Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Feb 8, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #4,997 of 7,191
Hi @Audeze

Just cross-posting here from the Mobius thread
I've looked everywhere for accessories for the Penrose here in UK or indeed anywhere in Europe and cannot find either the semi-hard case or the Gel-filled earpads. indeed, even regular earpads. Do you have plans to restart your production runs or when these earpads inevitably wear out in a couple of years time will my headset need to be binned?

Also if you get a chance please see my post a bit further up. Thank you

chris

I did catch your other response on the last page, but HiFi Headphones sell both the semi-hard shell case (picked on up this last restock) and as far as I'm aware the Gel pads have been permanently discontinued, so any that are floating around are likely to be extortionately priced by a 3rd party.

HFH also stock the 'carbon' type replacement pads at £15 a go, but they recently stocked up and sold out nearly immediately.

Feb 8, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #4,999 of 7,191
The dongle is already within 6' of me, with direct line of site.

That actually sounds like a fault. I can go 25 feet with indirect line of sight from one corner of living room, out into hallway and it only cuts out at the entrance to the kitchen.
It's Victorian house if that helps you picture the kink between living room, hallway, stairs and kitchen out back.

Feb 8, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #5,000 of 7,191
That actually sounds like a fault. I can go 25 feet with indirect line of sight from one corner of living room, out into hallway and it only cuts out at the entrance to the kitchen.
It's Victorian house if that helps you picture the kink between living room, hallway, stairs and kitchen out back.
I agree, I go about 20 feet down the stairs from where the console is and I still maintain a connection. This is on a series X with the dongle in the front port. Haven't had any of the crackling popping issues either.

Maybe worth a hard reset on the headset to see if it helps?

Feb 8, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #5,001 of 7,191
I did catch your other response on the last page, but HiFi Headphones sell both the semi-hard shell case (picked on up this last restock) and as far as I'm aware the Gel pads have been permanently discontinued, so any that are floating around are likely to be extortionately priced by a 3rd party.

HFH also stock the 'carbon' type replacement pads at £15 a go, but they recently stocked up and sold out nearly immediately.

TBH I'd be happy with stock pads. But when I looked for those on all the usual sites they're unavailable.

The foam pads on My Grado disintegrated around my ears - and I've not used them THAT much.
The pleather on my Wife's AKGs shed themselves whenever they're used. But OE pads for those were still available.
And I've notice multiple other pleather and soft-touch goods around the house which seem to have especially in the last year or two self-destructed.
It's almost as if the demand for soft-touch without using real rubber / leather has a limited lifespan (or is it planned obsolescence ?)

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #5,002 of 7,191
The thing is, if you're going to get an extender that puts the dongle right beside you, why bother with wireless?
Was sort of a sarcastic joke. Havent tried on how far I can go yet but my arctis pro have had not one disconnect or even a crackle in the 5 or 6 weeks I've had them. If these are considered bad sound can't imagine trying the Penrose In a year or whenever I get bored with these and issues are worked out. Think they sound great now. Especially hooking up to optical from tv.

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #5,004 of 7,191
Was it worth the struggle?? The top headband really kills my head after about an hour or so of wear.

Thanks
I did the headband wrap and while it didn't magically transform my headphones into pure ecstasy and bliss, they do at least no longer make the top of my head sore after an hour and I no longer fiddle with them while I'm playing to alleviate discomfort. For the $18 or so I spent and the five minutes of struggling to get that thing on it was worth it to me.

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #5,005 of 7,191
I did the headband wrap and while it didn't magically transform my headphones into pure ecstasy and bliss, they do at least no longer make the top of my head sore after an hour and I no longer fiddle with them while I'm playing to alleviate discomfort. For the $18 or so I spent and the five minutes of struggling to get that thing on it was worth it to me.
Cool thanks for the info. Thats enough for me to take try them out if they help in any way.

Feb 9, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #5,006 of 7,191
Seriously, how is it possible that some people still didn't receive Penrose X that we've ordered in SEPTEMBER to EU distributors, meanwhile apparently some people in US have their since like late November/early December...

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #5,007 of 7,191
Was it worth the struggle?? The top headband really kills my head after about an hour or so of wear.

Thanks
Yes, I literally wore these while working from home 8-5 then an evening gaming session 7-1. 15 hours in 1 day. I had to adjust the top headband a couple of times, i.e. relocate it half a centimeter forward and back but that was it. Before they were uncomfy after a while.

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #5,008 of 7,191
@Audeze I have a question about Bluetooth connection with the Penrose X (latest firmware version)
Why, If I am already connected via bluetooth to a device (iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, mbp, etc..), I can't connect to another device by simply selecting the headset via the bluetooth menu of that specific device I want to connect to? (having previously paired)
my classic situation is:
last time i connected to Apple TV via bluetooth.
If I turn on the headphones and activate the bluetooth, the headphones automatically reconnect to the apple TV (even if I'm in another part of the house, of course) which turns on automatically from standby. The only solution is to go to the settings of the apple tv, find the device in the list of bluetooth devices and select disconnect. Once disconnected I can connect them to the phone / laptop etc ... the whole thing is a bit complicated, is not it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back