Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 29, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #3,961 of 7,191
I had preordered them in Zococity, and they told me that the Penrose are still in customs and that they only received the Penrose X.

Supersonido have them already in stock this afternoon
Zococity told me they will be sending them tomorrow
But I preordered them at headphoniaks

Hopefully tomorrow we will have tracking numbers

Studio22 told me the same just now

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #3,963 of 7,191
The Penrose X was not ready for release. Here is my experience so far.

THINGS THAT NEED TO BE FIXED:

It can't last a full night/day of gaming. It couldn’t last from after 10pm to 830am (yes, LONG game night). Low battery before 7am. My 5 year old ManOwar can still last 12 hours or more.

Don't charge unless they are turned off.

Sometimes the mic isn't recognized by Windows or anything else until I plug in the USB cable to the headset. Restarting the headset, switching modes, re inserting the dongle, nor restarting Windows would fix it. Only plugging in the cable.

The app will not apply any changes made in it until USB is connected, even if you load a saved preset. It won't apply until USB is connected.

Can't adjust EQ in wireless. EQ settings disappear next time I run the computer unless I plug in USB cable, at which point they magically appear again. Loading a saved EQ file shows the changes but are not applied to the headset. Still need to connect USB cable to fix.

Went into Windows options just to check and see if Atmos was turned on. I didn't have to make any changes at all and clicked ok, and my friend's voice disappeared in discord. Restarting Discord fixed it.

Sometimes things do not show in windows mixer so I can't change volume.

If you get out of range things like Spotify will stop playing and then give you an error saying they can't play the song, and the play button is greyed out. Then you either have to restart the app or go to a different song.

Have to restart games if I turn the headset on after I've started a game or I will not get any sound. Switching sound defaults doesn't fix. Restarting headset doesn't fix. May not happen with every game (I haven't tested), but it happens.

MISSING FEATURES:
Charge level. Can't see what charge level is at.
Volume level. Can't see what main volume is at.

THINGS I DON'T LIKE
Can't use Windows volume control
Can't mute main PC audio with a button
Can't charge while using? Only seems to start charging when turned off.

THINGS I DO LIKE
It has most features you could want. Volume controls, detachable mic, light but solid construction, looks great, nice padding, EQ in software with several savable presets which are saved to the firmware and (supposedly) goes where ever the headset goes, comes with aux and two types of charging cable (usbc>usbc and usb>usbc), bluetooth and the ability to easily switch between devices, connected to wireless and bluetooth at the same time, great sound quality for headset and mic. Seems to work great on my Xbox Series X.

QUIRKS
Raising EQ level lowers volume because of AGC (Automatic Gain Compenstation) to eliminate distortion.

If anyone can address any of these issues and provide some advice that would be great. I have not a single one of these problems with my 5 year old Razer ManOwar. Zero. Maybe I received a faulty unit? Maybe most of this is just software related and can be patched in the future. I don't know but I hope the majority of these problems will be fixed in the future because right now I wouldn't pay more than 80 bucks for this thing after using it for a week.

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #3,964 of 7,191
Got my Penrose X about a week ago and have held off on posting anything until I had about 20+ hours of listening on them.

No real issues with connectivity other than their range is slightly smaller than my previous headset that has a direct connection to the Xbox but has been bulletproof within line of sight to the dongle when the others could randomly flake out once or twice a night.

Comfort was atrocious initially due to high clamping force but is no longer an issue after some light stretching on a pillow and spending time perched on my head. Overall comfort doesn't compare with my Sony WH-1000XM2s which I can wear nearly all day but that's probably to be expected. Top part of the headband applies some pressure after 4+ hours of gaming but isn't a big deal, even on my shaved head.

Music sounds very solid and not fatiguing (using flat EQ so far) although that's not the primary use. Calls over Bluetooth were exceptional and I was heard clearly on all calls so far with no complaints or issues. I haven't tested this extensively as this is not their primary use for me, just an added bonus. Sound quality in all games is exceptional (even better with some of the new EQ presets loaded) and incredibly detailed while conveying dynamics as well as any headset I've heard.

Sound isolation is a mixed bag as I don't feel like I get a great seal on the earcups with my glasses on. Part of the issue seems to be not in the earcup material which is more than compliant but the stiff nature of the vertical axis swivel on the earcups which causes the pressure to be unevenly balanced along the front or back of the ear. More concerning to me is the imbalance in sound isolation between both sides with the left side letting in significantly more noise than the right including ambient background noise. I don't consider this a deal breaker, just an odd issue that I wasn't expecting.

The controls on the earcup along with the way they are mapped are, to put it frankly, a huge miss. I had more control on my $75 wireless headsets to control the chat mix and volume both more easily and in more usable increments. For chat mix, as someone above posted, it's nearly impossible to dial this in properly when switching from game to game as I've done on other headsets as the need to push and rotate the wheel along with far too fine of adjustments make it almost impossible to get correct quickly and without screwing up your mic gain. I can't tell you how many times I've run across the room to my PC to plug in to see what the hell I dialed in since it wasn't easy to tell from the headset itself. The overall volume is the exact opposite with not a fine enough control between each step of volume. I really don't understand the decision to set mic gain as the primary lower wheel function except for the curious fact that apparently the mic gain wheel also controls the sidetone volume in the headset. The previous wireless headsets I've owned have required a PC connection to raise or lower the sidetone volume which has never been an issue.

