from wireless to bluetooth as I did house chores and it was constantly reconnecting. I thought the bluetooth was seriously broken (phone was in my pocket) until I realised it was reconnecting to the wireless. So it's confusing when you change source to bluetooth because it's actually adding bluetooth input.

Feb 5, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #4,969 of 7,191
We have some updates to the windows app with some requested changes, as usual you can find it and the changelog here:

https://www.audeze.com/pages/audeze-hq-software

Thank you

Changing the power-off duration was my #1 bugbear, so I am very grateful for you + team for adding that option. Setting it to 45 mins rather than the default 10 means i can now get through the whole day without the headset cutting out between calls (45 mins being my usual max between calls)

I realise you may have other priorities but my own personal #2 bugbear is the windows drivers auto-defaulting microphone to fully muted and 42 gain whenever powered on or new connection. Other headphones default to last-used state.

#3 is I'd like and not software related is that I am dead keen to buy some headset earpads. Gels and another pair of regular to have in reserve. I don't trust pleather to last more than a year or two before shedding the coating, and these headphones are a keeper so keen to get spares.

Thanks again
Chris

Feb 5, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #4,971 of 7,191

In case you still want this, I ordered this one : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00OVWQIT0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's the same but with a soft new finish, not like a old piece of leather (IMO there is no difference, it's mainly cause it was the only availablewith prime LMAO).
I am receiving it tomorrow and will do a feedback then.

Feb 5, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #4,972 of 7,191
Hi there!

I just wanted to confirm that I understand something:

If I am using the Penrose (non-X) on PC via 2.4GHz, and want to change the volume of individual applications manually through Windows (e.g., turn down a game, turn up discord, turn up spotify); doing so will have no effect? I will have to use the wheel on the headset to either turn *everything* up or down?

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #4,974 of 7,191
Anyone else get a "Low Battery" message when it's still at like 65%?

In case you still want this, I ordered this one : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00OVWQIT0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's the same but with a soft new finish, not like a old piece of leather (IMO there is no difference, it's mainly cause it was the only availablewith prime LMAO).
I am receiving it tomorrow and will do a feedback then.
Looks like that's this one for those in the US:
https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Head...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Let me know how it is! I'm thinking about picking it up as well.

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #4,975 of 7,191
So what exactly is different when buying Penrose X or Penrose? Is it strictly color scheme or is the dongle included different in some way? If I plan on getting both the PS5 and Xbox Series X, should I get one over the other?
So for now get the x and if they do change it for ps5 you can buy that dongoe for 35. Other way around the x is 50 which doesn't make sense because they charge the same for both headphones so why is that dongle 15 more. I understand has another chip in it but than the x should be 15 more to buy to start. Onky thing is stuck with the puke green color instead of the neon smurf color.

Feb 6, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #4,976 of 7,191
Anyone else get a "Low Battery" message when it's still at like 65%?

Looks like that's this one for those in the US:
https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Head...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Let me know how it is! I'm thinking about picking it up as well.

So I tried and it does not fit... I can attach it to the headband, I think the other one with an old leather finish would not fit too, because it’s 9cm and 9.5cm... and in the Penrose case, we need a minimum of 13cm to attach it. So I am really curious of what he took. (Original author)

Feb 6, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #4,977 of 7,191
So I tried and it does not fit... I can attach it to the headband, I think the other one with an old leather finish would not fit too, because it’s 9cm and 9.5cm... and in the Penrose case, we need a minimum of 13cm to attach it. So I am really curious of what he took. (Original author)
That is very similar to the one I used. Mine has four buttons to clasp instead of 6. I wasn't joking when I said I really struggled to get the buttons to clasp in the post where I shared a picture with it on. I had to use a lot more force than I felt comfortable using. I didn't take the original padding off the penrose to make it wrap around or anything. I just stretched that Geekria headband to its absolute limits to do it. If you are going to attempt to use the exact same headband, start with the outer most buttons. Once you get those clasped, the struggle comes with getting the inner two to clasp. It is possible though, as you can see they do stretch enough.

Here is the link. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZEDQX..._t1_BZHQMGNAPNBTHWCQWES2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

For reference for anyone who doesn't want to search the thread here is what it looks like with it on.

Attachments

• 20210125_103204.jpg
    20210125_103204.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210125_103250.jpg
    20210125_103250.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #4,978 of 7,191
Good Night...To add more cases for others, I recently bought Penrose for PS5 ( blue one) and tried playing Fifa 21. Even though I wasnt very surprised about how Fifa 21 sounded, there wasnt any problems during the two hours I used them. No interference, pops, cracks, etc., and also, no connect/disconnect issues. Maybe, or maybe not, the reason for my good experience can be "blamed" to my room which is very small so I am no more than 1 meter away to the Dongle and the PS5. But next to the PS5 I have a Xbox Series X, a TV Deco, and an Internet Router. Also one Notebook, and a Receiver. So you may understand that there are really a lost of Waves there, but Penrose worked ok even Bluetooth Calls.

