Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 5, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #4,277 of 7,196
How cool is it that Audeze cares enough to take feedback from a forum and potentially make changes to the product? Kudos to Audeze for effort, loving your products and your heart.

I'd be cool with a poll. I vote chat/game mix primary even though I don't have the headset yet this just seems to make more sense. What would be even cooler is to just put a setting in audeze hq where we can pick which we want to be our primary so everyone gets the way they want it.

But I'm just hopng the chat/game mix dial works on pc. I've heard it doesn't (and neither does the software for it on pc). I get my headset Thursday but nobody has confirmed if it does or doesn't work on pc.

Jan 5, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #4,279 of 7,196
Are there plans to get it to work on ps4, ps5 and pc? the software has the chat/game mix dial. You'd think you could get it to apply the setting from the software even though I know nothing about software/headset design lol.
I'm guessing they are going to say buy the PS version for that. Doubt they can get it to work on pc though just based on the way audio is routed.

Jan 5, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #4,281 of 7,196
For some stupid reason the dongle only registers as an audio device when the headphones are turned on,

This is considered a positive feature by most. I have seen many complaints that other gaming headsets do not do this.

Heck your current product page says the Penrose is iOS compatible but you conveniently don't seem to mention there that you wont ever have, or be able to provide and iOS based app for utilization

They are iOS compatible via bluetooth, under the app section there is no mention of iOS, but you along with most others (me included) will assume that iOS compatible will mean there is an iOS app. Very poorly done on the website.

Recently I had an occasion to test sony wh-1000xm3 and they are like WOW, I got shivers and 'gooseflesh' almost immediately - I expected the same from Penrose, but nothing similar had happen :/

Amazed at this, or more so maybe explains why you found the Siberia 800s to be superior initially. The XM3s are a muddy mess with mid to low, a common issue with ANC headphones. On a pure sound for sound reproduction comparison, the Penrose annihilate the XM3s.

Jan 5, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #4,283 of 7,196
They are iOS compatible via bluetooth, under the app section there is no mention of iOS, but you along with most others (me included) will assume that iOS compatible will mean there is an iOS app. Very poorly done on the website.
Support literally just emailed me and said: "Regarding iOS compatibility, we have not marketed these headphones as iOS compatible. They are compatible with Mac systems, however, which is where that confusion may have come from"

And I am honestly way more annoyed by that than I should be.

Jan 5, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #4,284 of 7,196
They use BLE for app control and Bluetooth for audio.

Unfortunately, for IOS, it requires a LAM chip which is not in the dongle to do EQ/Firmware updates.

I am confused by this, on one hand saying that Sony use BLE for their bluetooth app control, then saying LAM is required for you, which is it?
The Sony app does allow for Equalizer adjustments and Firmware updates via Bluetooth connection.

Is the Penrose BLE complaint or is the chipset you've chosen simply not up to the task as you did say BLE is chip dependent.

Jan 5, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #4,285 of 7,196
Support literally just emailed me and said: "Regarding iOS compatibility, we have not marketed these headphones as iOS compatible. They are compatible with Mac systems, however, which is where that confusion may have come from"

And I am honestly way more annoyed by that than I should be.

Hmmm, maybe you should direct them to their own website, and I did point out this issue on their site a few weeks ago

https://www.audeze.com/products/penrose-wireless-planar-magnetic-headset

Multi-device Compatibility
Xbox • PlayStation • Nintendo • Windows • Macintosh • iOS • Android

Although, directly above that is:

Audeze HQ |Desktop and Mobile Apps

The Audeze HQ apps for Windows (available now), Android and Mac (coming soon) enable a variety of advanced functionality for the Penrose and Penrose X. Featuring a 10 band graphic EQ interface, sidetone toggling, and real-time voice-to-chat mix for Xbox Series X, Audeze HQ gives gamers unprecedented control over their audio experience.

That is not what it initially said, it has been updated to indicate the timeline. Initially there was no indication that Android and Mac OS would be delayed.

Jan 5, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #4,286 of 7,196
That 100% relies upon Sony, they currently have that locked down to only work with their own headsets. No 3rd party headset has access to the Game/Chat mix control, it must all be done via the consoles mixer.

Honestly, ps4 and ps5 are not truly what I care about when it comes to chat/game mix. More so pc. I have a pair of arctis 7s that on pc the chat/game mix slider works just fine. Haven't tried it on ps4 but the wireless works on ps4 and pc but not Xbox. So I really want is for it to work on pc.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #4,289 of 7,196
Our original design had the chat mix as the primary and volume gain as click+ rotate. In our beta testing everyone complained and we swapped it. Now it seems everyone wants it the other way. Maybe we should do a poll before changing them back again.
Poll seems like a great idea. I know the consortium here will go for the original way, including myself!

Jan 5, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #4,290 of 7,196
Looks like you've got the answer since, but here's the update. Gel pads arrived and very easily popped off the old and then put new ones on, feels very comfortable

Further to my early comments on here, sound quality still really impressed with, though I'm getting more frequent popping and crackling via Bluetooth or 2.4. I have tried multiple USB sockets without it resolving, and all with as little interference nearby as possible.
Is there any website that still sells these or any good alternative earpads to replace the stock ones?

I prefer suede over leather and the fact that these aren't compatible with other earpads on the market is a bit annoying.

All I see on their website is a grey leather option.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back