This all brings me to my biggest issue and that is that the sidetone volume isn't loud enough for me to game quietly at night. Even at max mic gain I end up yelling into the mic, especially during particularly loud parts of the game. I don't have this issue with the other headset's I've used where sidetone (mic monitor) levels were set to 70-80% of max. This also causes a secondary issue where I end up putting the mic too close to my mouth to hear myself louder which means the people on the other end hear literally every breath I take and reduces sound quality.

Final observation is that the mic quality is not up to par with much less expensive alternatives. Without prompting, all three of the people I regularly game with noticed a change in my mic and not for the better. One said I sounded more muffled, the other said it was too bassy and the last just said it was noticeably different and not better or worse from my previous headset. I've played with mic gain and position and I think I've found a compromise that makes the mic workable, however the result is that it's also the worst for hearing sidetone well.

The plan currently is to see if any of the above issues I have are planned to be addressed by future updates as, as good as they sound, they aren't going to work for me currently.

(edited to add breaks to wall o text)

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #3,966 of 7,191
Can't adjust EQ in wireless. EQ settings disappear next time I run the computer unless I plug in USB cable, at which point they magically appear again. Loading a saved EQ file shows the changes but are not applied to the headset. Still need to connect USB cable to fix.

Desperately need this, I don't appreciate having to plug it in every time I want to switch EQ from an immersive single player game to a competitive FPS.

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #3,967 of 7,191
I was increase comfort by adding some aftermarket pads. I removed the original ear cushions, kept the plastic piece, trimmed the edge a bit to create a channel for the new earpads to slip into. Feels a lot better. It's not the prettiest job, but you can't see it and it works :smile:
Penrose Earpads.jpg Penrose Trim.jpg

Dec 29, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #3,968 of 7,191
Created an account to share my thoughts and current issues. I have read the last 50 pages or so, and tried to apply different suggestions supplied throughout. I have the Penrose X.

These sound fine. I’m certainly not blown away as several others have mentioned, but am also not disappointed.

Had no issues connecting these and having them work on my PC and XBOX in the first run. I find the dongle to be absurdly long and unfortunately, it has to stick out the side of my X1, but not a major issue.

I’m not dropping connectivity or audio like some are. These work just fine. No pops or hiss. I did turn off sidetone before using; still don’t understand why someone wants their voice pipped back to them but to each their own. Range is very short, I move 10ft away and it will just say Connected over, and over, and over. It’s super annoying.

Connecting these via Bluetooth was a joke. The instructions just do not work. It took a long time, a bunch of tries and random luck to connect to my iPhone. I am unimpressed with the multi-function button and combination of that, and using the power button to pair. I will own that I am a very stupid person and found the included quickstart guides to be lacking. Proper function manual with trouble shooting would have been a welcome inclusion.

I did download the HQ app on my PC and loaded in the EQ setting that Audeze emailed. Currently running the Footsteps preset for Warzone.

These can get loud, uncomfortably loud. No complaints with total volume, or adjustment.

Voice chat on the other hand I can barely hear. Sure if you turn up the volume, it increases but you blow your ears out with the game sounds. Adjustment in the HQ app don’t actual stick. Saw the posts on clicking and adjusting via the Mic Gain wheel, which also doesn’t work. In game chat is whisper quiet to the point that I can hear anyone talking if Im shooting or there is a nearby explosion. Even footsteps muffle the voice chat. Have tried adjusting the settings in game without improvement. I have used a cheap pair of headphones and the mix was fine, so I’m confident that the game and console settings aren’t the issue.

I that the other adjustment wheel is for mic gain and not voice chat. This unequivocally needs to be reversed.

I find these overall uncomfortable to wear in terms of clamping force and hope they give a little in time. They are also super hot, my ears are cooked if I wear them for an hour

I can’t believe I haven’t seen more complaints on this, but why is everything on one side? I hate that. The Mic and jack plug could easily be on the right side, or the volume adjustments on separate sides to reduce on head adjustment confusion. I would be thoroughly annoyed to have these plugged in on the same side as my Mic with all my adjustments in the same, small area.

Also not pleased to find out there is no app for iOS and it sounds like no plan to make one. Don’t like having to run to my PC to make adjustments, many of which don’t stick, and then run back to see if it’s any better. And when these were geared for console, how is there no console app or control to adjust these? Seems like a pretty poor oversight

I did file a service ticket with Audeze yesterday after calling support lands you in someone’s voicemail who tells you they can’t receive voicemails and to call the same number for support. Initial impressions are not strong.

I have a feeling I will be returning these. Certainly not what I expected from a $300 headphone, or all the hype that took place on Reddit.

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #3,973 of 7,191
After receiving it no issue when connecting to PS5 however once plug into pc the popping and hissing sound is crazy.

Can turn the volume using keyboard volume control.

The app is as good as none.

Comfort is still ok.

Overall this is an unfinished product. I don't think they should have released this so fast. Gonna find my ways to return this.

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #3,974 of 7,191
So immediate impressions using Dekonis are that they they are 1) way more comfortable and don't seem to heat up on my ears nearly as quickly and 2) I am fairly certain I lost a bit of mid bass slam. I plan on letting my ears adjust to them over the course of the week and then switch to the old pads on the blue rings to give me a more accurate gauge of the differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back