Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 14, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #4,531 of 7,191
So I connected the headset to the Xbox Series X. The dongle is in the front of the USB port and so far I have had zero connection problems, unless I am more than 5-7 meters away. The only problem I have is that Mirco is unstable and does not hold properly but always falls down. sorry for the bad english.

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #4,532 of 7,191
My first use after opening the headphones from the box and fully charged them:

35 minutes
2h 30 minutes
1h 30 minutes
1h 25 minutes
40 minutes
1h
1h 25 minutes
1h
1h 10 minutes
50 minutes
==============
First low battery warning
=================

I will keep playing and timing waiting for the second warning
Only playstation 4 use

P. S.
Penrose has a built-in early warning system as the battery level drops. It gives a verbal low battery warning once there are about 4 hours of life left, and a second warning with about 2 hours of remaining life
Wow, is this with microphone on or off?? Because I get low battery warning around 9 and a half hours with mic on and almost max volume.

Jan 14, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #4,533 of 7,191
Ibsolved My battery issue, disconnected the charging cable several times the last couple of days, and plugged it back in right away - today they lasted for 5 hours so far, and No battery warning yet 🥳💪
Still have lots of "White noise" in the right channel though 😩

Jan 14, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #4,535 of 7,191
The Penrose X with the Series X was unusable with friends in chat. I picked up an Xbox One controller and used this with the console... Chat audio sorted. Looks like the rumours of interference from the Series X controller are true.

Jan 14, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #4,536 of 7,191
Penrose
35 minutes
2h 30 minutes
1h 30 minutes
1h 25 minutes
40 minutes
1h
1h 25 minutes
1h
1h 10 minutes
50 minutes
==============
First low battery warning
=================
35 minutes
1h 20 minutes
45 minutes and dead

I guess i missed a warning because they say 2 warnings anyway pretty great for first use

I use the Penrose only for playstation. Currently only ps4. Waiting for stock for ps5.
No disconnects no noise no nothing perfect
I have lots of xiaomi 2.4 wifi over my house and no problems
I had sony playstation gold and astro a50 gen3
I needed new ones for playstation 5 so i bought these
I don't play the same game like some of you everyday so youll know all the sound.
I put a game and when i finish the game i put another one.
I was playing mafia 1 with my astros when penrose arrived
And just in the main menu with a lovely song and some rain i said woooooooowww
So that for me was enough to know thr quality lol
Now i use my astros for my laptop
I use the mic once ps4 chat and everything ok

About comfort i was afraid reading over here
My sony playstation gold are way to small and hurt
My astro a50 gen3 are ok but hurt me a bit by the sides of my ears because the are rectangulars more than ovals but i had no problems with my astro
And now with the Penrose i love them. They are really comfy. Tight but comfortable really
Such a relief
For reference too :I bought a sony xm4 and when i put them on i said ouch and i returned them. It was really hurting my ears.

So those are my impressions. Sorry about your problems but for me i only use them for playstation and 0 problems

I will write back with a ps5 hopefully.
But if i have 0 problems with ps4 i hope the same with ps5

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #4,537 of 7,191
The Penrose X with the Series X was unusable with friends in chat. I picked up an Xbox One controller and used this with the console... Chat audio sorted. Looks like the rumours of interference from the Series X controller are true.

Interesting. Mine should be in Tuesday and I can test this out as well to see if it is the case. I have a XSX, XB1 and a Elite Controller. I'll test it with them all.

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #4,538 of 7,191
tl;dr: If you're hearing crackling/popping, try changing your 2.4ghz wifi channels, it has so far solved my problems here.

I bought both the Penrose X for use with a Series X, and a Penrose for use with a PS5 - some feedback on some of the common issues being reported:

1 - Connection/Range issues: I was seeing this with both headsets, with it being worse on the PS5. With the PS5 dongle plugged into the front, using direct line of sight, and being within 2 meters of the dongle, I was getting consistent crackling and occasional connection dropping. What wound up working to solve this for me was, while I was toggling the router's Tx Power from 100% to 75% and back to test, with the headset ON, the router auto selected different channels to run on, I assume because it detected interference on its own. The connection has been fine in the couple of days since, and I am now using a rear USB port, too. I use an Orbi (5) Pro mesh system, with beamforming/fast switching and all that ON. TX Power still at 100%. Router is ~1 meter from the dongle, and placement didn't move in between having and fixing the problem.

