Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 29, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #3,948 of 7,191
Struggled with the mic gain and chat mix as well. Had to connect to laptop like 10 times to see where the levels were at. (Greyed out on Xbox series x volume screen.)
Kinda difficult to push in wheel and rotate and not accidentally change mic gain or wonder if I changed mic gain.
If I could see what the levels were in real time, it wouldn’t really be an issue. (iPhone user)

Dec 29, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #3,949 of 7,191
Struggled with the mic gain and chat mix as well. Had to connect to laptop like 10 times to see where the levels were at. (Greyed out on Xbox series x volume screen.)
Kinda difficult to push in wheel and rotate and not accidentally change mic gain or wonder if I changed mic gain.
If I could see what the levels were in real time, it wouldn’t really be an issue. (iPhone user)

What, you need to keep the wheel pushed and scroll to change chatmix?

Dec 29, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #3,951 of 7,191
Lol I think so. Quick guid says (Press + Scroll Up/Down) I couldn’t even figure out what direction does what. Unless someone is talking constantly, it’s hard to tell.

Towards you is Up or Louder. There is a symbol on it, but the best way is to think about the direction you are scrolling. If you scroll towards you, you are upwards on the wheel.

Dec 29, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #3,952 of 7,191
Finally got the Penrose X (after a long shipping wait) and here are my initial thoughts after a few hours of listening to music (iPhone) and playing on PS5 (Note I don’t have a PC or Android so not sure of way of updating firmware yet):

- sound quality listening to music is excellent, great lows and smooth but powerful bass. No connection issues, though I do need to manually click the Bluetooth button to connect that way each time.
- a little tight feeling on my head (I do have a big head) that did loosen up a bit after a while so, for me, not really an issue, assuming it stretches out over time
- noise isolation is ok, glad I game at night as they leak in quite a bit. I imagine they leak out too, but did it get any complaints! 😂
- works fine on PS5 (initially) after switching toggle to PC. That said I do get drop outs on a somewhat regular basis with the voice prompt jumping in with connected every now and then. Used the usb slot on the front of the ps5
- do get little bursts of static here and there, not sure if it’s tied into the previous point. Did not try and use a line in input.
- “3d audio” is going to be divisive, tried it (with destiny 2) and it all just sounds muddy or squelchy with a real lack of detail, so a no for me, so far. Will try with Spidey Miles Morales and see if that’s different. But to me there was a huge improvement in sound quality after it was checked off.
- will test with Series X tonight and see if it’s a better experience with connection etc. and audio codecs on that.

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #3,955 of 7,191
Finally got the Penrose X (after a long shipping wait) and here are my initial thoughts after a few hours of listening to music (iPhone) and playing on PS5 (Note I don’t have a PC or Android so not sure of way of updating firmware yet):

- sound quality listening to music is excellent, great lows and smooth but powerful bass. No connection issues, though I do need to manually click the Bluetooth button to connect that way each time.
- a little tight feeling on my head (I do have a big head) that did loosen up a bit after a while so, for me, not really an issue, assuming it stretches out over time
- noise isolation is ok, glad I game at night as they leak in quite a bit. I imagine they leak out too, but did it get any complaints! 😂
- works fine on PS5 (initially) after switching toggle to PC. That said I do get drop outs on a somewhat regular basis with the voice prompt jumping in with connected every now and then. Used the usb slot on the front of the ps5
- do get little bursts of static here and there, not sure if it’s tied into the previous point. Did not try and use a line in input.
- “3d audio” is going to be divisive, tried it (with destiny 2) and it all just sounds muddy or squelchy with a real lack of detail, so a no for me, so far. Will try with Spidey Miles Morales and see if that’s different. But to me there was a huge improvement in sound quality after it was checked off.
- will test with Series X tonight and see if it’s a better experience with connection etc. and audio codecs on that.
From my limited testing, turn 3D audio off unless it's made with tempest engine in mind. Spider-Man should sound very good with 3D audio though.

Dec 29, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #3,957 of 7,191
What gets louder, the chat or game volume?
The incremental change must be much smaller in comparison to mic gain (7 notches) & main volume (? Notches)
So (pressing in and) turning it down will get to 100% voice. After some testing and looking at the application there are 100 increments in the game/voice mix. 100. Even if you take off head set and carefully use both hands, I guarantee you will not be able to adjust this without affecting your mic gain. Especially, when the actual wheel itself is flanked by the protruding wheel guards.

Dec 29, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #3,958 of 7,191
not sure if it’s a thing but, Penrose x connection on PS5 isn’t too stable for me. Not sure if the Penrose is better?
I believe the dongle is the same except the Xbox option. I know a lot of people had issues with the connection on their PS5 depending on which USB port they use. I'll try to compare how it does on my Xbox vs my PS5.

Dec 29, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #3,959 of 7,191
So (pressing in and) turning it down will get to 100% voice. After some testing and looking at the application there are 100 increments in the game/voice mix. 100. Even if you take off head set and carefully use both hands, I guarantee you will not be able to adjust this without affecting your mic gain. Especially, when the actual wheel itself is flanked by the protruding wheel guards.
[/QUOT
so just jam that wheel and rotate to find the mix. When done I lower my mic gain all the way down and click it up 3 times to my sweet spot.

Dec 29, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #3,960 of 7,191
@Audeze this has to be changed please.

Insanity having chat mix and mic gain inverted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back