And talking about not being very surprised about how Fifa 21 Sounded, I think is quiete obvious....I believe a Sport Game doesnt test a lot the quality of the Headphone, even though I perfectly listened the ball every time it touched the shoes. Also, I use more my Receiver which has 11 speakers (2F,2S,2R,1SWOF and 4 Upward for Atmos) and obviously the quality is impressive and with Fifa you are really sure your are in the Stadium. So that configuration is not fair against a Headphone.

About Comfort, I found them a little "tigh". I think they press more than I want my hears and head...maybe they are too new. Also, I hate Headphones with Mics like Penrose. Why not something "stiff" like Astro A50, not as bulky as the Penrose and with the ability to be muted by only rising it?. Finally, Bluetooth...due to my work I receive lot of Calls, and the need to mute the game before answering due to the fact that without doing so all others in the party will listen to you, is something I hate. Why not like Arctis, when a Call comes, party chat is auto muted?

I all I have expressed above have created a great dilema...I want to replace my Astro A50 I am using with my XBOX Series X, with a Penrose X (which sadly must be bought outside my Country because no one here sells it or import it), but knowing the vastly proved quality of its sound I dont know if that is enough to bypass all other complaints or simple buy instead an Arctis 9X Wireless or try to buy a Lucidsound LS50X? In others words..is so good Penrose quality audio so as to make Arctis or Lucidsound not worth buying? I must admit I love the good audio, and thats the reason for my dilema...

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #4,979 of 7,191
Good Night...To add more cases for others, I recently bought Penrose for PS5 ( blue one) and tried playing Fifa 21. Even though I wasnt very surprised about how Fifa 21 sounded, there wasnt any problems during the two hours I used them. No interference, pops, cracks, etc., and also, no connect/disconnect issues. Maybe, or maybe not, the reason for my good experience can be "blamed" to my room which is very small so I am no more than 1 meter away to the Dongle and the PS5. But next to the PS5 I have a Xbox Series X, a TV Deco, and an Internet Router. Also one Notebook, and a Receiver. So you may understand that there are really a lost of Waves there, but Penrose worked ok even Bluetooth Calls.

And talking about not being very surprised about how Fifa 21 Sounded, I think is quiete obvious....I believe a Sport Game doesnt test a lot the quality of the Headphone, even though I perfectly listened the ball every time it touched the shoes. Also, I use more my Receiver which has 11 speakers (2F,2S,2R,1SWOF and 4 Upward for Atmos) and obviously the quality is impressive and with Fifa you are really sure your are in the Stadium. So that configuration is not fair against a Headphone.

About Comfort, I found them a little "tigh". I think they press more than I want my hears and head...maybe they are too new. Also, I hate Headphones with Mics like Penrose. Why not something "stiff" like Astro A50, not as bulky as the Penrose and with the ability to be muted by only rising it?. Finally, Bluetooth...due to my work I receive lot of Calls, and the need to mute the game before answering due to the fact that without doing so all others in the party will listen to you, is something I hate. Why not like Arctis, when a Call comes, party chat is auto muted?

I all I have expressed above have created a great dilema...I want to replace my Astro A50 I am using with my XBOX Series X, with a Penrose X (which sadly must be bought outside my Country because no one here sells it or import it), but knowing the vastly proved quality of its sound I dont know if that is enough to bypass all other complaints or simple buy instead an Arctis 9X Wireless or try to buy a Lucidsound LS50X? In others words..is so good Penrose quality audio so as to make Arctis or Lucidsound not worth buying? I must admit I love the good audio, and thats the reason for my dilema...

For me, sound quality is the first and foremost thing when buying a headset. All the inconveniences you mentioned can be figured out. You can change the mic if you don’t like it and manually muting it can be your habit even if Audeze doesn’t come up with a software update solution. About the comfort yes for some people they have clamping force.You can stretch them a little and make them loose. Yet you can’t fix the sound quality of any headset it’s the way it is no matter how much you EQ them. My arctis is a lot more comfortable on my head but since I got my Mobius I can’t even dare to put them on and listen to that poor quality sound.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #4,980 of 7,191
For me, sound quality is the first and foremost thing when buying a headset. All the inconveniences you mentioned can be figured out. You can change the mic if you don’t like it and manually muting it can be your habit even if Audeze doesn’t come up with a software update solution. About the comfort yes for some people they have clamping force.You can stretch them a little and make them loose. Yet you can’t fix the sound quality of any headset it’s the way it is no matter how much you EQ them. My arctis is a lot more comfortable on my head but since I got my Mobius I can’t even dare to put them on and listen to that poor quality sound.
Thanks for your words...I must admit muy great doubt is Penrose X for my XBOX Series X or Arctis 9X. And you have an Artics...Which Model? Even though you mention the poor quality of your Arctis compared with Penrose, is that clear the difference comparing both brands?

Thanks for your time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back