Side note on the Xbox Series X audio - I have had crackling/popping/general audio issues (like 3d sound not working) while just toggling between Dolby/DTS on my home theater setup (no headset involved). I wonder if some of the problems being reported might be to some slight instabilities on the Xbox itself. A full xbox reset fixed what I was seeing here.

2 - On the wooshing - My X headset has this in the left cup, my PS5 headset so far does not. Fwiw, my PS5 headset hasn't been plugged into a PC yet to turn off sidetone, whereas the X has been. The X was a preorder, and the PS5 came from crutchfield in early January.

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #4,539 of 7,191
tl;dr: If you're hearing crackling/popping, try changing your 2.4ghz wifi channels, it has so far solved my problems here.

I bought both the Penrose X for use with a Series X, and a Penrose for use with a PS5 - some feedback on some of the common issues being reported:

1 - Connection/Range issues: I was seeing this with both headsets, with it being worse on the PS5. With the PS5 dongle plugged into the front, using direct line of sight, and being within 2 meters of the dongle, I was getting consistent crackling and occasional connection dropping. What wound up working to solve this for me was, while I was toggling the router's Tx Power from 100% to 75% and back to test, with the headset ON, the router auto selected different channels to run on, I assume because it detected interference on its own. The connection has been fine in the couple of days since, and I am now using a rear USB port, too. I use an Orbi (5) Pro mesh system, with beamforming/fast switching and all that ON. TX Power still at 100%. Router is ~1 meter from the dongle, and placement didn't move in between having and fixing the problem.

Side note on the Xbox Series X audio - I have had crackling/popping/general audio issues (like 3d sound not working) while just toggling between Dolby/DTS on my home theater setup (no headset involved). I wonder if some of the problems being reported might be to some slight instabilities on the Xbox itself. A full xbox reset fixed what I was seeing here.

2 - On the wooshing - My X headset has this in the left cup, my PS5 headset so far does not. Fwiw, my PS5 headset hasn't been plugged into a PC yet to turn off sidetone, whereas the X has been. The X was a preorder, and the PS5 came from crutchfield in early January.

I'm sure it's been said but how unfortunate that we have to change our existing hardware and/or environment in order to support this poor implementation of a wireless headset.

Jan 14, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #4,541 of 7,191
I'm sure it's been said but how unfortunate that we have to change our existing hardware and/or environment in order to support this poor implementation of a wireless headset.

I do agree, but to be completely fair, speaking only for my own situation the Arctis 9X and LucidSound LS35X were similarly unstable/unusable for me with the One X. The Astro A50's worked flawlessly, but in hindsight I now wonder if they weren't interfering with my wifi and causing occasional network problems while I was using them.

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #4,542 of 7,191
I have heard that the click in right speaker is due to pressure inside speaker, and it can damage the planar speaker... be careful with that.
Can you elaborate on that? Do you mean it’s a flaw or it’s a normal thing that I need to be somehow careful with? There is very little I can do as this click occurs whenever I move my head. I will be most likely returning the set anyway because of all its issues (although I do love the sound quality), but what you said is intriguing.

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #4,543 of 7,191
Can you elaborate on that? Do you mean it’s a flaw or it’s a normal thing that I need to be somehow careful with? There is very little I can do as this click occurs whenever I move my head. I will be most likely returning the set anyway because of all its issues (although I do love the sound quality), but what you said is intriguing.
I guess I have answered my own question: https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...cking-static-sound-when-I-press-on-the-earcup

Looks like it’s one less thing to worry about. Not a bug, a feature. Although rather annoying.

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #4,544 of 7,191
Is anyone *not* hearing an intermittent wooshing or windy sound on their Penrose? It's audible when quiet music or nothing is playing, perhaps 20% of the time. And it's mainly on the left earcup, so it's rather annoying especially for a headset at this price.

After some back/forth with Audeze support, their last message suggests nothing more can be done (i.e. no firmware fixes) and I'd have to RMA it and hope the replacement headset won't have the same problem.

I ask because I wonder if I was just unlucky and received a bad headset.
I get it always in the left earcup, and it is very random. Sometimes I can hear it 2-3 times in the same hour and then I don't hear it in the next 2-3 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back